Assassin's Creed (2016)

I'm normally pretty dubious of computer game adaptions, possibly unfairly these days - but this looks very good.

I'm not a game player, but I read the first novels a few years ago. I intend to see the movie after Christmas with my family. I really cannot say *no* to Michael Fassbender, so most probably I will love it, too. :D

That once was quite weak. So far, Michael Fassbender had intersting roles, so I hope this one will not disappoint me either. I promise I will get back to confirm once I'll see it.

Last edited:
I forgot to come back and comment this one. I honestly prefer the novel to the movie which was a great disappointment. If you didn't see it yet, but you are still interested, wait for the free one on TV channels.

I forgot, too! I enjoyed it, but wanted much more in the medieval world. Wasn't convinced in the slightest by Marion Cotillard, I'm sorry to say. Didn't know there was a novel, so that's a treat to come.

It was a forgettable film. Didn't make a huge impression on me either.

The film's purpose was to set up the franchise for future ones. I enjoyed it but felt that non-gamers might be a bit bewildered.

The books are about the video games, but there is an issue with the books, too, which I'll comment on in a bit (apart from the fact I think they're dreadfully written!!!). When Sony approached Ubisoft (the creators of AC) years ago trying to option the movie rights, they refused. In many interviews they'd said that they were not going to rush out a movie for the sake of money. They believed in their IP and there is such a strong continuity to the world and the worldbuilding is so robust and integral between each game, they were waiting until the right narrative came along.

In that regard they had never intended to follow the games (therefore novels), because the blueprint set for that with previous video game movies hasn't worked well at all. What is consistent with the games is the pieces of Eden that are featured in the film (the Apple of Eden) (basically the Brotherhood are trying to stop the Templars - Abstergo - get hold of any of these artefacts.)

And that's where the books fall flat for me. There is a massive scifi element to AC that is not even mentioned in the books.

The First Civilisation came millions of years before humans and we were engineered by these aliens who we saw as gods. A sun storm later wiped out the planet.

Adam and Eve come from the FC, and lot of artifacts from the FC are scattered around Earth. We - as assassins in the game - have to stop the bad guys (Templars) from getting them. It also brings in corrupt gods based on Graeco-Roman traditions, such as Juno & Hera. Assassins are special humans with indicator genes from these creator gods.

AC lore covers various dynasties - the Inquisiiton has not been explored in games and was what the film explored. Incidentally, I think the next game is one of the Pharoahnic dynasties, (so I'm praying it's Akhnaten who was declared a heretic).

So, for me, the film was enjoyable but only the tiniest tip of a huge iceberg. I'm looking forward to this franchise expanding for years!

pH

The film's purpose was to set up the franchise for future ones. I enjoyed it but felt that non-gamers might be a bit bewildered.

I'd actually disagree with that - I'm not a gamer and didn't feel in the slightest bewildered