Dynasty: Roots of an Empire (New Beginning 1462 words)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cli-Fi

John J. Falco
Thanks to advice of Chroners on here, I have re-written the beginning and now first chapter of my epic Time Travel saga. I feel that this has been the best start to the book that I have written in the past two years. I hope you all agree. Feel free to critique as much or as little as you want. Since you all liked my original beginning, I decided to keep it and incorporate that into the new crisis.

“We’ve got flying pigs!” One of the analysts pointed to his screen. Alan Cummings breathed a sigh of relief because the seemingly chaotic sightings of flying pigs have been immeasurably helpful in the search for his missing device.

“That’s more good indications of high fluctuations of temporal activity in the area! When is it coming from?” Private Investigator Dorian Black excitedly echoed Alan’s thoughts as they both ran over to the screen to check out the latest readings. “Please tell me you’ve found it?” Alan begged the confused looking analyst, who seemed to be in way over his head. “The AI representative is going to be here any moment.”

The analyst quickly typed at the panels of keys on his desk, and looked even more confused than before. Their newly found optimism quickly turned sour as nothing definitive could be concluded from those erratic readings. “I’m sorry sir, I tried my best! If it was there, it’s not now. Is the date still important?”

Dorian and Alan both looked at each other and shook their heads at the same time. “The computers will keep the record for another thirty seconds. If we need the record, we can always go back and find it.” Dorian said as Alan put an old wrinkly hand on the young man’s shoulder, “That’s OK Tom. It’s not your fault.”

Dorian wondered whose fault it actually was, as he spotted the tall AI in the hallway.

“They’re here,” Dorian whispered and pointed out to Alan that could still run or go somewhere else for a while if he wanted to avoid publicity.

“It’s too late. We’re done,” Alan said in defeat.

“Not if I have anything to say about it.” Dorian was coming to the rescue, but didn’t act like it. He went over to the chair in the far corner of the room and just sat there. Looking like how an uninterested third party should look. Alan did a double-take but then remembered that was Dorian’s style in crisis management. Act like nothing was wrong.

“Are you saying that you’ve lost the Time Machine?” The AI, a Military Acronym short for Artificial Intelligence, barked as it looked down at the distinguished Alan Cummings like he was nothing but garbage. Its voice seemed to echo as if multiple people were saying the same thing at the same time. Alan had explained to the collective voices that they were actively searching for the missing device, but that apparently wasn’t enough for the government.

The tiny old man looked marred and he muttered something to himself as he staggered backwards. “Please speak up, so that the non-enhanced purebreds in the room can understand you.” The AI added in a slightly sarcastic tone, noting that it could detect the slightest hint of indecisiveness.

“I’m not saying we lost it, but it just can’t be found at the moment.” The scientist forcibly replied, but nervous enough to let the machine know it still had the upper hand.

Dorian Black sat crossed legged and raised his eyes from the holographic advertisement he was reading. The ad was entitled The Constant IS The One You Have Been Waiting For. He scoffed at the thought, and made a gesture to throw it away. As the ad vanished from existence, he knew the scene that was unfolding before him required his full undivided attention. He knew he was missing something, but what? Where was the time machine?

Dorian’s eyes darted back and forth as the parties in the room started to pick up the fight by arguing their respective theories about whose fault they thought it was. The idea that the most important tool in human civilization had now been lost somewhere in the space-time continuum, actually humored him more than anything else.

As a private investigator in the matter, he was an independent party, with really no horse in the game. That’s why his casual approach seemed to confuse both Alan and the AI, even though logically it shouldn’t. He suspiciously eyed the machine and wondered what sort of new emotional algorithms the techies were drawing up. While, the intricacies of Algorithmic Law went above his purebred mind, Temporal Law was an altogether different matter for him. That’s why he joined Alan Cummings’ law firm in the first place and he could tell, his expertise was sorely needed.

Then suddenly he had an idea, “Gentlemen it appears we are at an impasse.” Dorian held up his large dark-skinned hands in an attempt to get his friends and colleagues to stop all the bickering, at least so he had time to think. “If it pleases the Congress, I need to know how important the original device actually is, before I can continue with any investigation.”

