DISCUSSION -- March 2018 -- 75 Word Story Challenge

Wow! Thank you to all who mentioned my story, and humongous thanks and cake to my voters: nixie, mosaix, Perp, Abernovo, CC, Hugh and ASG! It's chocolate peanut butter cheesecake today, so good job, you.

The hare-y one was worried about my choice of hat, preferring the bowler as more fitting for the genre, but I explained that my 22 1/2 days of grueling research* had revealed the fact** that the fedora was around in the 1890s, so the most astute readers would be pleased with my worldliness and fashion knowledge. Surely now he will see that it was wrong to doubt you... err, me. :whistle:

*Ok, ok, it was 2 1/2 seconds of winging it, and my hat fetish.

**Oh, and uhh... his research.

Congrats, TDZ, on the victory, and the fine story. :) And well done, Parson, on taking second place. 6 votes!

Thanks so much Mr. Orange, for the late vote, and to everyone who mentioned my story, or voted for it. Fun month, and looking forward to more of the same in April. The 300 worder, too!

Thanks to
@Peter V and @Starbeast for the mentions!

You are very welcome, Heijan Xavier. Stay awesome.

Oh, Happy Day! Two votes and a short listing! Really, really excited about this development.

@Starbeast and @johnnyjet .... The two of you have made this month the best in years for votes for me. Thanks so much!!

You're immensely welcome, Parson. There are a great deal of excellent tales this month (as usual), but yours stood out among the rest.

Oh wow! Someone liked it enough to mention it! Thanks @Heijan Xavier

I highly enjoyed your story as well. You're on my list too, M. Robert Gibson. :)

A big thanks for the shortlistings, Luiglin, Glen, Starbeast and johnnyjet! Looks as though it'll be another nail biter, good luck all, CC

Heh heh. Relax bro. Keep up the awesomeness.

Shortlist: Starbeast - Fab opening line and it contains ice cream

Thank you. You made my day, AnyaKimlin.

First, thank you @Parson, @Hugh, @Peter V, @Starbeast, @Heijan Xavier, and @Shyrka for the mentions. Steampunk is not my strong suit, so it is great to see people enjoying my paltry offering amid the shiny brass mastery that characterized this month. Excellent job everyone!

You're welcome, Joshua Jones. It just goes to show you, you've got that great imagination in you to do anything, including Steam Punk.

loved many of the others I don't believe in long shortlists though ;P

Heh heh. :D Too many great writers here to narrow down my favorites.

Grattitude goes to: Glen, Heijan Xavier, johnnyjet and Starbeast for their mentions.

You are tremendously welcome, Chrispenycate. Keep up the excellence bro.

Thankyou for the shortlisting and mentions Shyrka, Glen and Starbeast

My vote: In 3rd is Starbeast , great use of dynamic imagery (and made me laugh)

You are incredibly welcome, Paranoid Marvin, and happy to make you laugh. You are the Rhyme Master.

PLUS, thank you for giving me the Bronze Medal. I am honored. I feel like I'm in the Olympics. You made my day shine bright.

Part Two (I lost the signal this morning, and had to return this evening)

Congratulations TheDustyZebra

@TheDustyZebra

images

AND, way to go PARSON
@Parson

@Mith - A huge THANK YOU for the "stealth vote" You made my night shine bright.

I found this Challenge really difficult, had no ideas at all and wasn't happy with what I managed to produce at the last minute, so thanks for the breathtaking pulchritudinous mentions and shortlistings Stable, Peter, Phyrebrat, Starbeast, Cat's Cradle, Shyrka, Joshua, and Chris p!

You are very welcome, The Judge. Keep em' flying.

Thanks to Hugh, Glen, Starbeast, Cats Cradle and Chris for the listings.

Thanks to Parson and Victoria for reviews.

I wanted to put up a tough challenge, then I thought that the stories would write themselves. After a slow start I had second thoughts, then I had trouble with my own story, what a month!

You're immensely welcome bro. Keep up the awesomeness. I'm very happy that you could join us this month.

also thanks to @Starbeast, @Cat's Cradle, @Shyrka and @The Judge for the mentions

You are tremendously welcome, Mr Orange. Well done bro.

Many Congratulations TheDustyZebra

Many Congratulations also to Parson for running TDZ close

My story may not have garnered any mentions, but it gave me (and still does) tremendous pleasure. I think I really enjoyed subverting my childhood bookshelf. In addition I always get a buzz from finding that I've been able to contribute another story.

Many congratulations TDZ for you sparkling entry and worthy winner. I would also like to tip my metaphorical hat (not a fedora) to Parson for making a great fight of it with a brilliant entry of his own.

Thanks again to scarpelius and Heijan Xavier for the votes and thank you for the mentions, shortlists, favourites and almost a votes from Hugh, Glen, Phyrebrat, mosaix, cat's cradle, Shyrka, paranoid marvin and Ursa major.

It was a challenging but ultimately very enjoyable genre and theme, thank you Bob Senior.

My story may not have garnered any mentions, but it gave me (and still does) tremendous pleasure. I think I really enjoyed subverting my childhood bookshelf. In addition I always get a buzz from finding that I've been able to contribute another story.

Keep contributing and keep the buzz buzzing :)

Congratulations to @TheDustyZebra on a well-earned victory. The early flurry of votes I received for my own entry (huge thanks to @Parson & @Glen) made me dare to dream for a moment but, deep in my heart, I suspected TDZ's killer last line would carry the day. Well played.

Um... without wanting to detract from the celebrations and congratulations this morning, I have to report we think there's been a bit of a problem with the poll.

We know at least one member came in to vote at the last minute but couldn't as the poll was already closed. Unfortunately, that closure looks to have happened an hour earlier than it should have done thanks to the GMT/BST changeover. (Give thanks it's not me doing the polls, as this kind of thing would happen every month in the summer. :()

We're discussing options of how to proceed, but if anyone else genuinely tried to vote last night but couldn't, could you please let us know, as that will help us decide what to do next.

Um... without wanting to detract from the celebrations and congratulations this morning, I have to report we think there's been a bit of a problem with the poll.

We know at least one member came in to vote at the last minute but couldn't as the poll was already closed. Unfortunately, that closure looks to have happened an hour earlier than it should have done thanks to the GMT/BST changeover. (Give thanks it's not me doing the polls, as this kind of thing would happen every month in the summer. :()

We're discussing options of how to proceed, but if anyone else genuinely tried to vote last night but couldn't, could you please let us know, as that will help us decide what to do next.

I tried with my 10 secret alternative accounts ;p

Yes, well, we could have guessed you and the Dark Lord would be up to your necks in secret accounts and late tactical voting. You'd get more sympathy from me for missing out if all 10 of those accounts voted for me once in a while. ;) :p

Last edited:

Back