Perp's Therapeutic and Nostalgic Epic Book Haul

Perpetual Man

Tim James
Supporter
The better part of two years ago I was diagnosed with depression. It is something that I have been carrying for a long, long time, but other than as a bit of background it is not that important to this thread.

One of the things my therapist and I touched on was thinking back to a time before the depression and the things that used to make me really happy, or I enjoyed doing. The idea being that by forming a connection with that younger time I might help myself a little bit.

There were quite a few things that I looked at, but one of the most obvious was books. Having always been a reader it seemed a logical place to look at. I am not quite as voracious now as I once was, but I still enjoy reading and going back to the things I used to read, rereading or reading those that I never got around to seemed to be a good idea.

So when the moment was right I made a list and started on a long term book haul that would see me scouring the internet for those books I loved, buying them as cheap as possible and also buying those books I had always meant to read at the same time.

The suitably blurred Book Haul as it stands (and sometimes falls at the moment).

What could they be?

IMG_20160716_1334455_rewind.jpg

I have just completed procuring the first set of books, which are the Sherlock Holmes novels of Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle. I first read some of them way back when, probably in my early teens if not a little bit younger. It was a time when me and my friends would try anything that took our fancy, in many cases those books that introduced characters that became larger than the pages they were born on.

I did not read all of the Holmes books, but I did read one or two and really enjoyed them. It seemed logical therefore to return to them read/reread them. The versions I chose had simple but striking covers, that looked good and the paper used on the cover feels amazing.

Like many, I guess, the one I remember reading the most is The Hound of the Baskervilles. there are a number of reasons for this, but the ones that spring to mind were the BBC adaptation that starred one Tom Baker as Holmes, something that was going to catch the attention of any Doctor Who fan and because the book is set in an area that is local to me, it feels familiar and recognizable albeit a little temporally misplaced.

The Baskervilles, incidentally are a real family that lived (might still live) in and around Dartmoor. My paternal grandmother always used to say that we were related to them and that they were regularly visited by one of the family members when they she was younger. True or not, it adds a dimension when reading the novel.

I`ll come back to this thread when I read the books and write some more (this might not be for a while), although anyone who wants to comment on the books feel free.

I'll also be back when I complete another part of the prolonged book haul.

Just what will be next I wonder? :D

IMG_20160719_1018539_rewind.jpg

Many, many years ago I was out with my parents looking around one of those big warehouse/village type shopping places (possibly Trago Mills for the South Westerners amongst us).

I was looking for something to read and stumbled upon these on the shelf. Back in them there days, the cost of a paperback was £1.50, but I think I got all three of them for something like .99p

I loved the covers and particularly liked the title of the third one. So I picked them up and read them.

They were great, great fun and I kept them on my shelf for an age.

When I was decluttering at some point they were some of the books that went.

However I later rediscovered Yarbro and I realised I had let some of her earlier books slip through my fingers, so when I decided on this therapeutic book trip, they were some of the books I decided I wanted to replace. Specifically with the covers I remembered. So here they are.

As far as I am aware Yarbro has had a long, successful career in the US, but never really made the mainstream here, although her books can be tracked down.

She will feature a bit later in the haul - but there are a lot of books I'm after and they are some of the hardest to track down.

IMG_20160719_1019355_rewind.jpg

Probably not much that needs to be said about this one, the last original woprk of fiction (probably) that will have Pratchett's name on the cover. From the snippits I've read, Pratchett had very little to do with the actual writing of this one, mostly lots of conversations and plotting sessions with Baxter before his death. BAxter said that he felt as though his co-author was with him as he put the pieces together, so hopefully a satisfactory conclusion to a good series and an epic career.

Thanks mosaix!

(I'm really looking forwards to reading them.)

I bought the complete set for my daughter when she was twelve. She didn't read anything else until she'd read the lot.

Her favourite line, that she reminds me of from time to time is when Holmes and Watson are waiting for Mycroft to arrive. He says he'll arrive at 10:17. (or some such time). Watson, looking at his watch, comments that Mycroft is late. "I suggest you adjust your watch," says Holmes.

Onc e.jpg

Not actually part of the Book Haul as such, but a week ago I was invited to join a Facebook book exchange by a fellow Chronner. Ultimately it would mean that I might receive a book from a (probably) complete stranger, one of their favourites.

It may well be one that the recipient has read before, or it might be something completely new and different.

