Searching for novel with black, fat, hacker first name starts with Rama-something

AwkwardQuestions

I read this book in the late eighties or early nineties. Paperback version. The main characters are two young kids who create noms de plume for writing as opposing partisans in the internet blogs to great political effect. THroughout the novel. the other main character is a crafty black hacker name starts with Rama - something and he loves his food! He also has ways of analyzing info from his grasp of the web that is very useful. I wish I could recall the name of this book? Is it a CUlture novel? I m pretty sure it isnt. Help!

Regarding the kids writing in blogs to great effect - sounds like Orson Scott Card's Ender series. Brother and sister of Ender did that under the names of Locke and Demosthenes. First book published 1986. No character I can remember called Rama, but there was discussion of raman with regard to how advanced a species is.

Regarding the kids writing in blogs to great effect - sounds like Orson Scott Card's Ender series. Brother and sister of Ender did that under the names of Locke and Demosthenes. First book published 1986. No character I can remember called Rama, but there was discussion of raman with regard to how advanced a species is.
THANK YOU. I believe you are correct. Now I can dig further. I appreciate your thoughts.

Alternative possibility (from the 'very fat black') Charles Sheffield with "Cold as Ice". I can't remember what Bat's (codename 'megachirops) true name, but the puzzle network fits.

Aha, found him - Rustum Battachiariya - not quite a rendez-vous with Rama, but the eating sort of balances - I don't think Ender's crew ever had time to eat, let alone little enough excercise to put on weight.

Last edited: