NO SPOILERS! Boycotting the latest series on telly

Narkalui

Nerf Herder
I've been boycotting series 6 because TV has overtaken the books. Should I just say 'to he'll with it' and watch the new series or should I continue being patient and maintain my vigil?

Are you confident the books will ever arrive?

It's your call to make, no one else's. How successful have you been so far in staying ignorant of the big reveals so far this season? If you are immersed in the internet, particularly those parts entrenched in pop culture, then it may be difficult to avoid spoilers, especially as the show comes to a spectacular (hopefully) end. And if you aren't keeping up with the show, then you are going to be spoiled for both. The way I figure it, I keep up with show because I'm going to find out one way or another, and I'd rather enjoy it fresh in one medium than not in either. And I also know the books are going to be full of so much more depth (not to mention differences) that watching the show now is going to have little to no impact on my enjoyment of the books later.

I've been boycotting series 6 because TV has overtaken the books. Should I just say 'to he'll with it' and watch the new series or should I continue being patient and maintain my vigil?
What I'm doing is treating the TV show as a separate entity from the books. I've actually enjoyed this season more than any other one because I haven't known what's coming many times, but I will also be able to enjoy the book when it comes out because I know that they will be many things that Martin will do differently than the show did. My advice would be to watch the show and enjoy it for what it is. Also, if the books never come out you at least have an idea of what happens with the story. It's hard to believe that in a couple of weeks it's going to be five years since Dance was published. I never would have believed it that would be waiting 5 years without Winds being announced. I have confidence that Martin will eventually publish Winds, but all bets are off when it comes to whether or not he is ever going to finish the series.

I have confidence that Martin will eventually publish Winds, but all bets are off when it comes to whether or not he is ever going to finish the series.

Even if Martin doesn't finish it, someone will. His publishers will make sure of that. But I do hope it's Martin who finishes what he started.

Even if Martin doesn't finish it, someone will. His publishers will make sure of that. But I do hope it's Martin who finishes what he started.
I thought he had said thst wouldn't happen. This eas a few years sgo, so maybe I'm not remembering accurately.

I've never seen that written, but could be. I'd be disappointed if that was the case, and he had some clause in his deal that specifically said no one could finish them if the worst was to happen.

I decided early on that I must view the TV series as separate from the books. If the show had been terrible (case in point, Legend of the Seeker!! worst show ever, I would get angry just reading the episode blurb!!) I simply would have stopped watching. But as the show turned out to be excellent (IMHO) I knew there would be differences, so in order to not spoil it by constantly picking it apart, I chose to enjoy it for itself.

I also agree with Imp that this season has been great due to the fact that I don't know what is coming. Yet the fact remains that the books must (due to many factors) be somewhat different. I guess we must continue to wait to see how different!

books and show are def. different, but seeing as you've watched till season 5 you know that already. The show does follow the general story arc (though it changes a lot of details, the players, ...). It's not the same but you do get a grasp of were GRRM is going overall with the books. Which is above all why i'm watching it. I want to know how the overall story at least will end. Will I have been spoiled a bit if the books ever do get released after all? Undoubtedly. But that is a big IF. Plus (and this may sound grim), you never know what will happen in life, we can all be be struck down by lightening, a meteor can crash, or something more mundane can happen to any of us. Better to have seen it then.

I hadn't watched it and I met with minimum spoilers. Literally have no idea what is happening in the show and I feel no desire to know. Then again, I dropped the show 2 seasons ago so that might not be the situation you are in. I an not very averse to spoilers because I simply don't care so I will maintain my watch until the day books come out and I can then proudly say that my watch has ended. xD

I read the episode synopses on Winter is Coming, then wait for nearly a year to see the season (on Blu-ray).

Like The Imp, I treat the show as a separate entity. In the early seasons, which were a lot closer to the books, it didn't matter: I'd already read the books. Now that the show has diverged considerably, there are less and less spoilers (because even where the show's version of something is what will eventually appear in the books, I won't know that until I've actually read the books).

Oh, and the richness of story (as opposed to the settings) simply can't all be on the screen: the show only has ten episodes a season, and most last under an hour.

A friend from school who is an avid reader of the books and watcher of the tv series has teased me for boycotting the series. He told me to stop being a pretentious so-and-so.

OK, I'm going to watch it.

A friend from school who is an avid reader of the books and watcher of the tv series has teased me for boycotting the series. He told me to stop being a pretentious so-and-so.

OK, I'm going to watch it.
You won't be sorry. :)

Back