Fox talks about what it would need to reboot Firefly

Sorry but I missed this thread!
When asked about this possibility in interviews, Joss Whedon has said that he doesn't dare try it. He's afraid that it just wouldn't be the same. The old magic would be gone and it would somehow spoil what's come before. If you consider Godfather 3 and the Star Wars prequels, to take up a series again after a very long hiatus usually results in something the fans would rather forget.
I'd agree with that, and I also wouldn't want to see a re-imagining or anything where Whedon was not involved. Additionally, as already pointed out, Seasons 2 and 3 and maybe more, would have covered the story shown in Serenity but over a much longer arc using Toby's "thing of the week" as filler. This is normal practise for TV shows today. Since we know what happened in Serenity I'm not sure it has much further to go. #
A friend bought me three of the comics. I'm not sure what to make of them. They're not bad, but they feel a bit short for the stories being wrapped up. I think, ideally, I would have liked the questions to be played out over a number of episodes or just left entirely unanswered.
I borrowed them all from my son. They are published in book form and there is thread here somewhere. I agree that there is some material there that might be used both in continuation of the main arc, and as back-story for characters, but unless they recast Shepherd Book then it couldn't be used. They are all going to look older in any case, and how do you explain the gap in time.

Given all of that above, I think it would be best to let it lie and make something else instead. However, these decisions seem to rarely be made on artistic reasons, but rather upon whether it can make money. In which case we will undoubtedly see some re-imagination with less expensive young actors and recycled scripts, and yes, probably talking computers and green aliens added in too!