Searching for a flower
Title Legend of the Scarlet Blades
Published by Humanoids
Written by Saverio Tenuta
Art by Saverio Tenuta
Number of volumes 4
Pages per issue 51

DIG054898_1._SX640_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Some of you might recall my review on Izunas from earlier. Legend of the Scarlet Blades is a series of 4 volumes which is the first time we visit this mythical world of samurai and their magical wildlands.

The artwork is as with many Humanoids publications, fantastic; detailed and with a strong style that makes for easy viewing and a pleasing follow of the action. Indeed the colour pallet well highlights this bright snowy world and the crimson tide that sweeps through it in this story.

The story is very stand alone and indeed Izuna if anything, answers far more questions (having read Izuna before this series). The story kicks off in a novel way and indeed the preview 3 pages did worry me that it was more quirky than it actually is; this is because the opening is a puppet play of a few pages that sets part of a story and introduces our two lead characters. Furthermore the story kicks off part way through; indeed we come into the story near its final chapter and yet with amnesia we are led through revelations of the past that slowly fill in the gaps. It makes for very engaging reading that make each page turn effortlessly and keeps the pace going well without feeling forced nor contrived.

It's a fantastic story and any who have a love of anime series such as the Studio Ghibli classics will feel right at home with this mythical world; although I will say that this story is far more bloody. Indeed the story itself has a few very dark twists to it and the overall major plot is very sinister and yet is also grounded very heavily in a high degree of innocence.

Overall I would heartily recommend this series!

ps this weekend there's a sale on at Comixology so you can get 50% off each volume - which if you read on a tablet or your PC makes for fantastic value!