What are your FAVORITE horror novels of the past 2 years?

Motherless Child by Glen Hirshberg
We Are All Completely Fine by Daryl Gregory
Nyctophobia by Christopher Fowler (a bit earlier than your time frame, his Hell Train is good fun)
NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

I'm assuming you mean published within the last two years. Of these, the Hirshberg was my least favorite; it was by no means bad, and I wonder if it was a timing issue, that I just wasn't in the right frame of mind since I normally enjoy his work more.

The Fowler takes some time to develop, but develops powerfully. I think I noted parallels and contrasts with Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House.

Randy M.

For a quick quirky read Darren Shan's Cirque de Freak. Vampire assistant. It's very creepy. The books are short which is a shame. One in the series is weaker than the rest from memory but overall it's a good tale. Not sure of the age group targeted and some may suggest teens. Having said that, I really enjoyed them (not a teen) and found them to be lively paced and as I said...very creepy. Book 1 was made into a film but I don't recommend that.

Horror is not my genre.I did start reading a book by David Simmons,not realising it was a horror story.
I soon discovered that it was.
I would say,if you really like horror,read any book by David Simmons.
His work is extremely scary(imho),remember,I did warn you.............................

I'm really enjoying what Whitley Strieber has been writing recently. His earlier stuff was more "traditionally" horror, with vampires, werewolves etc. But over the past few years he's had kind of a comeback with books like The Grays, 2012: The War For Souls, and The Omega Point. There is definitely an SF element to this newer stuff, but it's still most certainly horror. He has a new series called the Alien Hunter series, which has 2 books released so far. They're great books but maybe a little more sci-fi/ thriller than sci-fi/horror, but check them out. I've been recommending Strieber to everyone.

And he's also written one of the most original horror novels I've read called Catmagic. It deals with books witchcraft and fairy folk, such as elves. I'd love to read more horror like.

I really enjoyed 2012:The War for Souls. I think it's the best he's written, that said I haven't read Catmagic, Omega Point or the Alien Hunter series

Although it is perhaps not true horror despite including Vampires I recommend the Danilov Quintet by Jasper Kent. The first book is called Twelve. It is historical fiction set in Russia and the books spans from the Napoleonic War to the Russian Revolution. The portrayal of some of the Vampire characters is excellent.

I looked back at my recently published horror reads and...didn't find very much, especially when I exclude collections.

"Annihilation" - Jeff Vandermeer. I liked this a lot although it seems from posts I've read by other members here that a lot of people don't like it.

"The Waking That Kills" - Stephen Gregory. I didn't enjoy this one as much as the other books by this author that I've read.

I really enjoyed 2012:The War for Souls. I think it's the best he's written, that said I haven't read Catmagic, Omega Point or the Alien Hunter series

I agree 2012 is one of his best. Along with The Grays. I highly recommend it if you hadn't yet read it. Catmagic is one of his older novels. Its one of his best but not as good as the one's I've mentioned. But in terms of prose, it's his most well written. The prose is much more elegant then what he normally writes.

"Annihilation" - Jeff Vandermeer. I liked this a lot although it seems from posts I've read by other members here that a lot of people don't like it.

I have Annihilation and also Authority and Acceptance waiting on the shelf, they've been there quite some time, but I'm feeling it's time I picked them up. Have you read the second and third parts of the Southern Reach Trilogy Fried Egg?

I have Annihilation and also Authority and Acceptance waiting on the shelf, they've been there quite some time, but I'm feeling it's time I picked them up. Have you read the second and third parts of the Southern Reach Trilogy Fried Egg?
Not yet, but I would like to at some point.

I liked Annihilation a lot, too. Must read the other two soon.

My favourite in the past couple of years is Tim Lebbon's The Silence. It's about a young girl called Ally, who is deaf, and her family fleeing a swarm of creatures (which hunt by sound) unleashed from a deep cave system in Moldova. In many ways it felt like an updating of classic science fiction and horror stories of the past. Think The Day of the Triffids and such - and also modern trends like The Walking Dead - or any other tale that sees a small group of people fighting to survive against insurmountable odds. There are some heart-stopping set-pieces in it, and a sense of dread that I loved.

I started to read Annihilation this weekend and I'm already half way through. Can't wait to find out what's going on in Area X

No spoilers please!

New novel unfortunately winning the title of worst book I've ever read: Acceptance by Jeff Vandermeer.

Simply unreadable.

Horror is not my genre.I can stand a bit of necessary violence,but actual horror haunts me long afterwards.
Consequently,I have only read a handful of Stephen King novels.That is a shame because he is a wonderful writer.

I haven't read that much horror now that I think about it. I'm also not that much into science-fiction actually either. The stuff I really really love his hard to put into one category. Like Phillip K Dick- his stuff isn't so much sci-fi as it is just Surrealist literature. I put China Mieville's more recent stuff into this category too.

I agree about Phillip K Dick's books.They are almost in a category of their own.
I started China Mieville's, Perdido Street Station,but found it difficult to get into.
I may try a different one of his.

High Moor 3 by Graeme Reynolds is a very enjoyable fast paced Werewolf romp that I'm currently half way through. I definitely recommend this trilogy

Back