Reviews from not only family members, but some fans not allowed?

About time too.

Although I'll be sad if they cull the funny ones that are just supposed to be messing around, not the slimy ones that tell lies about the books (she snarled, having spent money on total rubbish because I was taken in by fake reviews).

I totally get the family thing. Mine is not into fantasy anyway and I told them if they don't like fantasy then don't get the book just because I wrote it.

But what if your following one of your favorite authors on Facebook or Twitter for example? You decide to write a review for his book. But they won't allow you because you follow them. ???

I'm all for it in principal, but I'm not sure if I'm a fan of some of the details.

As far as family members are concerned, this might help prevent that particular embarrassment of your only review being written by your mom. I mean, nobody wants to ask their mom not to write a review. She's very proud of that book you wrote and wants to help you out. I guess here, Amazon is taking care of that problem for you.

All Social Media is owned by an Alien, Zak Glutenfrei
The aliens are not yet quite sure how it all applies to world domination, but sure it's a useful asset. The strategic advisor also helped the Gnomes with their "stealing underpants" plan. Some intermediate details between "steal underpants"* and "make loads of money" are missing as are details of the world take over plan hidden at Community Postings which oddly sounds like compost.

[* not metal ones, but stolen, metal ones are steel underpants]

As long as they don't actually kill anyone, or imprison them, it's probably ok.

The amazon review system has been sick for a long time. Not everywhere -- I'm happy with most of the reviews I read -- but on things like books, especially self-published books, everyone knows that people get their mums and their friends (and maybe pay some others) to write reviews. It means you can't trust the reviews, and it's so blatant it's ridiculous.

I've started to read a lot of small press or self-pubbed SF in the form of Amazon Ebooks. I do look at reviews to see what people think, and if there are more than 20-30 you can always find a few speaking some real truth. Most of the ones I've been reading have 100+ reviews with fairly positive averages and I have been enjoying them.

Now I just imagine my dad writing a review for my future book and cringe. I would want that expunged from the face of amazon!

I've no doubt their system is broken, but maybe they could fix it by making a higher minimum word count or maybe they should just quit asking customers to do reviews. I have a junk-box full of emails from them begging me to review my books: so they can what?-remove them all.