Terry Pratchett's Going Postal is On Amazon and Acorn

Robert Zwilling

Supporter
I haven't read any Terry Pratchett stories but I like the way the mini series is progressing. Don't know how faithful the adaptation was but in the mini series the blending of fact and fiction works out quite well and quite funny. The fantasy elements work out as perfectly acceptable story elements that you can accept quite readily. Maybe the lack of over the top CGI is responsible for that, but the scenery, props, and costumes supply more than enough to make it all seem real. While it isn't maxed out fantasy, the story doesn't need that kind of extra window dressing. For me, it is like a modernization of the Scrooge format with concepts that are more in line with what is happening now but at the same time it keeps the story set in the same time period with a much younger Scrooge character. In a weird sort of way the golems add a realistic touch to the cast of characters populating the story. While people like to sneer at snail mail, and trumpet the adventures of digital communications, the story does a good job of putting hand written correspondence back in the spot light it deserves and does a suitable job of putting down the total instantness of digital communication as all too quick to slash and burn the psyche. Although in the show, the digital service is realistically unreliable. Probably could have stretched it out as 4 46 minute episodes instead of 2 90 minute episodes.

The thing about Amazon is that there are so many shows that if you don't know it's there and you don't search for it, you can easily miss it. Acorn's inventory is tiny compared to Amazon but when a new show comes along, you see it in the what's new banner. Acorn probably wishes the new banner was too overcrowded to see everything, especially now that Brit Box is crowding them out of the newer material and mainstream older material, but maybe in the future, Acorn, and other networks will show more shows like this.

It's been too long since I have read the book, but I remember enjoying the adaptation.

... For me, it is like a modernization of the Scrooge format with concepts that are more in line with what is happening now but at the same time it keeps the story set in the same time period with a much younger Scrooge character. ...

That's because you haven't really met Lord Havelock Vetinari. :giggle:

“I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are good people and bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.” - Lord Vetinari

Oh!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had no idea there was a mini-series of Going Postal!
I am not on Amazon, but perhaps there are other ways...

Thank you for mentioning it!

I haven't read any Terry Pratchett stories but I like the way the mini series is progressing. Don't know how faithful the adaptation was but in the mini series the blending of fact and fiction works out quite well and quite funny. The fantasy elements work out as perfectly acceptable story elements that you can accept quite readily. Maybe the lack of over the top CGI is responsible for that, but the scenery, props, and costumes supply more than enough to make it all seem real. While it isn't maxed out fantasy, the story doesn't need that kind of extra window dressing. For me, it is like a modernization of the Scrooge format with concepts that are more in line with what is happening now but at the same time it keeps the story set in the same time period with a much younger Scrooge character. In a weird sort of way the golems add a realistic touch to the cast of characters populating the story. While people like to sneer at snail mail, and trumpet the adventures of digital communications, the story does a good job of putting hand written correspondence back in the spot light it deserves and does a suitable job of putting down the total instantness of digital communication as all too quick to slash and burn the psyche. Although in the show, the digital service is realistically unreliable. Probably could have stretched it out as 4 46 minute episodes instead of 2 90 minute episodes.

The thing about Amazon is that there are so many shows that if you don't know it's there and you don't search for it, you can easily miss it. Acorn's inventory is tiny compared to Amazon but when a new show comes along, you see it in the what's new banner. Acorn probably wishes the new banner was too overcrowded to see everything, especially now that Brit Box is crowding them out of the newer material and mainstream older material, but maybe in the future, Acorn, and other networks will show more shows like this.
I haven't read the book but was delighted with the amazon series. The characters were well developed and the plot was strong. It made me interested in checking out Hogfather which is another Pratchett story serialized on Anazon.