Alan stared blankly at Dorian, “Are you serious?” Dorian himself was not really sure where he was going with this and only hoped it might calm things down.

“How can you even ask that question? It’s beneath you!” Alan was clearly hurt by this line of questioning but Dorian was only trying to help.

The AI’s shoulder length blond hair bounced upon its broad shoulders. As it shook its head. “It never ceases to amaze us how purebreds can twist everything into a genuine religious experience. It really is quite remarkable and we hope, we never have to go through that ridiculous misguided attachment to a moment in time.” It spoke in a more flamboyant manner this time.

Dorian shook his head, “This isn’t about philosophy. It can be a measurable variable in my investigation as to the whereabouts of the machine itself.”

“By measuring it’s intrinsic value?” The AI gasped, showing off its perfectly molded white teeth.

“It’s priceless!” Alan defended as he smirked at the robot.

Dorian turned to Alan and tried to comfort him, but his approach may have seemed a little cold, “Alan, work with me here.” He pleaded, hoping this stalling tactic was working, “this is part of the reason why I am so good at what I do.” He shook his head, “I could care less about the time machine!”

The AI seemed to agree, “Dorian Black does have the highest ratings on the Implicit Association Test on record.” The machine bowed its head indicating that it would answer the question, “The Time Machine is needed as a universal blueprint, but it’s dangerous and outdated technology is something that the Temporal Congress has to deal with now, before the timeline is left exposed, even more. We can’t take unnecessary risks. Not with Juliet Carpenter acting…” The Machine paused for a moment and Dorian wondered if it was looking for a politically correct way of summarizing the recent scandal involving the young heiress. “Inappropriately.” It finished with one word.

“I disagree!” Alan interrupted, “The very presence of my Time Machine’s existence means that the industry will continue to be educational as well as profitable. Who cares what the Carpenter’s do! They aren’t that important to the timeline. My machine however, is therefore essential to humanity’s growth as a species as well as a functional tool for shaping the very fabric of the universe.”

The AI sighed, “You do realize how many other temporal applications there are out there, right Alan? You are just acting like a baby who doesn’t want to share. It’s time to give it up. Your machine is pretty much meaningless at this point. It needs to be properly achieved and stored away before it causes serious harm to the space-time continuum.” The AI smacked his lips and exasperated, “Oh you should see the things Wilson Technologies are working on. It’s unbelievable.” The machine took Alan’s hands mockingly and went in for the kill, “and really Alan, it’s all thanks to you!” The AI started to head towards the door.

Dorian had the idea in the back of his mind to go up to the machine and unscrew its head. No one insults his friend like that. No one! However, he had to remind himself that he was supposed to act in a professional manner and sucked the desire back into the realm of fantasy. “I’m not finished with my questioning of the Representative from the Temporal Congress.” He demanded the AI to stop at once.

The AI turned back towards the two men, two men who were quite human and in its eyes subservient. It simply replied to Dorian’s demands with its own much calmer demand, “Do not worry,” it stated simply, “We am not leaving. We will be waiting outside until the contract has expired. You have been granted another twenty minutes to find your machine or you will be sued by the Temporal States of America!”

Both Dorian and Alan exhaled easier. For time travelers, twenty minutes was an entirety!

Last edited:
I like the way you are tying the different aspects of time travel into the story, so many time travel stories use tt as just a way to get the protagonist to a variety of settings.

It's a bit confusing but I guess that has either been cleared up in parts we didn't get to see or will see later. It's interesting enough that I, at least, was willing to give it a second reading (and may do a third and more later, I've taken up a new practice in that I may make more than one critique now and others as time passes.)

I really liked the flying pigs

I like the way you are tying the different aspects of time travel into the story, so many time travel stories use tt as just a way to get the protagonist to a variety of settings.

It's a bit confusing but I guess that has either been cleared up in parts we didn't get to see or will see later. It's interesting enough that I, at least, was willing to give it a second reading (and may do a third and more later, I've taken up a new practice in that I may make more than one critique now and others as time passes.)

