DISCUSSION -- November 2018 -- 85 Word Challenge

Many thanks @Karn's Return for a fabulous review. You mentioned everything I was aiming to portray in my story.

My favourites this month included:

@dannymcg
@M. Robert Gibson
@SPoots
@Parson

Well done everyone, some real quality writing, it was indeed difficult to make a final choice on who to vote for but my vote this month is down to the simplicity of the story and the amount of emotion it created using so few words, incredible writing:

@Tywin

Many thanks @Karn's Return for a fabulous review. You mentioned everything I was aiming to portray in my story.

I did? :eek: It must be due to my inexperience as a reviewer then. :D Glad you guys appreciate my attempts at this, I avoided doing reviews so long after my first time years ago, when I just up and embarrassed the flip out of myself...

My Short List and **** Favorite **** (my Long List was pretty much every story):

A Recipe for Solace - Victoria Silverwolf
To Help With the Sorting Later – Tywin
Big Numbers - Perpetual Man
Life Unlived – LittleStar
*** Hanging Between Trinity and Death - D. A. Xiaolin Spires ***
Re-Generation – chrispenycate
A Single Occurrence Upon a Time - M. Robert Gibson
The True Cost of Exploration – Parson
John 6:54 – Phyrebrat
The Needs of the Many – Shyrka
2157 - Joshua Jones
COMPLY - Bob Senior

Thanks for the awesome reviews, Victoria, Parson, and Karn! And thanks for the short listings, Victoria, Graymalkin, and Hugh! And a special thanks to TheEndIsNigh for an actual vote!

Vince W -- It's a Numbers Game
Ashleyne -- 1 Sin Each
Cathbad -- Murder for Numbers
*Cat's Cradle -- Six or Seven*
Tywin -- To Help With the Sorting Later

Pedro Del Mar -- The Curious Significance of 12:34
TEIN -- The Numbers of the Beast
Matteo -- Seven
johnnyjet -- The Triskaidekaphobe and the Octogenarian

SPoots -- Can't Lose
Parson -- The True Cost of Exploration
Shyrka -- The Needs of the Many
Bob Senior -- Comply
Mr. O -- Is She the 1?

Special mentions to Perp for the ambitious story made of numbers, and to nixie and chrispy for the zebataurs, who I feel may be more than a bit derivative of ...something. It eludes me. :D

Also huge thanks to Calliopenjo for the lovely vote, and to those who mentioned my story. Too tired to make cake this month, so have some leftover Thanksgiving pie.

I enjoyed reading the stories - well done, gang!

Here are my lists:

Honorables
nixie, Victoria Silverwolf, Pedro Del Mar, M. Robert Gibson, Parson, paranoid marvin

Shortlist:
mosaix, johnnyjet, D.A. Xiaolin Spires, Shyrka, TDZ

Finalists:
Jondon, Daysman, Tywin

I enjoyed the weirdness, and ominous atmosphere of Jondon's tale; the writing style, and fine twist ending of Daysman's story; and the spirit and sadness of Tywin's entry. In the end, that surprise ending of Daysman's Fortunate One gathered my vote.

Thanks kindly to nixie for the mention, and TDZ for the vote. :)

ps - missed TJ in the challenge, and hope she'll be back very soon!!

My short list didn't want to be trimmed down to mosaix, Phyrebrat, reiver33, and Tywin, but needs must when the zebataur drives. Ah, yes, that zebataur - there was a small herd of them gathering round the base of the thread, so I coralled one and persuaded it it might be fun being involved in a poetical narrative (I might have been lying in this). It would be no major effort replacing it with a wildebeest or capybara (except that it seems to have fallen asleep, and looks quite heavy)

Thanks to the JohnnyJet for the mention, and Karn for the review (I'd already thanked the Parson and Victoria), while thanking Artorius and Culhwch for the votes over and above the call of duty…

And, speaking of votes, after a good if not great number of entries to the challenge, Ashleyne, D.A. Xiaolin Spires, D G Coates, dannymcg, Daysman, Eli Grey, Fivestrings, jackwinabox57, Jondo, Joshua Jones, LittleStar, Luiglin, Matteo, mosaix, Mr Orange, paranoid marvin, Phyrebrat, Rialto, reiver33, Shyrka, SPoots, StilLearning, stormcrow, Tywin and Ursa major don't yet seem to have voted. That's an awful lot this close to closure - and could possibly be attacked before 23:59 and fifty seconds?

My vote went to @Mr Orange. I have a short list and finalists, but I realistically may not get them up until after my golf tournament fundraiser on Saturday. Really great stories this month, and quite a few new faces.

Thank you to those who mentioned my story, btw!

Sitting in a cold car in a dark car park, and knowing there's another 90mins ahead before my daughter's swimming club ends, gives me some time for reading.

Top 3 from me

@Cathbad - a thriller with a bang
@Daysman - a far reaching close at home tale
@Tywin - a tale to nudge your thoughts and my vote

Thanks to @Karn's Return for the vote - way more than I expected this month.

Now, if I can stretch a leg there and get my head down here... nope, still can't get comfy.

I can almost always count on myself to report the votes of the Ursa jury with little time to spare, so here goes....

The following are in posting order within the categories:

Honourable Mentions:
  • Mister One by Jondo
  • It’s A Numbers Game by Vince W
  • The True Cost of Exploration by Parson
  • The End Is Neigh by paranoid marvin

Runners Up:
  • The Triskaidekaphobe and the Octogenarian by johnnyjet
  • A Single Occurrence Upon A Time by M. Robert Gibson
  • The Needs of the Many by shyrka

Winner:
  • To Help With the Sorting Later by Tywin