Discussion Thread -- August 2018 75-word Writing Challenge

Hi my name is Bob, some of you may remember me.
I wrote a story in a hurry hoping to get it in under the wire, it's not a good one but I wanted to participate.
Unfortunately I was in intensive care and unable to enter.
I probably won't be able to vote either as my eyesight is bad at this time.
Just wanted to let you know where I've been ( a really sick puppy ) and hope to show my poor effort just for the hell of it..
Bob

I wrote a story in a hurry hoping to get it in under the wire, it's not a good one but I wanted to participate.
Just wanted to let you know where I've been ( a really sick puppy ) and hope to show my poor effort just for the hell of it..
Bob
I'm really sorry to hear this, Bob.

May your recovery be swift!

May your spirit be buoyant!

Bob
Hope things improve and your soon feeling better. Sends healing hugs.

Bob
Oh alright, you're excused then. But only just. You were in intensive care, after all. Nothing less would cut the ice, Bob.

Best wishes
Get well soon

Bob

You're excused for missing the deadline (we may require a note from your doctor), but since you've admitted to writing a story, you're not excused from posting it -- you can stick it in this thread after the voting is over, in a couple of days. :)

Hope you're doing better!

I wanted to participate.
Unfortunately I was in intensive care and unable to enter. Just wanted to let you know where I've been ( a really sick puppy ) and hope to show my poor effort just for the hell of it..
Bob

Get well soon Bob. We miss you bro.

My heart and prayers go out to you.

You have a beautiful sense of humor and spirit. I admire your awesomeness.

Another Day on Yggdrasill, @Hugh – A tale, grand in scope and rich with Norse mythology, that shows that sometimes writing can be a right saga.

Look What They’ve Done to My Book, Ma, @RJM Corbet – “The harrowing tale of an author who’s works are corrupted by layers of busy-bodies and other well-meaning folk” was what I wanted this review to say but my editor said it was “too negative”.

A Cosmos Within, @Onyx – This story tells of a mysterious tome that contains the entirety of the cosmos within its infinitely-dense pages. I’ve heard of reading between the lines but this is ridiculous!

Inimical Odds, @Plucky Novice – The odds are stacked against the hero of this improbable tale of a fight-to-the-death. It’s sure to be the bookies favourite.

I'm currently away with limited net access - I'll try to get the rest of my reviews done shortly. Voting may have to be ninja'd this time too.

Bob

Stay well Bob, we've missed you. I hope to see you back in the challenges soon.

Ah, that's why we missed the mystic 42. Heart again? We're impatiently awaiting your return.

Wishing you a quick recovery, @Bob Senior. Your presence is missed.

Thank you, Starbeast, for the vote. I do appreciate it. It's been a long month it seems. I wish everybody the best. :)

After discounting the repeat non-voter I ended up with a shortlist.
pH

Whoa! We have a repeat non-voter?
I like that strategy, it seems a good way to ensure people who enter a challenge subsequently follow it up by voting. I might start doing the same thing.

Edit: looking at it again I don't know, there's been times I've found it near impossible to choose between 2 entries and almost missed the voting deadline, it can be a hard decision.

Another Day on Yggdrasill, @Hugh – A tale, grand in scope and rich with Norse mythology, that shows that sometimes writing can be a right saga.

Look What They’ve Done to My Book, Ma, @RJM Corbet – “The harrowing tale of an author who’s works are corrupted by layers of busy-bodies and other well-meaning folk” was what I wanted this review to say but my editor said it was “too negative”.

A Cosmos Within, @Onyx – This story tells of a mysterious tome that contains the entirety of the cosmos within its infinitely-dense pages. I’ve heard of reading between the lines but this is ridiculous!

Inimical Odds, @Plucky Novice – The odds are stacked against the hero of this improbable tale of a fight-to-the-death. It’s sure to be the bookies favourite.
Thank you

I voted for Cathbad. I thought that his idea stood out among the rest (but obviously not o_O ). Anyhow, there is a wide open contest this month with no one out in the lead yet. That must be good and makes a change, although a five or six way tie-breaking vote will be tough on the losers.

Good theme this month - it's brought out a bunch of different stories. My favourites:
  • Victoria Silverwolf - a nod to RB
  • Anodyne - Don’t do it!
  • dannymcg - in space…
  • Cathbad - Serial killer?
  • D.A. Xiaolin Spires - spooky
  • Joshua Jones - Discovery of the (Allen) key
  • Robert Mackay - Anarchy
  • M. Robert Gibson - a nod to HGW
  • Starbeast - caught!

Back