Star Trek: Lower Decks. An Adult Animated Comedy

I liked that episode 10 brought together all the loose threads from the season. It also featured Riker and Troi, and far more retrospectivity than the other episodes, with Exocomps and Pakleds. It's as if they suddenly realised, "Oh! We can do this!" I did like that when they were reading about the Enterprise and Landru, that the picture on the PaDD was Kirk and Spock taken from the Animated Series. And the TOS era stands for "Those Early Scientists".

This has started appearing in my Amazon feed. I wasn't too interested at first, but Werthead's review convinced me otherwise.

Just got to finish what i'm watching now and i'll watch this next.

I watched it yesterday on Amazon Prime. Quite liked it. I was doing other stuff while it was on but there were some funny moments and a lot of Trek feel to the plots being handled by the b-team.

Was actually a little disappointed there were only 10 episodes in the series but will be watching season 2 if one gets made.

Edit: I will say that I am not a fan of Rick and Morty (even though it looked to be up my street), so not liking that is no indication of how you'll respond to this.

I binged this last night and i enjoyed it. Glad to see that it has been renewed for a second series.

The voice acting and the animation was great and there were some good sci-fi stories too.

Watched it over two or three evenings. Some nice ideas and references. I agree that the second half of the series was better than the first, and that, all in all, Episode 10 was probably the best one. I'll definitely be watching the second series if it's renewed.

I just watched the first two in season two and so far I'm really disappointed. The first series was really fun but so far season two feels... meh.

I find the show and characters to be aggravating , unfunny and unlikable.
You're only saying that because I necro'd the thread before you :)

But I quite like the unlikeableness of the characters, it's almost the point.

You're only saying that because I necro'd the thread before you :)

But I quite like the unlikeableness of the characters, it's almost the point.

Mariner is a lunatic and Boimler is beyond hopeless. Actually , those two deserve each other.:)

I just watched the first two in season two and so far I'm really disappointed. The first series was really fun but so far season two feels... meh.
That's a pity as I quite liked the first season. It wasn't as funny as it could have been, but it also had more to it than a pure skit.

Fell in love with Mariner and the whole idea for the series once I saw her drunk and waylaying Boimler <3 Although there was some 'drinking' on DS9, Lower Decks just nailed the use of %. That 10 seconds did real wonders :D

Same here, but I try to keep my hopes low. Because if they get too high, it's going to be like with Drive. Good film, but the great expectations killed it (at least to me).
EDIT: Y'know, when I expect not much, I usually get a pretty neat surprise :)

Same here, but I try to keep my hopes low. Because if they get too high, it's going to be like with Drive. Good film, but the great expectations killed it (at least to me).
EDIT: Y'know, when I expect not much, I usually get a pretty neat surprise :)

Anson Mount was amazing in the role of Captain Christopher Pike , you can't help but like him. Pike is now one Treks most iconic characters and by far one the best Star Trek Captains. And Rebecca Romijin was perfect casting as Number One and Ethan Peck really stood out as young Spock . It's a great cast ! And its going to be a terrific show. :cool:

Anson Mount was amazing in the role of Captain Christopher Pike , you can't help but like him. Pike is now one Treks most iconic characters and by far one the best Star Trek Captains. And Rebecca Romijin was perfect casting as Number One and Ethan Peck really stood out as young Spock . It's a great cast ! And its going to be a terrific show. :cool:
I sure hope that is the case. Indeed it would be a pleasant change. Recently I've watched the TOS pilot and it was not even a quarter as good a captain he was in DIS. Still, he seemed a bit to... Stiff to my tastes. And he really liked those god references/sayings, whom I found a wee bit out of synch. Not that other shows would dispense with them completely, but he really seemed to use it a little too often. I know they are just figures of speech, but figures of speech shed a lot of light on the way an individual thinks. And ST was not famous for its religious lean. Still, I would really like the show to do Pike more justice, because the idea to recycle that character seemed a really good one :)

I've seen the first two episodes of Season 2. If the first season had its TOS in-jokes, then the jokes in this second season are very TNG orientated.

I do wonder if those who dislike this have seen enough TNG episodes to understand it?
I quite liked the jokes about Shaka when the walls fell etc.
Because that was quite good really, but from my experience moderating these forums for 20 years, I've found that for many younger people, Voyager was the first Star Trek series that they ever saw (and now it's quite possibly Discovery) and that only a few have watched all of the TNG episodes. There are lists of the must-see TNG episodes, but I doubt many of those lists will have The Most Toys, Samaritan Snare, Second Chances or Darmok included as non-skippable episodes.

Given that The Lower Decks is clearly made for a younger audience, it is rather odd that they are expecting everyone to be fully conversant with Trek canon, and particularly so many TNG episodes.

Back