Peter V Brett; The Core

nixie

pixie druid
Staff member
Supporter
The final chapter in The Demon Cycle series.
I'm a third of the way through so far it is shaping up to a decent read.
Arlene and Ahmann are taking the fight to the demons, getting closer to the core.
Leesha, ruling the Hollow.

Inevera, desperately trying to hold on to power.

Anyone read it yet?

I read the Painted Man and loved it, but stopped half way through The Desert Spear due to the multiple man on man rape scenes, that really put me off.

Have to say when I started the second book I nearly gave up. The unnecessary violence and dare I say racist feel was off putting. Further into the series it dawned it was looking at things from a different culture. The third book in series is amazing. I do find some of the violence over done. In the Core Hasik is even more vicious than in other books and is building his own army, his recruits are subject to an certain operation that will make men wince, I think is been done for the shock effect.
Yes the books are good but not classic.

Overall I enjoyed Demon Cycle but the ending sucks, ignored a lot of flaws in the series as it was a decent read.

Now I've finished it, really didn't like the ending I'm finding myself reviewing the series in my head and the flaws become more glaring leaving a disappointing taste.
Yes I would still recommend it as an entertaining read but not a great one.

Just started reading this. The series went some interesting directions. Not all perfect, but a lot to like.

I think there were several weak and unnecessary plotlines in the Core. The ending wasnt a total disaster by any means, but I don't think he stuck the landing perfectly either. I guess Ill be curious to read any further additions to this universe, which will be coming from what I've heard.