November 2015: What Are You Reading?

Three Kingdoms (probably December's answer too) although I'm around page 1,400 or so, which leaves 800, give or take :p

I've also started The Time Traveller's Guide to Elizabethan England. Couple of chapters in now. More modern than most of my historical stuff, but enjoying it so far.

Just realised I should have put this here!

Adrian Tchaikovsky's Shadows of the Apt, part one: Empire in Black and Gold

Wasn't so sure about this when I first started it, thought I'd picked up young adult fiction by mistake, but it's growing on me and seems to have moved onto more adult themes

I read The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson on the weekend. It was a quick read but quite enjoyable. Probably not up to today's standards of horror, but I really liked the vibe it gave off and the slowly declining mental state of Eleanor. Really good mood. I liked it.

I have moved on to The Heir of the North by Steven Poore aka Chopper. 5% in and liking the feel of it so far. Feels like classic fantasy to me, which is my favorite.

Currently 280 pages into Caesar, the fifth book in Colleen McCullough's 'Masters of Rome' series. Taking my time over this one, savouring every word.

Currently 280 pages into Caesar, the fifth book in Colleen McCullough's 'Masters of Rome' series. Taking my time over this one, savouring every word.
i liked the series when i read a couple of books some years ago... now Reading Joshua dalzelle ômega force series

I'm trying Hobb again - Fool's Assassin this time. But the prologue has left me horribly confused as to who is who in the main story and seems an outstanding example of what not to do with a prologue. And now there's loads of description and, frankly, she just may not be the writer for me. :( In which case, I either have a Louis de Bernieres to try, or Jessie Burton's The Minaturist.

You can't read Fool's Assassin with out being invested in the characters from the previous books, IMO. I don't think Hobb is for you unfortunately :(

I am being topical - I think. Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell (rereading as the TV series is on). I am always amazed how dissimilar films and TV are when compared to the books. Both work though, in different ways.

You can't read Fool's Assassin with out being invested in the characters from the previous books, IMO. I don't think Hobb is for you unfortunately :(
But it said it was number one in a series? I checked. I did, I did, I did.

But yeah I am the leanest writer known to mankind, and she seems to like her descriptive prose. It might be a never the twain.

yeah Jo, it is the 7th Fitz book though, with all the same characters and story-line, just years in the future

Jo, there are 3 trilogies in that 'series'.

I haven't started that one, but have read the previous two. Worth giving it a go from the very start [I'd tell you the name, but can't remember it].

Flynn's Eifelheim. Liking it.

Continuing with Scull and Hammond's The Art of The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien. One thing I learned was that the drawing of the Moria Gate, and (apparently) the runic calligraphy of Balin's tomb, were done by an Allen and Unwin artist very closely following Tolkien's designs, but not be Tolkien himself. I've come now to the book's sequence showing Tolkien's various trials of severely-damaged pages of the Book of Mazarbul. He had hoped for a photographic reproduction of Mazarbul material, which would be presented in the book as imagery of the actual surviving fragment(s). this wasn't feasible for economic reasons, although I think there has been some edition in recent years that did include this material. Tolkien must have been inspired by the elaborate facsimile "pot-sherd" that Rider Haggard designed and someone else executed for She.

I think it's Assassin's Apprentice.

Well, how blinking confusing is all that, then? So what's the first one?
Farseer Trilogy
Assassin's Apprentice
Royal Assassin
Assassin's Quest

Tawny Man Trilogy
Fool's Errand
The Golden Fool
Fool's Fate

The Fitz and the Fool Trilogy
Fool's Assassin
Fool's Quest

Just started To Open the Sky by Silverberg, along with Warriors by Martin, Dozois. Let's see if "Warriors" beat "Dangerous Women".

Back