Am I Writing Steampunk? Or: Is Steampunk a Dirty Word?

Tower75

Hi, all.

I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say here, so my hope is that if I put enough words on this thread something will make sense, 'cause that's how writing works, right?

I have a ghost of a memory of an idea that I'm trying to pen into a first draft (I keep getting distracted by shiny things, but that's not the point), and one thing I've thought about is, who actually decides the genre I'm writing?

Say I write something that I swear blind is fantasy but 1,000 people say it's actually a pseudo quasi urban sci-fi book, then do I argue with 1,000 people?

Here's the thing, the idea I have is neither "fantasy" (bearded, be-robed men flinging spells and swords being poked into people), or "sci-fi" (space travel and aliens and blasters, oh my). The idea I have is a sort of faux-1930/50s city. This is neither fantasy is its traditional sense, nor is it sci-fi, it's all in a grey area until I tell you that I want airships and steam-cars, "Ah-ha!" I hear you cry, well that's Streampunk!

Steampunk?; Well is it, though? Airships were a common-ish idea in the 1930s and steam cars were a competitor to petrol-cars and even outsold them in the 1910s, they were still around in the 1920/30s. When the majority of people think steam car they automatically think of a weird wooden-panelled contraption with cogs everywhere and a boiler on the back with brass funnels protruding about, however, I'm going for this:

S Car.jpg

Please note, I'm not condemning Steampunk here. I understand what Steampunk is, and far be it from me to brush it aside (I am, after all, not a published author and others who write in this field are), I mean it's arguably its own sub-culture, but I personally prefer my Steampunk subtle and sensible. Which is an odd British thing to say, "Only sensible Steampunk please."

What I mean by this is, I like the idea of alternate history and alternate, retro-future technology, but I like it subtle; make it look real, like it could work and don't shoe-horn it in everywhere. (Why are there cogs and goggles on your hat?)
Nothing puts me off more than reading a Steampunk story and everything is brass this and that and there's random cogs everywhere for no reason, and there's - what I would call silly things - like steam-powered hats, or chairs, or something odd like that.

I personally know people that won't touch anything to do with Steampunk for the very reasons listed above, and I feel that that's not fair on the genre.

I guess what I'm getting at is, I know what I like, and I know how people could label my idea Steampunk, while that's not my intention I know that Steampunk is also not a dirty word, but does one have any choice on that matter?
The other option is just to shut up and write the damn thing.

Last edited:
Can't see the image you linked to.

Steampunk involves a kind of fetishising of the technology, as you sort of pointed out. (That's why, for me, it works better in visual media than prose, in that you can appreciate the cogs and brass as part of an aesthetic rather than puzzling over their practical purpose.) If there's none of that -- and if you have reasons for wanting airships and steam-cars that aren't just "they're so cool!" -- then in my view it's probably not steampunk.

"Page isn't working"!

No reason why you shouldn't have airships. Do you also have aeroplanes?

Hello!

It’s easy to write steampunk by the numbers, without any original ideas. It’s easy to do this in high fantasy and the various sorts of SF, too, but because steampunk is a newer (sub?) genre, and because it’s got a smaller range of stereotyped aspects, it stands out. (You left out every character being either an urchin who is a genius engineer or an aristocrat with a double-barrelled surname). The smaller the pack of cards, the less difference it makes when you shuffle them. There is some great steampunk to be written which delves into areas of Victoriana that we’ve not seen already: séances, or the Cottingley Fairies, for instance.

Personally, while the Smith books do fit in as steampunk (or at least get described as such) I imagine them rather more as absurdly Britishised SF than a completely Victorian setting. Being set in space means that I’m not restricted by the real Victorian period and its rules, which is very handy. The other species and nations don’t have to be steampunk at all, which helps. Some more serious steampunk, of course, is written, often about the evils of the Victorian era. I’ve got to admit that I wonder why you wouldn’t write a book about the real opium trade if you wanted to (somewhat belatedly) condemn the opium trade, but each to their own.

Actually, from what you’ve said, your story sounds more like “dieselpunk”, ie the period between 1918 and 1960 or so, often including pulp and “weird world 2” themes, and usually with an American rather than British slant, as suits real history. That would also include crime-fighting superheroes and that sort of thing. Personally I dislike all this pigeon-holing and would just prefer “retro” or “low-tech”. You could always call it that, or “pulp-inspired”. My own preferred way of looking at it is to say that something includes steampunk elements, rather than it being a yes or no decision. As to choice, people will always make their own decisions, but a lot would depend on the cover picture and blurb.

Now write the damn thing!

This thing. Has this worked?

See, this is why SkyNet would never happen; the operating system's firewall wouldn't allow it to launch nukes and then the server would crash.

S Car.jpg

Hello!

