(Found) SF Novel, around 2006, Robot/Android with human consciousness uploaded, is investigator on outworld planet - Title Version # (some number)

Dirk Dently

Help is much appreciated. I can't for the life of me remember the book title/author and lost the book during a move. Here is the info I hope will help solve the my mystery:

• book/novel
  • Came out around 2005-2009-ish
  • Major Themes: human consciousness uploaded into android body, investigating murder on outskirt human empire planet, nano/tiny aliens become a super powered space dragon
  • Android with implanted human consciousness (former police/investigator killed in line of duty)investigating murders and corruption on this outlier wild west like planet, and keeps getting killed himself, reloading their consciousness into a new android body, hence the title of the book having "Version #" in it somehow. People are often teleported to this outskirt world, and horrible accidents happen as a result
  • Setting is a crime ridden outlier planet with lots of corruption and criminals living there. This planet is used to get rid of criminals in the human empire (sort of like an Australian prison banishment scenario
  • Main character is the Android detective/cop
  • It was a story in English
Thanks folks, for any help you can offer. Cheers!

Hi,

It's too old and the uploading of consciousness doesn't fit, but the only robot detective I can think of is Daneel of the Asimov books starting with the caves of steel. Possibly a spin off of them?

Cheers, Greg.

Hi,

It's too old and the uploading of consciousness doesn't fit, but the only robot detective I can think of is Daneel of the Asimov books starting with the caves of steel. Possibly a spin off of them?

Cheers, Greg.
Thanks, but it was definitely a early 2000s book and not by a big name that I remember. I think he was/is a fairly new-ish author in Sci-Fi. Best

Back