In this case it was this. I have read one or three James Herbert books, but that is about all, so I am looking forward to reading this. Not sure when, but it will be read. (Although there is a strong chance Mrs Perp might nick it first)

IMG_20160719_1053171_rewind.jpg

Graphic novel time: The Earth One books are a series of prestige Graphic Novels, produced in hard back by DC comics. They feature some of their top characters reimagined in a more modern style by top creators.

The series kicked off with Superman by J M Straczynski and Shane Davis, which was excellent and a best seller, so inevitably it was followed by more, sequels and Batman Earth One by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank. It was worth it for Batman's first leap off the top of a building alone.

This is the sequel which looks like it will focus on Two-Face.

IMG_20160719_1052152_rewind.jpg

Obviously there is nothing wrong with picking up a Newil Gaiman book every now and then, and when this received a magnificent review in SFX magazine it was almost a shame not to get it.​

IMG_20160719_1052450_rewind.jpg

I still have to finish Erikson's original 10 Malazan books, so I'm woefully behind on Esslemont's contributions to the series. I think I have only read one to date, but I have all the others sitting there, waiting patiently.

IMG_20160719_1052281_rewind.jpg

I've been a fan of Gavriel Kay since I first picked up his Fiovanar Tapestry books, back when they were fresh on the shelves.

At the time I thought they were just good fantasy novels, but nothing too exceptional, however he followed that trilogy up with Tigana which simply blew me away. Some of the scenes ere so powerful that it nearly shook the page, and the idea of having a fantasy society that was superimposed on a strongly borrowed real history worked well.

It is a pattern he followed in subsequent books, and one that has rarely let him down. Even his weaker novels have something that sets them apart from the other material on the shelves, and although I am still a long way behind with his books, I have no intention of stopping procuring them, and hoping that I get to catch up one day.

IMG_20160803_1045592_rewind.jpg

And an update on the Book haul quest type thingy.

Good Omens. This is one of my favourite Pratchett (& Gaiman) books. I bought it when it was first published and made the huge mistake of lending it to a work colleague. Changing jobs and everything meant that it vanished into the nether, never to be seen again.

For years I have put off trying to replace it, but saw a copy for sale while I was looking for something else, and boguht it as it was a first edition and looked to be in good condition.

It is, not perfect but good enough, and it is probably in a better condition than my original copy was after so many people borrowed and read it.

IMG_20160803_1044328_rewind.jpg

Book Haul continues: This is an odd one as it comes with a lesson, watch what you are doing when you click on buy buttons.

I did not intend to buy this and actually thought I had bought another book, hence a surprise when I opened the parcel when it arrived.

That being said I'm prepared to give it a go...

IMG_20160803_1045381_rewind.jpg

I've often found reviews to be a double edged sword. An excellent review might not always lead to an excellent read. Obviously personal taste plays a big part in this, but after seeing the first book in the series get a five star review it up and was delighted to find I was not disappointed.

Obviously it had takne me so long to get around to reading it that the second two books were out, and had become a little collectable, the third, for some reason, being offered for some silly amounts online.

It is always worth having a search, found a brand new copy for sale on the German Amazon, being sold at cover price (and in English).

Nice haul, Perp,
About the E.R Burrough. It reminds me of all the effort I had to do to have the volume one and volume two of Patricia Mc Killip's books in that collection. First, I made a mistake and they sent me the 1st book I already had. And second, they did the mistake and sent me the wrong book. The third time and few weeks later, I had the right book, at last.
Also, do you know that site:
BookFinder.com: New & Used Books, Rare Books, Textbooks, Out of Print Books
I always go there for a second opinion, after Amazon.

Nice haul, Perp,
About the E.R Burrough. It reminds me of all the effort I had to do to have the volume one and volume two of Patricia Mc Killip's books in that collection. First, I made a mistake and they sent me the 1st book I already had. And second, they did the mistake and sent me the wrong book. The third time and few weeks later, I had the right book, at last.
Also, do you know that site:
BookFinder.com: New & Used Books, Rare Books, Textbooks, Out of Print Books
I always go there for a second opinion, after Amazon.

Thanks Elvraie, good to know that it is not only me these things happen to!

I have been using book finder and have found it to be an invaluable aid. Combining that with Amazon, Ebay and Abebooks has been a lot of fun!

IMG_20160803_1044186_rewind.jpg

Technically speaking this book should not be considered part as the book haul, as I got it long before I started trawling the internet trying to find who knows what, but it is there in the pile, is still waiting to be read so I thought what the heck, let's get a picture of it up on screen.

A collection of short stories, all related by the theme of the hotel in which they are located...