I really liked the flying pigs

I'm glad you liked it and that was one of the reasons for my inspiration of this story. I was sick of people using the time travel element strictly and solely for that purpose. If there is the topic of Time Travel it seems to me that it is always an archaic device that has just been invented. To me that means time travel is usually a concept just being realized by society. I took this a lot further than that.

I thought to myself what a society of time travelers would act like. What would their concerns be, how politics and business would be affected by wide use of time travel applications, and what technology would be necessary in order to make it seem more feasible and/or futuristic. The result is this book. Which will most likely become a trilogy when I'm all said and done. I also don't think it's really ever been done before...

Thanks for reading it twice. Please let me know which parts confused you, and I'll let you know if your questions will be answered later. I have a whole outline for the book done and a bunch of world-building and mythology I want to include. Everyone like the flying pigs part from my last couple of openings so I just attached that to the new crisis. That being the missing time machine.

New at this and didn't really know what to say. It's pretty long, but I liked the quirkiness. Your use of AI is a little tough to figure out...I expected a robot, but it sounds like it's a real person. Is it a human or not? If not, why call it AI?

New at this and didn't really know what to say. It's pretty long, but I liked the quirkiness. Your use of AI is a little tough to figure out...I expected a robot, but it sounds like it's a real person. Is it a human or not? If not, why call it AI?

In my world there are three classes of sentient beings:

1. The purebred humans = no enhancements. That's people like Dorian and Alan but they are rarer.
2. The not yet introduced bionic humans = Androids. They are essentially humans with either genetic or cybernetic enhancements.
3. AIs = supercomputers built to look human, and therefore they are built to be genetically perfect and beautiful. That's what I was trying to show, AIs act as more of a collective of different highly intelligent computer consciousnesses and there are only a few of them. The AI Congress being one.

Okay-while this is interesting and another reason for the reader to want to read on- I've noticed there are a number of times you've rewritten this and that's enough for me to ask how the rest of the story is doing. If you haven't written it yet I think you should and let this sit for when you finish. If you are finished then this is an excellent time to find the best way to start things.

Having said that- there are a number of things that have jumped out at me and one of them is that the POV is wierd-at least to me. It seems to be Omni much of the way through but keeps moving subjectively close to Alan sometimes Dorian others and even into the thoughts of the AI in yet others. I think that if Dorian is the focus player in the book this would work best from his POV and would benefit in that it would help give the reader a notion of some of his basic intelligence on the subject matter. As it is right now you have this Omni-narrator who seems to be trying to fit all the essential knowledge about the scene and time travel into the narrative while at the same time occasionally trying to get close to the thoughts of the characters.

“We’ve got flying pigs!” One of the analysts pointed to his screen. Alan Cummings breathed a sigh of relief because the seemingly chaotic sightings of flying pigs have been immeasurably helpful in the search for his missing device.

“That’s more good indications of high fluctuations of temporal activity in the area! When is it coming from?” Private Investigator Dorian Black excitedly echoed Alan’s thoughts as they both ran over to the screen to check out the latest readings. “Please tell me you’ve found it?” Alan begged the confused looking analyst, who seemed to be in way over his head. “The AI representative is going to be here any moment.”
:: Private Investigator Dorian Black excitedly echoed Alan’s thoughts as they both ran over to the screen to check out the latest readings. ::
This sentence seems mostly Omni-yet trying a bit of subjectivity from Dorian and then from Alan which gets compounded because I think the first dialogue is Dorian while the next is Alan and since they are in the same sentence it almost reads like a head hop from Dorian to Alan within the same paragraph.

The analyst quickly typed at the panels of keys on his desk, and looked even more confused than before. Their newly found optimism quickly turned sour as nothing definitive could be concluded from those erratic readings. “I’m sorry sir, I tried my best! If it was there, it’s not now. Is the date still important?”

Dorian and Alan both looked at each other and shook their heads at the same time. “The computers will keep the record for another thirty seconds. If we need the record, we can always go back and find it.” Dorian said as Alan put an old wrinkly hand on the young man’s shoulder, “That’s OK Tom. It’s not your fault.”

