Great female characters in fantasy?

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
My wife just complained that there aren't enough decent female characters in the fantasy books I read...

Any suggestions?

By that I don't mean simply list every book that has a female lead - I'd like to hear from the female members as to which characters in fantasy have really stood out for them. :)

Ursula Le Guin, Anne McCaffery (Restoree, Ship that searches or sang, Crystal Singer, Mellony in Pern)
Maybe Polgara the Sorceress (in several Eddings books) and some other Eddings characters.
My wife doesn't like fantasy at all. My daughter and one of my daughter-in-laws does though.
What does Teresa Edgerton think?

Hey Brian, I'm going to go off a bit for a week or so on Guns of the Dawn because I'm just finishing it and loved it.

The MC, Emily is a great character. She is a from a once well-off family, and her name still holds a lot of pull. Through a war effort gone on way too long, families are forced to send a woman into the army. While most houses send servants in their stead, Emily goes herself because she feels it is her duty, not the young maid or older cook. She is a great character, and we see how she grows and adapts to this new life. I like an ass-kicking heroine like Abercrombie does every now and then, but I almost prefer a realistic portrayal, of someone thrust into a role she knows nothing about, and how she deals with the tough men, enemies, and the loss of people around her. A really great read and I highly recommend it. The whole book is in her POV too, in third so for a large enough book, we only have her story, which I liked too.

Hobb often has some great characters too. Starling, Althea Vestrit, Kettricken, Nettle, and the MC from the Rain Wild books, who's name is escaping me now. She starts off a little simpering, but hardens and becomes a good character. That series also has a young malformed Rain Wilds girl that was a decent character.

I always liked Zohra in the Weis/Hickman Rose of the Prophet trilogy. But it's been a few (ok, couple dozen) years.

Althea Vestrit in the Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb. She holds her own against a whole host of supporting male characters and makes for an interesting comparison with Hobb's better-known protagonist, Fitz. Althea knows her own mind and gets stuff done while Fitz, love him though I do, spends a lot of time faffing about. I've always found Hobb's female characters excellently written.

It maybe me but Eddings female characters irritated the life out of me.

Agree. Weakest part of his writing and Robert Jordan as well.

Strong characters? Ash in Mary Gentle's Ash. It was the first fantasy book I read from the PoV of a female character and loved it.

Agree. Weakest part of his writing and Robert Jordan as well.

Strong characters? Ash in Mary Gentle's Ash. It was the first fantasy book I read from the PoV of a female character and loved it.
Forgot about Ash, she is one of the best female characters there is. I did struggle to get past first few pages but it is worth it.

The female leads in Graceling, and then Fire.

And I rate most of the female characters in the Green Rider set, though the latest book was very odd.

Galadriel was one of the very best in my opinion. Cate Blanchett rendered an excellent version of the character in film as well.

I've heard there's this kick-ass woman called Orlanda Nixon, who has some hard core alien, sentient, powered armour in a forthcoming novel titled Liberator...

For the purposes of character development, focusing on Sansa Stark's journey is well worth it. Her 'decision tree' is quite something.
Have a read of Fight Like a Girl too as you'll find plenty of different perspectives in that.

Fuschia Groan in Titus Groan and Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake

Back