International Women's Day -- WomenAloudNI

Kerrybuchanan

Delusions of Grammar
Supporter
@Jo Zebedee is probably too modest to post about this, but today she is helping to organise a reading and performance event here in Northern Ireland, Women Aloud NI 2016 which is set up to raise awareness for women writers, poets, playwrights, songwriters, etc.

All over Northern Ireland and in parts of the rest of the world, women are coming together in bookshops, libraries, church halls and any space that'll take us, and we're reading poetry, short stories, plays, telling tales and making music. Its an amazing project and I'm proud to be involved in it. There are more than 130 of us, of all ages and backgrounds. It's such a buzz.

If you want to follow, look out for the Twitter tag #WomenAloudNI, or check us out on Facebook.

Thanks all! It was a great day and a testament to what can be done.

3 months ago a local writer, Jane Talbot, came up with the idea of having a day to mark the female writers in NI. From that idea, we (I found myself on the committee...) ended up with a new network of women writers (which is a much more vibrant scene than I ever imagined), events throughout NI, plus one in Scotland and in Mellorca.

In all over 130 writers read their work today in venues ranging from bookstore chains, independents, libraries, the Guildhall in Derry...There has been tv coverage, radio interviews, and now, a lot of exhausted people. (I did a tv interview at 11, ran an event between 12-2, attended and read at another event.) It's all over social media.

In all, a great day, one hopefully to be repeated next year, and an example of what can be done when a community pulls together with a little bit of vision.

Back