The same problem exists here because the first dialogue seems to be what Dorian said although the tag has been usurped into the long dialogue tag for what looks like something Alan says.

Dorian wondered whose fault it actually was, as he spotted the tall AI in the hallway.

“They’re here,” Dorian whispered and pointed out to Alan that could still run or go somewhere else for a while if he wanted to avoid publicity.

“It’s too late. We’re done,” Alan said in defeat.

“Not if I have anything to say about it.” Dorian was coming to the rescue, but didn’t act like it. He went over to the chair in the far corner of the room and just sat there. Looking like how an uninterested third party should look. Alan did a double-take but then remembered that was Dorian’s style in crisis management. Act like nothing was wrong.
We seem heavily into Alan's POV at this point

“Are you saying that you’ve lost the Time Machine?” The AI, a Military Acronym short for Artificial Intelligence, barked as it looked down at the distinguished Alan Cummings like he was nothing but garbage. Its voice seemed to echo as if multiple people were saying the same thing at the same time. Alan had explained to the collective voices that they were actively searching for the missing device, but that apparently wasn’t enough for the government.

The tiny old man looked marred and he muttered something to himself as he staggered backwards. “Please speak up, so that the non-enhanced purebreds in the room can understand you.” The AI added in a slightly sarcastic tone, noting that it could detect the slightest hint of indecisiveness.
The last paragraph is really close now to being the AI's POV

“I’m not saying we lost it, but it just can’t be found at the moment.” The scientist forcibly replied, but nervous enough to let the machine know it still had the upper hand.

Dorian Black sat crossed legged and raised his eyes from the holographic advertisement he was reading. The ad was entitled The Constant IS The One You Have Been Waiting For. He scoffed at the thought, and made a gesture to throw it away. As the ad vanished from existence, he knew the scene that was unfolding before him required his full undivided attention. He knew he was missing something, but what? Where was the time machine?

Dorian’s eyes darted back and forth as the parties in the room started to pick up the fight by arguing their respective theories about whose fault they thought it was. The idea that the most important tool in human civilization had now been lost somewhere in the space-time continuum, actually humored him more than anything else.

As a private investigator in the matter, he was an independent party, with really no horse in the game. That’s why his casual approach seemed to confuse both Alan and the AI, even though logically it shouldn’t. He suspiciously eyed the machine and wondered what sort of new emotional algorithms the techies were drawing up. While, the intricacies of Algorithmic Law went above his purebred mind, Temporal Law was an altogether different matter for him. That’s why he joined Alan Cummings’ law firm in the first place and he could tell, his expertise was sorely needed.

Then suddenly he had an idea, “Gentlemen it appears we are at an impasse.” Dorian held up his large dark-skinned hands in an attempt to get his friends and colleagues to stop all the bickering, at least so he had time to think. “If it pleases the Congress, I need to know how important the original device actually is, before I can continue with any investigation.”
These last few paragraphs are from Darian's POV.

Alan stared blankly at Dorian, “Are you serious?” Dorian himself was not really sure where he was going with this and only hoped it might calm things down.

“How can you even ask that question? It’s beneath you!” Alan was clearly hurt by this line of questioning but Dorian was only trying to help.

The AI’s shoulder length blond hair bounced upon its broad shoulders. As it shook its head. “It never ceases to amaze us how purebreds can twist everything into a genuine religious experience. It really is quite remarkable and we hope, we never have to go through that ridiculous misguided attachment to a moment in time.” It spoke in a more flamboyant manner this time.

Dorian shook his head, “This isn’t about philosophy. It can be a measurable variable in my investigation as to the whereabouts of the machine itself.”

“By measuring it’s intrinsic value?” The AI gasped, showing off its perfectly molded white teeth.

Dorian turned to Alan and tried to comfort him, but his approach may have seemed a little cold, “Alan, work with me here.” He pleaded, hoping this stalling tactic was working, “this is part of the reason why I am so good at what I do.” He shook his head, “I could care less about the time machine!”

