Asimov book, a long shot!

Giskard66

Hi, another newbie.

I have only read a few of Asimov's works, most notably the Robot series.

I was curious to find out out if a particular book I remember the cover from childhood, not by reading as it was my brother's book for a school task, is something I've already read or not.

I can vaguely remember the cover, an external view of the cockpit end of a small space craft with the pilot inside, seemingly dead with a damaged visor. Obviously this could change from one issue to the next but it is all I can remember apart from possibly the title being on the lines of "xxxxxxxx and xxxxxx", that lead me to "Foundation And Empire" but googling book covers for that came up blank to my memory.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks.

Reading your description made me think of 'Space Ranger', the first of the 'Lucky Starr' series, although it's actually neither a cracked visor nor a space craft. :)

Hmmm.. Thinking outside the box, it's not a Chris Foss cover artwork, is it?

Your description reminds me of this piece:
Foss%2B1.PNG

It's the cover to First Lensman, by E. E. doc Smith. I know Panther & Granada sometimes reused covers though, and I've once found a Smith cover on an Asimov novel...

Thanks for the replies folks.
I can see the thinking on Space Ranger but the cover from First Lensman is definitely looking good. Being such an old memory it's hard to say for sure but it does give me an alternative search.

unfunk, as it turns out you were bang on the money! After sharing the information you gave with said brother, his memory was jogged and was able to confirm the details.
As such, I have definitelt not read it, or the any of the series so I will be searching out some copies :)

Many thanks.

The particularly annoying thing (from the point of view of a little kid being enticed by the cover art) is that Foss artwork never, ever described the content of the book. First Lensman doesn't have any such scenario in it, at all.

The flipside to this though, is that they're usually quite distinctive, and on their own merits, are excellent examples of the medium.