3 techniques to make dialogue in a group simpler

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Thought this was interesting: 3 techniques to reduce dialogue tags and cues in group scenes #AuthorToolboxBlogHop

Basically, if you have a group of characters but only a couple are talking, to help reduce the number of dialogue or action tags:

1. signal that only two characters will be able to hear one another
  2. signal the pov character’s intention to interact with only one other speaker
  3. signal that only two characters will be speaking

Might especially be of help for those who routinely deal with larger casts. :)

Might especially be of help for those who routinely deal with larger casts. :)

There is fourth method and it is making your PoV character to be the observer. Often in real life situation we are standing on the side, listening and watching what others do. As an author your (generally speaking :oops:) is to do the same. This way you can switch between above methods and not break the story. :X3:

Very distinctive, or formal, speech patterns can help reduce the need for dialogue tags.

If a servant always calls his master 'sir' and people generally 'sir'/'my lady' that can help things.

As an aside, although somewhat related, I did have a bit of a quandary about a mute character using sign language, and how to represent that in the text. In the end I went for italics within speech marks.

Having overused dialogue tags myself I can appreciate the value of this.
However this is mostly for isolating the dialogue of two people while in a crowded scene.
I've seen a lot of work put forward that is riddled with problems when three or more characters have input in a scene with multiple characters.

It would be a great thing to see if someone has a way of handling that situation other than to say 'Reduce it down to only two characters with dialogue'.

Still, with that wish pushed forward, I have to agree, when it comes to it, less is always better especially in a crowded scene that requires dialogue.

There is fourth method and it is making your PoV character to be the observer. Often in real life situation we are standing on the side, listening and watching what others do. As an author your (generally speaking :oops:) is to do the same. This way you can switch between above methods and not break the story. :X3:

Can be difficult to do this and escape the accusation that your character is too passive - but yes, one I like. One that feels realistic.

escape the accusation that your character is too passive

There is no point in my honest opinion for the PoV to be most active character in the scene if it doesn't need it. If being an observer fits the character then by no means you should do it. Say for example your MC is a reporter then sure, make them to stand at middle of the action and let them observe.