The AI seemed to agree, “Dorian Black does have the highest ratings on the Implicit Association Test on record.” The machine bowed its head indicating that it would answer the question, “The Time Machine is needed as a universal blueprint, but it’s dangerous and outdated technology is something that the Temporal Congress has to deal with now, before the timeline is left exposed, even more. We can’t take unnecessary risks. Not with Juliet Carpenter acting…” The Machine paused for a moment and Dorian wondered if it was looking for a politically correct way of summarizing the recent scandal involving the young heiress. “Inappropriately.” It finished with one word.
Once again these last two paragraphs draw really close to Dorian's POV.

“I disagree!” Alan interrupted, “The very presence of my Time Machine’s existence means that the industry will continue to be educational as well as profitable. Who cares what the Carpenter’s do! They aren’t that important to the timeline. My machine however, is therefore essential to humanity’s growth as a species as well as a functional tool for shaping the very fabric of the universe.”

The AI sighed, “You do realize how many other temporal applications there are out there, right Alan? You are just acting like a baby who doesn’t want to share. It’s time to give it up. Your machine is pretty much meaningless at this point. It needs to be properly achieved and stored away before it causes serious harm to the space-time continuum.” The AI smacked his lips and exasperated, “Oh you should see the things Wilson Technologies are working on. It’s unbelievable.” The machine took Alan’s hands mockingly and went in for the kill, “and really Alan, it’s all thanks to you!” The AI started to head towards the door.
Above the sentence:: The AI smacked his lips and exasperated,::
is used as a dialogue tag which I have a hard time with as it is but the whole thought even as a dialogue tag makes no sense to me.

Dorian had the idea in the back of his mind to go up to the machine and unscrew its head. No one insults his friend like that. No one! However, he had to remind himself that he was supposed to act in a professional manner and sucked the desire back into the realm of fantasy. “I’m not finished with my questioning of the Representative from the Temporal Congress.” He demanded the AI to stop at once.

The AI turned back towards the two men, two men who were quite human and in its eyes subservient. It simply replied to Dorian’s demands with its own much calmer demand, “Do not worry,” it stated simply, “We am not leaving. We will be waiting outside until the contract has expired. You have been granted another twenty minutes to find your machine or you will be sued by the Temporal States of America!”

Both Dorian and Alan exhaled easier. For time travelers, twenty minutes was an entirety!
The last word entirety--do you man eternity?

Just some food for thought.

I really think this begs to be from Dorian's POV.

This could still work as Omni; but with the subjective elements it needs to be controlled and might be best even as omni- to limit the subjective to one character so that it doesn't smack of head-hoping and then try to separate the dialogue from two separate speakers into their own paragraphs and sort out the dialogue tags.

Last edited:
Okay-while this is interesting and another reason for the reader to want to read on- I've noticed there are a number of times you've rewritten this and that's enough for me to ask how the rest of the story is doing. If you haven't written it yet I think you should and let this sit for when you finish. If you are finished then this is an excellent time to find the best way to start things.

Having said that- there are a number of things that have jumped out at me and one of them is that the POV is wierd-at least to me. It seems to be Omni much of the way through but keeps moving subjectively close to Alan sometimes Dorian others and even into the thoughts of the AI in yet others. I think that if Dorian is the focus player in the book this would work best from his POV and would benefit in that it would help give the reader a notion of some of his basic intelligence on the subject matter. As it is right now you have this Omni-narrator who seems to be trying to fit all the essential knowledge about the scene and time travel into the narrative while at the same time occasionally trying to get close to the thoughts of the characters.

:: Private Investigator Dorian Black excitedly echoed Alan’s thoughts as they both ran over to the screen to check out the latest readings. ::
This sentence seems mostly Omni-yet trying a bit of subjectivity from Dorian and then from Alan which gets compounded because I think the first dialogue is Dorian while the next is Alan and since they are in the same sentence it almost reads like a head hop from Dorian to Alan within the same paragraph.

The same problem exists here because the first dialogue seems to be what Dorian said although the tag has been usurped into the long dialogue tag for what looks like something Alan says.

We seem heavily into Alan's POV at this point

The last paragraph is really close now to being the AI's POV

These last few paragraphs are from Darian's POV.

