6.11: The Walking Dead - Knots Untie

ctg

weaver of the unseen
jcDWW3z.jpg

Rick (Photo By Gene Page/AMC) - Dale's truck seem to be able to taking beating after beating. I love seeing it in the set.

After Rick comes to the realization that Alexandria might not be as safe as he thought, decisions must be made about where to go from here.

From very first second I was getting chillies. For multiple reasons.

Well, last time we met another community, things didn't go well. But thing is, Hilltop doesn't give out same wipe what we got from Governor's settlements (Woodbury or River Camp). It's a place that's much better built from survival perspective than Alexandria. In fact, they have everything else but the ammo and fighters - which I find unbelievable. What happened to them?

How can they survive in the world that's so freaking violent?

Did Neegan take them out to keep peasants from rioting? I mean, if you listen Greogory carefully, you can hear the fear he has on that man! Almost at to the point that Hilltop's big man seems like he's a weakling. One, who I personally wouldn't trust with everything. Yet, even though Jesus seems more than capable, he prefers Gregory holding the reins. Is that because Jesus wants to remain independent and free?

There are many things that fills me with dread even though I should feel excited. Why?

...fighters... What happened to them? ...Did Neegan take them out to keep peasants from rioting?
I think so. Daryl spoke about how they easily took apart Neegan's men and left them in pieces, but we saw what actually happened. They were capable soldiers who will be missed and someone will have tried to find out what happened to them. They aren't going to take out Neegan in a fair shoot-out. If they have any chance then they need a good plan involving a trap. Or else, superior weapons. How many rocket launchers do they have?

I like that the story is moving on. It seemed to get stuck in Alexandria for a long time. However, Jesus/Maggie mentioned there might be other settlements but then no one asked that question when they had the ability to get it answered.

...he prefers Gregory holding the reins. Is that because Jesus wants to remain independent and free?.
I think he likes being on his own, but I still don't trust him (and Rick and daryl don't either.) Even though he has opened up more than anyone, there is more that is being kept secret. And the brother of Craig the captive (sorry didn't catch the name) who has been working for Neegan. I wouldn't trust him enought to take him back to Alexandria (at least not without a blindfold.)

I was happy to see the show is moving along at a good pace. The first half of the season taking place over a couple days really slowed things down.

I think this was a good transition episode, and it really sets us up for the rest of the season.

How many times have we seen Rick standing there with blood all over his face, swaying while holding a knife or gun! That guy is straight crazy :confused:

Good set up episode, can't wait for next week's

Like Maggie getting to do something a bit more, was worried she'd be permanently benched and be reduced to 'wandering around talking to people'

Excellent lines this week too 'good gracious indignatious' and daryl's 'we want food, medicine and that cow'

Enjoyed Denise's back and forth with Daryl at the start, especially her promise of him picking up rabies

How can they survive in the world that's so freaking violent?

They had very high walls? Alexandria was fairly low on fighters when Rick and co. Turned up, so maybe this might be a common trend in the other communities in the area.

Or perhaps Neegan's lot do more than just extortion. If there are so many of them, they must take out a lot of walkers while patrolling

Trust is such an enormous obstacle every time these different groups meet. Half of me is mentally screaming "DON'T TRUST THEM!" The other half is saying, "you've got to trust someone, sometime -- maybe this time..."

Who can blame Rick for being suspicious, even paranoid, after the disasters of Woodbury and Terminus? Even Alexandria hasn't exactly been a picnic.

In the case of Hilltop, one death, a couple of near-deaths and a critical injury are better than average for a first contact. Becoming mercenaries to take out Negan and his crew is undoubtedly easier said than done.

They aren't going to take out Neegan in a fair shoot-out. If they have any chance then they need a good plan involving a trap. Or else, superior weapons. How many rocket launchers do they have?

They don't have anything. Thing is, Rick bought a pig in the bag without giving it a look. It's easy to say "we can take them out," when in reality it's not going be such easy task. There's very little we know about Neegan, and his capabilities. Or even size of his posse. And to be honest, Neegan sounds like the Governor.

How many times have we seen Rick standing there with blood all over his face, swaying while holding a knife or gun! That guy is straight crazy

Indeed. Every encounter starts with a body. Where's diplomacy?

we want food, medicine and that cow'

Cow was highlighted item! He knows the need and value of domesticated animal. When was last time they had proper milk to go with their coffee?

Trust is such an enormous obstacle every time these different groups meet. Half of me is mentally screaming "DON'T TRUST THEM!" The other half is saying, "you've got to trust someone, sometime -- maybe this time..."

I didn't like Gregory for one bit. Calling Maggie Natalie was so offending. Don't know why he wasn't told off more than once.

