Audio Books.

Gary Compton

I miss you, wor kid.
So was wondering for those of you who listen to audio books. What do you prefer - male or female narrators?

A man who speaks Norn Irish
There are quite diverse flavours. My brother sounds almost Canadian. (They sound like that in parts of Rural Co.Antrim). Some sound like Paisley did.
Others are more BBC-ish. You can get Radio Ulster and BBC N.I. on satellite to see what I mean.

Some sound like Glasgow and others like Western Isles.

I've been listening to books during my morning walks (90+ min.) so I've "read" quite a number of audio books in the past year. Several dozen at least. I can say that in every case that I can think of, the reader was of the same gender as the MC (main character, it took me some years to figure that acronym out.) except for a case or two when there were two MC's one male and one female where there were two readers. Mostly with two MC's there is only one reader. But for those books that I've listened to, the readers mostly try to change their voice for the different characters who sometimes share the lead.

My preference is a really good reader, who can share emotional energy with the story. It doesn't matter if they are male or female. (If I had to pick, I would pick a male voice for a thriller, and a female voice for a humorous story. Perhaps the best job of narration that I've heard was the female who narrated "Twenty-eight and a Half Reasons." It was a humorous/thriller, if that's even a category, written from the point of view of a naive working class southern girl. The narrator had me laughing out loud while I was walking on several occasions. Her southern drawl was exquisite and her ability to pull off sanitized expletives like "mother's biscuits" was spot on!)

I think whatever the MC is, or the majority of MCs are. I have many many audiobooks as they are a crutch for sleeping that I keep trying to shift on advise of psychs and therapists, but to be honest my OH doesn't mind listening to it quietly as I go to sleep and I set the hifi to turn off after 10-2 minutes ;) It works for me and sleeping is more important at the minute!

I find relaxing deep voices better than the crazy emphatic ones, but I do love those for daytime or car listening. There is only one of the Dahl audiobooks I dislike the reader, and a couple of series I sold on because I didn't liek the reader but I'm pretty non fussed. Any reader that does obvious voices goes in the daytime/car pile (like Tony Robinson rwading pratchett), but most of the time they are all suitable. Attenborough, Fry, and the guy who reads the unabridged Hobbit and TLOTR are fabulous, as is one of the Dahl women. I don't have a preference really, but they need to have a non squeaky/whiny/high pitched voice, otherwise I find it detracts from the story. A reader who is emphatic and engaged in the story is 100% necessary.

Also short bits on CD, the ones that are 3 minute or less before the next "track" are the best IMO as it is so much easier to find your place if you lose it. :)

The only audio book I ever listened to was "Pirate Latitudes" by Michael Crichton. The narrator was male and did a good job with different characters' voices. The only hard part to listen to was when he spoke a female character's part. Had to get used to that. I believe the main character should dictate who would be the best narrator.

When I listened to the book, I kept it in my car CD player and played it to and from work. Generally, however, I prefer listening to news, weather & traffic updates and music during my long drives.

I may eventually try more audio books, but I'm the type who enjoys the printed word. I can also reread parts that I particularly enjoy.

Oddly cassettes work very well.
You can change the "book" and it "remembers" exactly where you were. None of my CD or MP3 players do that :(
I use Amazon's Audible Kindle to listen and does exactly that. You can have all kinds of books going at the same time and it remembers where you are in every book. I have not discovered any limit to it. I play the books through my blue tooth head phones and my smart phone so it's always available. Right now I'm listening to "Angles of Attack" by Marko Kloos, book 3 of the Frontlines series. I get most of my listening books through Amazon Unlimited which has a number of books that not only can you read for "free" but also can listen to for "free" or perhaps $1.99-$3.99. With the number of books I read and listen to it is a great deal. Since I can have up to 10 books out a time my wife has started getting her Amish Romances the same way. The only down side is that on my recommended books I now have quite a number of Amish Romances. :unsure:

I use Amazon's Audible Kindle to listen and does exactly that
I have nothing sensibly portable that can run such things other than my Android Phone. I had to remove Kindle Reader as I have ZERO data allowance and it insists on trying to connect to internet. I only use apps on my phone that don't ask for extra crazy permissions and never need internet. There probably are MP3 players for Android that don't connect to internet and sensibly work like cassette tapes.

my wife has started getting her Amish Romances

I'm boggled. What do the Amish think of it?

Amish romances are quite "hot" right now. I have not heard any Amish response. I did hear someone suggest that Amish romances are big right now because that is one modern society where there arbitrary boundaries keeping lovers apart. --- Haven't read any, don't really know.

I did hear someone suggest that Amish romances are big right now because that is one modern society where there arbitrary boundaries keeping lovers apart.

Which, I am guessing, would provide conflict within the story and something for the lovers to fight against, without bickering and misunderstanding and fighting against each other.

Teresa, I asked my wife and she says that is true, and also that the storied have a lot of tragedy in them showing the way that the Amish accept tragedy and go on with life believing that everything is working out God's will for them.

...she says that is true, and also that the stories have a lot of tragedy in them showing the way that the Amish accept tragedy ...

I bet they are real tear-jerkers, too. I adore love stories that make me cry, and even though I am aware when the author is manipulating me, it works every time. An audio book with a great narrator would probably leave me emotionally wrecked.