Once again these last two paragraphs draw really close to Dorian's POV.

Above the sentence:: The AI smacked his lips and exasperated,::
is used as a dialogue tag which I have a hard time with as it is but the whole thought even as a dialogue tag makes no sense to me.

The last word entirety--do you man eternity?

Just some food for thought.

I really think this begs to be from Dorian's POV.

The rest of the story is not yet completely written. I'm about halfway done chapter two and I have written bits and pieces of other chapters. The beginning was what I was having the most trouble with so that's why I spent the most amount of time on it.

Thank you for that insight about the POVs. Yes, it is Dorian's POV. So I will work on how to make it seem more like Dorian's POV when it doesn't seem like Dorian's POV when I go back and edit it.

Here it goes:

Alan Cummings breathed a sigh of relief because the seemingly chaotic sightings of flying pigs have been immeasurably helpful in the search for his missing device.
"Had".
Please tell me you’ve found it?
It's not a question, but a request/polite demand.
“The computers will keep the record for another thirty seconds. If we need the record, we can always go back and find it.”
If they only hold it for 30 seconds, how can they go back to get it whenever they want? Or does he mean go back in time?
pointed out to Alan that could still run or go somewhere else
"that HE could"
crisis management. Act like nothing was wrong.
A colon would make more sense for me here.
The AI, a Military Acronym short for Artificial Intelligence,
I don't think an explanation of the acronym is needed. The term is ubiquitous in this day and age.
The AI added in a slightly sarcastic tone, noting that it could detect the slightest hint of indecisiveness.
Noted that it detected something=noted that it noted something. Redundancy. Also, hints are usually slight anyway. Try "(...) sarcastic tone, detecting hints of indecisiveness."
“I’m not saying we lost it, but it just can’t be found at the moment.” The scientist forcibly replied(...)
Try "I'm not saying we lost it. We just can't find it at the moment," the scientist forcibly replied (...). Reads tighter.
"The scientist forcibly replied"="the scientist replied"> it's pretty much the tag of the dialogue, so it shouldn't be in a different sentence.
with really no horse in the game
Race.
That’s why his casual approach seemed to confuse both Alan and the AI, even though logically it shouldn’t.
He hasn't done anything to warrant this whole sentence. It's a non sequitur of sorts. He didn't approach the subject at all, and the AI certainly didn't see him in any sort of action. I would scrap this sentence entirely and use it once the reader has actually seen casual behaviour from him. Sitting in a corner of the room is not casual, it is ignoring the problem altogether. There is a difference between casual and indifferent, and the reader has seen him nervous in the previous scenes with the computer guy, so he doesn't seem either casual or indifferent anyway. He seems very invested in the matter.
While, the intricacies of Algorithmic Law went above his purebred mind
Discard the comma.
That’s why he joined Alan Cummings’ law firm in the first place and he could tell, his expertise was sorely needed
"That's why" makes no sense taking into account the previous sentence. This is what you have: "Dorian is an ace with Temporal Law--that's why he chose to work in this law firm.">non sequitur. For it to make sense it should be: That's why Cummings had hired him. Also, I would discard "and" and make this into 2 sentences.
Then suddenly he had an idea,
Try: "He suddenly had an idea". Much tighter this way. If you want to keep it as is, you'll have to add a comma after suddenly IMO.
“Gentlemen it
Comma needed.
Alan was clearly hurt by this line of questioning but Dorian was only trying to help.
Scrap "but". Try: "even if Dorian was only trying to help."
The AI’s shoulder length blond hair
Shoulder-length, IMO.
As it shook its head.
Incomplete sentence. Fuse with previous sentence or scrap it.
and we hope, we never have to go through that
No comma needed.
Why did he smirk at the robot? Given the situation, it makes no sense.
The Time Machine is needed as a universal blueprint, but it’s dangerous and outdated technology is something that the Temporal Congress has to deal with now, before the timeline is left exposed, even more.
"Its". I would scrap that last comma.
He pleaded, hoping this stalling tactic was working, “this is part of the reason why I am so good at what I do.”
Taking into account the previous sentence, does his pleading relate to the previous one or the one after? It could be a sort of extended tag for the previous sentence, but it's very confusing that way. It also doesn't work as a tag for the sentence after it because what he says there is not "pleading".
My machine however, is therefore essential to humanity’s growth as a species as well as a functional tool for shaping the very fabric of the universe.”
Scrap "therefore". However+therefore don't work so close together. It's like using two conjunctions in succession (my machine, and, but, is essential to....). Also, place comma before "however".
“The very presence of my Time Machine’s existence means that the industry will continue to be educational as well as profitable.
I didn't understand this. And anyway, without that time machine, they themselves would not exist, right?
The AI smacked his lips and exasperated,
Replace "and" with a comma.
“Oh you should see the things Wilson Technologies are working on
Comma after "oh".
two men who were quite human and in its eyes subservient.
Try: two men who were quite human, and in its eyes, subservient.
It simply replied to Dorian’s demands with its own much calmer demand,
What he says after this is not a demand.
We am not leaving.
Was this on purpose? If it was, why hasn't the reader been shown this aspect of shared consciousness amongst AIs until now? It should've been present in the dialogue since the beginning. Why now?
twenty minutes was an entirety!
?