And on the flip side, what about the residents at Hilltop, what would they be thinking when they saw Jesus turn up with a bunch of heavily armed strangers? If it had been reversed and Rick turned up at the walls of Alexandria with a bunch of strangers with guns I'd be thinking 'right these guys have got to die'
Says a lot about the respect and trust Hilltop have in Jesus. I wonder why someone like that would leave Gregory in charge, when he's the guy sorting everything out

And on the flip side, what about the residents at Hilltop, what would they be thinking when they saw Jesus turn up with a bunch of heavily armed strangers? If it had been reversed and Rick turned up at the walls of Alexandria with a bunch of strangers with guns I'd be thinking 'right these guys have got to die'
Says a lot about the respect and trust Hilltop have in Jesus. I wonder why someone like that would leave Gregory in charge, when he's the guy sorting everything out
Yeah, the trust issue is big for both sides in any first meeting, unless one of the two is a heavily armed motorcycle gang holding you up in the middle of the road.
Gregory didn't seem like a guy, given his obnoxious and superior personality, who could successfully undertake recruiting missions like Jesus. I would guess he is "the boss" only because Jesus has no better candidate to run things while he's out and about.
I was surprised that Gregory was attacked so early in the storyline. I was more surprised that he survived, because he is an obvious impediment to the two groups working together.

"What?" Perfect delivery of that line in this episode, Rick's group are genuinely so far gone that this was just another day for them, whilst the other group looked horrified. The look of genuine confusion on Rick's face at that reaction made me laugh. Oh, and Abe with his pancakes. They're really going for some dark comedy in this half of the series, although they seem a little overconfident with regards to Negan, I'm hoping they are at least going back to ASZ to pick up reinforcements and come up with a plan, not just gonna drive straight there...

This was a good set up episode. I think Rick and his group are in for a 'bloody' surprise when they run into Neegan's group. There seemed to be a lot of foreshadowing in the episode where the 'price' of violence gets mentioned.

I agree about Rick's delivery of the line 'What?" Laugh out loud funny.

Actually, thinking about it I'm confused. Why did Neegan want Gregory dead? It sounded like the protection racket was working for Neegan, so why send someone back to kill him? And why did they kidnap the brother in the first place (other than to act as blackmail)? Something I missed? Poor writing? Something else going on?

They're really going for some dark comedy in this half of the series, although they seem a little overconfident with regards to Negan, I'm hoping they are at least going back to ASZ to pick up reinforcements and come up with a plan, not just gonna drive straight there...
Yes, they were just old that Neegan's people have been seen in groups of at least 20. And that they are armed. They seem confident despite the fact they will be outnumbered and could easily all be killed. Likely to have some casualties at least.

Jesus seems to be a good guy, at least with Gregory injured he is surely not in a plan together with him. But he could be a kind of mole /spy in that community from Neegan. Hopefully not for Rick and co.

I was unclear who all the folks who came back in, including the one who attacked Gregory, were. They are all hilltoppers? Why was Gregory attacked? Because his friends/family were killed by Neegan's lot?

Why did Neegan want Gregory dead? It sounded like the protection racket was working for Neegan, so why send someone back to kill him? And why did they kidnap the brother in the first place (other than to act as blackmail)? Something I missed? Poor writing? Something else going on?

You didn't miss anything as it just like it comes out in the comics. The important thing is notice the protection racket, as Maggie uses that same thing against Gregory by asking half. And that's brutal because if you for example ask for half that Rick's people had in the Prison, you'll notice that they would have been in crisis straight away.

Not Hilltop.

"Dale's" RV is loaded to top with all sorts edible things if I understood correctly the amounts they were loading in the van. If that is anything like what they've been giving to Neegan without feeling pain then I can liberally assume Hilltop is big produce on fresh products, plus they have a blacksmith to do other produce.

What's interesting is that they have not really talked about Rick's ammo supply, other than it's looks good. Will it be the same if Neegan turns out to be anything like the Governor?

I was unclear who all the folks who came back in, including the one who attacked Gregory, were. They are all hilltoppers?

Yes, they are all Hilltoppers.

Why was Gregory attacked?

A bad deal with Neegan. You need to listen closely to catch the conversation. I'm hesitant to actually tell, but under the spoiler tag 8 panels from issue 95, same scene.

apMq6N7.jpg

Thinking about it, the Hilltop gate guards threatening the well-armed Alexandria squad with spears was pretty comical. They should have at least been brandishing empty guns, assuming they had some.

Actually, thinking about it I'm confused. Why did Neegan want Gregory dead? It sounded like the protection racket was working for Neegan, so why send someone back to kill him? And why did they kidnap the brother in the first place (other than to act as blackmail)? Something I missed? Poor writing? Something else going on?

Just before stabbing Gregory the guy asked him did he leave the delivery short...whatever that means.

Could be Neegan could tell there wasn't half (or whatever promised) of their produce. Or it could be he just did it to make sure more comes next time..