Malazan novels, Eriksson

pop-up-pirate

eater of burgers
:cool: Just finished the available malazan book of the fallen novels by steven eriksson, none of my mates have even started them yet. Anyone else out there find them as refreshing and generally enjoyable as me?

Do you have any idea when the new one is out. I made a bo bo by reading the sample chapter and the nice lady at my local Ottakers said it could be early next year. Gutted if so. Anyway, really enjoyed the first five. So many characters its hard to keep up. Some really out-there ideas as well. I was absolutely devestated when Whiskeyjack died. Its just not fair!!!

Howdy, and welcome to the boards:D

But unfortunately she was telling the truth, the Bonehunters (book 6) is out January 2006. Its annoying, ain't it:(

Unless you have lots of money, and can buy the various novellas by Erikson and Ian Cameron Esselmont, his partner in crime...

More information can be found over at www.malazanempire.com, and the malazan forum, www.malazan.com/eve

pop-up-pirate said:
Do you have any idea when the new one is out. I made a bo bo by reading the sample chapter and the nice lady at my local Ottakers said it could be early next year. Gutted if so. Anyway, really enjoyed the first five. So many characters its hard to keep up. Some really out-there ideas as well. I was absolutely devestated when Whiskeyjack died. Its just not fair!!!
The Bonehunters comes out in February 2006 (it was delayed). He's written it though, it's just a publishing problem, and he's started work on Book 7 already. You may also be interested to know that they're making a Chain of Dogs film, based on the plot of the same name in Deadhouse Gates (started quite recently, so a long wait for that unfortunately). You may want to try some of the Malazan novellas in the wait - Night of Knives, The Healthy Dead, Blood Follows etc.

Anyway, for more info (and like-minded people) go to www.malazanempire.com

HMM.. Brys you seem to know almost as much as I do about The Great One.. HE HE.. ;)

Can confirm BH is probably out by Feb 2006 (possibly Mar 2006) and part of the reason provided for this delay is for the redrafting of some of the family trees that will appear in Book 6 LOL!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

As some on the Malazan site have already suggested this smacks of a marketing ploy. Lets' just hope The Great One doesn't turn into another Martin or Jordan in terms of any delayed or prolonged release dates for the remaining books, one of the attractions of Erikson and his books for me so far.... :mad: :mad: :mad:

The malazan site isn't official, but Erikson himself visits it anyway, as does someone he works closely with him known only by the name of Patch. I only go there for the forums now, because they didn't get very far actually making any of the information bits. I trust Erikson won't turn into another Martin or Jordan in terms of having to wait for his books - He's already written more than Martin (and I would argue, of higher quality), and he hasn't shown any signs of slowing down his writing - he publishes about one book a year (though not always one of the main Malazan books) - he already has three novellas out as well I think (Blood Follows, The Healthy Dead, The Devil Delivered)

Brys said:
The malazan site isn't official, but Erikson himself visits it anyway, as does someone he works closely with him known only by the name of Patch. I only go there for the forums now, because they didn't get very far actually making any of the information bits. I trust Erikson won't turn into another Martin or Jordan in terms of having to wait for his books - He's already written more than Martin (and I would argue, of higher quality), and he hasn't shown any signs of slowing down his writing - he publishes about one book a year (though not always one of the main Malazan books) - he already has three novellas out as well I think (Blood Follows, The Healthy Dead, The Devil Delivered)
HMM.. good point. Yep I was aware he'd produced 1 book/year up to now which is pretty amazing really considering the quality and complexity of the books. Actually he's pretty much finished Bonehunters and at work on Book 7 so I guess he's still more or less on track for 1 book/year in real terms.

Only time will ultimately tell us if the final books appear with the same regularity but YEH I forgot to factor in the novellas... :eek:

Over and out... :D

Yes, we must remember that even withour Bonehunters, Erikson will have had 4 new books published this year, and one re-published. We can hardly complain.

And of course Night of Knives is just out as well...

caladanbrood said:
Yes, we must remember that even withour Bonehunters, Erikson will have had 4 new books published this year, and one re-published. We can hardly complain.

And of course Night of Knives is just out as well...

Bleh, The Bonehunters is not available through amazon.fr yet : /. I am dying to get it!

hodor said:
Bleh, The Bonehunters is not available through amazon.fr yet : /. I am dying to get it!
You'll just have to wait like the rest of us, doesn't arrive until Feb 2006 LOL!... :eek:

Just a few more minutes and it will be mine as well !:eek:

PLUS there is always the Father Christmas Wish List :D