It’s easy to write steampunk by the numbers, without any original ideas. It’s easy to do this in high fantasy and the various sorts of SF, too, but because steampunk is a newer (sub?) genre, and because it’s got a smaller range of stereotyped aspects, it stands out. (You left out every character being either an urchin who is a genius engineer or an aristocrat with a double-barrelled surname). The smaller the pack of cards, the less difference it makes when you shuffle them. There is some great steampunk to be written which delves into areas of Victoriana that we’ve not seen already: séances, or the Cottingley Fairies, for instance.

Personally, while the Smith books do fit in as steampunk (or at least get described as such) I imagine them rather more as absurdly Britishised SF than a completely Victorian setting. Being set in space means that I’m not restricted by the real Victorian period and its rules, which is very handy. The other species and nations don’t have to be steampunk at all, which helps. Some more serious steampunk, of course, is written, often about the evils of the Victorian era. I’ve got to admit that I wonder why you wouldn’t write a book about the real opium trade if you wanted to (somewhat belatedly) condemn the opium trade, but each to their own.

Actually, from what you’ve said, your story sounds more like “dieselpunk”, ie the period between 1918 and 1960 or so, often including pulp and “weird world 2” themes, and usually with an American rather than British slant, as suits real history. That would also include crime-fighting superheroes and that sort of thing. Personally I dislike all this pigeon-holing and would just prefer “retro” or “low-tech”. You could always call it that, or “pulp-inspired”. My own preferred way of looking at it is to say that something includes steampunk elements, rather than it being a yes or no decision. As to choice, people will always make their own decisions, but a lot would depend on the cover picture and blurb.

Now write the damn thing!

It's odd, isn't it, when I read Captain Smith I never thought "Steampunk", I thought "British, Imperial Space Comedy" - also, people give you some weird looks on a train when you start randomly laughing at the book you're reading - but I got my own seat didn't?

I'd heard of Dieselpunk, and it does appeal. Maybe it's that instead? You're right, there does seem to be a superhero-vibe to Dieselpunk... wait, I was planning on having a side-character be a vigilante... oh God Damn it.

Write the story you want to write, using the technology you want too.
If it fits into Steampunk, Gaslight Fantasy or Dieselpunk, then it will give you a framework to pitch it once you have written it and edited the hell out of it, but just for now write your story.

And no, Steampunk is not a dirty word, though steam engines are dirty :ROFLMAO:;)

If it fits into Steampunk, Gaslight Fantasy or Dieselpunk, then it will give you a framework to pitch it once you have written it and edited the hell out of it, but just for now write your story.

I agree! Write it, and see what it feels like afterwards. You can always call it something like 'pre-war' or 'post-war' fantasy. :)

I'd heard of Dieselpunk, and it does appeal. Maybe it's that instead?

Maybe I'm being too literal-minded, but ... aren't your cars powered by steam?

I'd forget about the pigeon-hole at this point. To be honest, one of the best ways to attract me as a reader would be to put "not pigeon-holeable" on the cover.

Maybe I'm being too literal-minded, but ... aren't your cars powered by steam?

I'd forget about the pigeon-hole at this point. To be honest, one of the best ways to attract me as a reader would be to put "not pigeon-holeable" on the cover.

I'm thinking either steam and/or electric. Petroleum being either too hard to get or illegal for civilian use.

I'm afraid to say I've got to disrupt all this nonsense headed wiffle-waffle about writing what you want. I am with the genre police and I insist that the good gentleman ticks at least one but no more than three boxes describing to which genres his work belongs before writing. Failure to comply will result in dawn raids from the genre police SWAT team and... oh. What do you mean I have no idea where you live and there's no genre police SWAT team?

Darn.

Well I guess there's nothing to stop you writing what you will... *shakes fist*

More seriously. If you don't want people to call your book steampunk, give them something they can call it instead. People decry genre and pigeon holing but these things exist because when you're telling a friend about a book, having a genre label makes telling them about it a lot easier. Even if you have to pile about four or five genres together to make it make sense. So come up with your own genre or write a sentence in the blurb that people can use.

If you want to avoid people putting you into a box you don't like, give them the semblance of you sitting in another box.

Yeah, that does sound pretty awesome. Americana Fantasy Noir in particular was the bit that sold me.

The line between fantasy and sci fi is about whether there is a reasonable and consistent connection between the world in the story and ours. So if there is an alternate history, a sci fi book (like steam punk) will have a rational explanation why the world took a different track. Fantasy is when the anachronisms aren't really explainable, and result more from the author's aesthetic desires, rather than a logical chain of events.

I really can't tell from the OP why his world is the way it is. Is there a good reason in the alternate history why steam cars would be common instead of light and powerful internal combustion?