The future of water

Harpo

Getting away with it
I didn't mean this as a criticism at all - I just wanted to point out that those articles depicted a very sad state of affairs.

A month later, and no improvement in Cape Town. Meanwhile, in Beijing....
As Cape Town Stares 'Day Zero', Beijing Records Longest Dry Spell in 47 Years - Latestly.com
Cape Town seems to be over the worst, the wiki page refers to their drought in the past tense.
Meanwhile, in China....

And as for dredging....

I can't find the quote now, somebody online yesterday was waffling on about ..wasting water in the future will be regarded as being "as socially unacceptable as blowing cigarette smoke into a baby's face"

a bit OTT was my thought on this hyperbole

Check out Fred Pearce. I don't know if this can be discussed further, though, because I tried it in one thread (ecosystem damage coupled with limits to growth).

Last edited by a moderator:
Read the letter here referenced in your second article here.

Unsurprisingly, when the other six states get together to make and equitable plan when cuts have to be made among the six states, California has to absorb 60% of those cuts with the rest divided among the rest.

Oh water policy, how fun!

Cadillac Desert by Marc Reisner 1986, updated 1993

This is a great book that explains how water policy in the western US got to where we are. Sure, policy has progressed since then, but he goes into detail about what Yale is calling the Big Dam Era (1900-1975)

Very few dams have been built in the USA since Reisner's book was published.