Best Lord of the Rings book set to buy?

This exhibition looks very worthwhile:
Home - Tolkien: Maker of Middle-Earth

It was discussed in a fun, lighthearted perspective on a BBC R4 maths programme yesterday. It appears that JRRT made graphs and charts (in the exhibition) to keep track of the walking speed of the different characters and races, amongst other metrics.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bg1rwq

Not sure if this link will be available outside the UK.

My set, the same as the one you bought, Hugh, should arrive any day now. We've had some breezy, cool, damp weather, suggestive of the imminence of autumn, here (53 degree F this morning), and leaves are coming down -- somehow this always puts me in mind of LotR, and, it having been six years since my last reading, I expect to start a rereading after the set arrives. I wonder if others associate LotR with particular seasons. As for my associating it with autumn -- it must be something in the book, as (so far as I remember and can tell from my reading log) I don't seem to have had a pronounced tendency to read it in autumn. LotR has probably been, for me, a summer book, if it's to be associated with some particular season.

Last edited:
Hitmouse, it IS available here! Thanks. That was fun.

Last edited:
it having been six years since my last reading, I expect to start a rereading after the set arrives. I wonder if others associate LotR with particular seasons. As for my associating it with autumn -- it must be something in the book, as (so far as I remember and can tell from my reading log) I don't seem to have had a pronounced tendency to read it in autumn. LotR has probably been, for me, a summer book, if it's to be associated with some particular season.

I've just started, so I may well reach Lothlorien before you.

I'm really pleased with the set. I hope you will be. It feels a joy to be reading it.

At this point in time, I'm using the Companion less than I expected as there is so much detail in it that it interferes with the flow of my reading, unlike the Annotated Hobbit where I did not lose track at all.

I'm also having to do my best to banish memory of the film version, and read on a blank canvas. My last reading (at least 15 years ago) predates the films.

I've just started, so I may well reach Lothlorien before you.

I'm really pleased with the set. I hope you will be. It feels a joy to be reading it.

At this point in time, I'm using the Companion less than I expected as there is so much detail in it that it interferes with the flow of my reading, unlike the Annotated Hobbit where I did not lose track at all.

I'm also having to do my best to banish memory of the film version, and read on a blank canvas. My last reading (at least 15 years ago) predates the films.

I think that, when I reread LotR in 2012 and kept the LotR Companion at hand, I would typically just read Tolkien, and read the Scull-Hammond comments from time to time in batches.

Yes, we're going to have a problem with the movies' images and the actors' voices getting between us and the text. One strategy I expect to use is to listen to Tolkien's own voice from time to time and to look at examples of his own art.

There is also this illustrated, 2020 published edition - also available as a box set. I believe it's supposed to match the new hard cover editions of Unfinished Tales, The Silmarillion and The Hobbit?

I wonder if they will release a 70th anniversary edition in 2 years?