Title Behemoth
Published by Monkeybrain Comics
Written by Chris Kipiniak
Art by J.K. Woodward
Number of issues 4
Pages per issue 25

DIG076664._SX640_QL80_TTD_.jpg

image from comixology previews

This wasn't the comic I was going to review today, in fact it appeared in a collected volume 1 only today, but at £2.49 for all 4 issues in one (plus a little bonus sketches at the end of the volume) I thought it couldn't be a bad try, and I wasn't disappointed.

Behemoth starts like many a teenage comic with teens going through some rather mysterious physical changes. But what follows isn't your plucky teenage group battling monsters of the week; no this a much darker and more mature angle. Indeed this story takes a brutal turn very quick and as the lead character starts to transform all the more the world around them becomes all the more dangerous. Underlying the events following the lead character we've also got the greater mystery of what is causing these changes as well as a rising level of questioning as the reader starts to wonder what makes a beast or a monster (a theme we have oft seen before in such works, but is a welcome presence here in this story I feel without being overdone - partly because its something the reader can see but isn't overtly spoken of in the story so much).

The art style is also a very curious choice as I feel that the style they've chosen really brings out the darker, gritty edge; whilst at the same time it plays brilliantly into the changing mental and physical state of the lead character we follow, without the style having to change at all.

The result is a very neatly put together story that is well paced and not rushing and yet advances at a good pace. You really do get to feel for the characters going through an almost insane world without feeling like you're having to suspend a lot of logical thinking at the same time.

If you've a fondness for a more dark story; a liking of mysteries and military secrets then this might well be the series for you. As said volume 1 is already out and very affordable and there is news of a new volume late this year (2016).

Back