Also, I will say that the AI's sudden change of attitude was jarring. It was barking and upset, then it is graceful and gives them more time. This cannot be justified by the interruption by Dorian, which I found to be unjustified itself, since he doesn't really "buy" time in any way (the AI gives them more time but it seems to be unrelated, and not a consequence of Dorian's weak interference. If this isn't the case, it is confusing at the very least). Dorian's input in this piece needs more work, IMO.
----------------------------------
Overall, I like the direction this is taking. It indeed is a major improvement over your previous entries. There is action and a sense of urgency and importance to the matter. The inclusion of antagonist VIPs straight away really lights a fire under the narrative. The pace was good and the story seems to be going somewhere from the very beginning. Both the first and last sentences are solid as well, so you got the hooks in place just fine. Most of the tense issues you had in previous entries have been solved, so kudos for that. There are still structural/punctuation issues, but they're not deal-breakers. I like the story (although I'll confess I don't care for the protagonist XD). Keep on it!!

Here it goes:

Was this on purpose? If it was, why hasn't the reader been shown this aspect of shared consciousness amongst AIs until now? It should've been present in the dialogue since the beginning. Why now?

Also, I will say that the AI's sudden change of attitude was jarring. It was barking and upset, then it is graceful and gives them more time. This cannot be justified by the interruption by Dorian, which I found to be unjustified itself, since he doesn't really "buy" time in any way (the AI gives them more time but it seems to be unrelated, and not a consequence of Dorian's weak interference. If this isn't the case, it is confusing at the very least). Dorian's input in this piece needs more work, IMO.
----------------------------------
Overall, I like the direction this is taking. It indeed is a major improvement over your previous entries. There is action and a sense of urgency and importance to the matter. The inclusion of antagonist VIPs straight away really lights a fire under the narrative. The pace was good and the story seems to be going somewhere from the very beginning. Both the first and last sentences are solid as well, so you got the hooks in place just fine. Most of the tense issues you had in previous entries have been solved, so kudos for that. There are still structural/punctuation issues, but they're not deal-breakers. I like the story (although I'll confess I don't care for the protagonist XD). Keep on it!!

Thank you for critiquing it as much as you did, I'm glad you saw improvements in it and that it is better as I thought it was. The last two were indeed grammar/spelling mistakes at the end, which you pointed out. However, now that I think about it. I could re-write the AI speech to make it match the "we am". I feel your concerns about the supposed Protagonist, it wasn't until recently that I decided he would be. So this is the first time I am writing this using his POV (although I'm aware of some issues what I have written has with that). I'm going to try to make him stand-out more/appear more indifferent in edits and in future chapters. I have big plans for him too! He isn't simply a deer-in-headlights narrator. Although, it may seem like that at first.

I'm going to address the changes that you suggested as I think that may clear up some POV issues as well. Thanks again for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.