Intriguey Adventures

The Big Peat

Darth Buddha
Bit of a weird and specific rec request this, but I'm looking for some good old fashioned Fantasy adventures with tons of intrigue, and lashings of violence and personal growth. I guess kinda like Tom Clancy stories, only with Fantasy and personal growth.

So anybody got something?

Robin Hobb's Series

1. Farseer trilogy
2. Liveship trilogy
3. Tawny Man trilogy
4. Rainwild Cronicles

5. Fitz and the Fool

Last edited:
Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis and Tracey Hickman, starting with Dragons of Autumn Twilight. Lots of adventure and action like Clancy, an intriguing mystery at the heart of the plot, and great characters coming of age amid war.

The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson is basically all intrigue. Plots, counterplots, secrets, revolution, betrayal, etc. Lighter on the adventure but there's some action.

Things got too twisty in the sequel and I lost the thread, I didn't manage to finish it...

I have never read any Clancy , I might be a bit off course
Gene Wolfe's The book of the new sun , is said to be one of the greatest fantasy ever written.
Jack Vance's , Planet of Adventure . It is as titled
I would also suggest books by Keith Laumer . I liked Future Imperfect , but it is hard to find . Laumer falls into the old fashioned Scfi adventure writer . There is a strong divide. with his readers , it is a hate or love thing . I suggest you try a free Gutenberg one first

Last edited:
Bit of a weird and specific rec request this, but I'm looking for some good old fashioned Fantasy adventures with tons of intrigue, and lashings of violence and personal growth. I guess kinda like Tom Clancy stories, only with Fantasy and personal growth.

So anybody got something?

The Dark World by Henry Kuttner This one is forgotten classic by an underrated writer.
Excavation by James Rollins . not a fantasy Its a bit like Indiana Jones . lots of intrigue , danger , conspiracy. monsters with a bit of X Files thrown in for good measure.
Conan The Hour of the Dragon By Robert E Howard This book has everything , An ambitious Undead Wizard, political intrigue and conspiracy. , war , a haunted Pyramids with vampires and monstrous snakes and it's got King Conan fighting for his throne !

Daniel Abraham's The Dagger and the Coin series has plenty of intrigue, and personal growth for two main female characters if not the men. There is violence, including some despicable war crimes, but not "lashings" of it, though, so it might not be bloody enough for you.

Adrian Tchaikovsky's Shadows of the Apt series has violence aplenty, personal growth all round, and some intrigue.

Neither series, though, is Tom Clancy-like. (Just as well, perhaps, as otherwise I probably wouldn't have been able to read them!)

Daniel Abraham's The Dagger and the Coin series has plenty of intrigue, and personal growth for two main female characters if not the men. There is violence, including some despicable war crimes, but not "lashings" of it, though, so it might not be bloody enough for you.

Adrian Tchaikovsky's Shadows of the Apt series has violence aplenty, personal growth all round, and some intrigue.

Neither series, though, is Tom Clancy-like. (Just as well, perhaps, as otherwise I probably wouldn't have been able to read them!)

A hit! A very palpable hit. He really might be the worst prose writer that I like the books of. But I really do like the way he constructs his plots. And in what might be the weirdest statement I make today, I actually think they're not too dissimilar in how they're structured as these big mysteries that the characters are chasing in action-adventure ways to @HareBrain 's work. Except HB is clearly a far better writer. But not smart enough to write about military hardware and how the fine ol' Irish-Americans will make the world a peaceful place and America the greatest if only we give them the power! Elsewise he'd be a millionaire.

Thank you all for your recs - I have actually read or at least dipped into most of them, so clearly you're not too far off :D

Have you read The Lies of Locke Lamora? Fair bit of intrigue, personal growth (from kid to adult, can't get more than that ;) ) and plenty of violence. It's like Hustle in a fantasy Italian Renaissance world, good fun, dark, entertaining.

The Dark World by Henry Kuttner This one is forgotten classic by an underrated writer.
Excavation by James Rollins . not a fantasy Its a bit like Indiana Jones . lots of intrigue , danger , conspiracy. monsters with a bit of X Files thrown in for good measure.
Conan The Hour of the Dragon By Robert E Howard This book has everything , An ambitious Undead Wizard, political intrigue and conspiracy. , war , a haunted Pyramids with vampires and monstrous snakes and it's got King Conan fighting for his throne !
Only three? What excuse of a list is that?

who are you and what have you done with BAYLOR?

May I suggest Up To The Throne by, er, me?

King of the Cyber Riffles by Talbot Mundy

Back