Editing software

Twistedlemon

The American
I could not find any threads in particular about Grammarly so I created this. I needed an editing software because I stress edit and still miss passive voice and comma splices. I have been using Grammarly and have noticed a dramatic diffrence, the problem is it is a 30 dollar monthly subscription so I am using 7 day money back gurantee. With the intention of squeezing out everything I can before the 7th day. My question is what us the best software to use and is this worth the price for editing my first novel's rough draft?

I can't help with editing softwares, I've never used any of them. But I remember @Tim James made a nice thread in the writing resources sub forum about test driving some of them, might be worth checking that out.

I can't paste a link on my iPad, but it's on the first page :)

That's absolutely not worth it for any software.
Write more and you'll get better at commas.
I used to use MS Word for complete draft but now use free Libre Office. Even the UK gov is trying to switch to it from MS Word etc.
I make a folder when starting a new project and use a free plain text editor with tabs (Notepad++ on Windows, built in on Linux) or plain text on phone/android. A separate file for each bit, places, people, tech, events, plot etc
You want as little as possible till you assemble the files in wordprocessor to edit. I don't worry about spelling or grammar till assembling all the snippits (usually but not always chapters or scenes).

Some people swear by Scrivener, but it's only fully functional on a Mac and does too much.

Really no software will edit for you, you need to learn basics of writing and have a human do final edit & proof read. A lot of grammar checkers are originally designed for Business & Technical writing (people that will pay money and writing is only a little part of the job), so when it comes to fiction they often give bad analysis. Often warnings about passive voice are more applicable to technical / business writing than fiction.

I've never used editing software so can't help you on that front. But I'd question whether it is worth it for a rough draft of a first novel. You've got plenty of drafts ahead before sending it out to agents/publishers if that's what you're planning to do, so if you're going to pay for any line editing, you might as well wait until you've got to the final draft and everything is as good as you can make it.

If you are planning to submit to agents or publishers, then actually things like comma splices aren't going to be deal breakers unless they're occurring in every line! What agents etc are looking for is a good voice, interesting characters and a gripping opening and plot. If they get hung up over a few misplaced commas in the first pages, then that's because they've not been caught up enough in the story to overlook the errors, which means you've got a far bigger problem than punctuation.

One reason you might be missing the splices and passive voice in editing, though, is because you are reading too quickly and jumping the words and punctuation in your rush. One way to overcome that is to read aloud which forces you to go more slowly and look at things carefully. Another way is to read backwards -- literally start with the last sentence and read that. Then the penultimate sentence, then the one before it etc. Your eyes can't jump ahead to the next line, because the next line you need is higher up the page, so your brain stutters and has to concentrate more on the line you're on, which is what you need. Another way is to look at each paragraph as a discrete entity by physically cutting and pasting it to a new document. That will then allow you to concentrate on that paragraph on that otherwise blank page, instead of rushing through it to the next para -- and changing font and font size also helps trick the brain into thinking it's something new, not the same-old, same-old and therefore to be ignored. Once you've edited it there, you take it back to the master file, then cut the next para and take it across and so on. It will be a slow process, but that's the point -- you need to slow down to do the job thoroughly.

All great advice. There are also websites where you can submit bits of text for analysis for free, but there is usually a word limit unless you subscribe. I'm on my phone atm, but when I get to the laptop I'll try to find one and link to it. I think I put a link up on the @Tim James thread mentioned above.

I could not find any threads in particular about Grammarly so I created this. I needed an editing software because I stress edit and still miss passive voice and comma splices. I have been using Grammarly and have noticed a dramatic diffrence, the problem is it is a 30 dollar monthly subscription so I am using 7 day money back gurantee. With the intention of squeezing out everything I can before the 7th day. My question is what us the best software to use and is this worth the price for editing my first novel's rough draft?
I used Grammarly on my first. It was pretty thorough. It concentrates primarily on grammar, and is no content editor. It can be a useful tool. The yearly cost was a little over $100.00. If you like it and work on multiple manuscripts, it could be worth it.

Last edited:
I've never used editing software so can't help you on that front. But I'd question whether it is worth it for a rough draft of a first novel. You've got plenty of drafts ahead before sending it out to agents/publishers if that's what you're planning to do, so if you're going to pay for any line editing, you might as well wait until you've got to the final draft and everything is as good as you can make it.

If you are planning to submit to agents or publishers, then actually things like comma splices aren't going to be deal breakers unless they're occurring in every line! What agents etc are looking for is a good voice, interesting characters and a gripping opening and plot. If they get hung up over a few misplaced commas in the first pages, then that's because they've not been caught up enough in the story to overlook the errors, which means you've got a far bigger problem than punctuation.

One reason you might be missing the splices and passive voice in editing, though, is because you are reading too quickly and jumping the words and punctuation in your rush. One way to overcome that is to read aloud which forces you to go more slowly and look at things carefully. Another way is to read backwards -- literally start with the last sentence and read that. Then the penultimate sentence, then the one before it etc. Your eyes can't jump ahead to the next line, because the next line you need is higher up the page, so your brain stutters and has to concentrate more on the line you're on, which is what you need. Another way is to look at each paragraph as a discrete entity by physically cutting and pasting it to a new document. That will then allow you to concentrate on that paragraph on that otherwise blank page, instead of rushing through it to the next para -- and changing font and font size also helps trick the brain into thinking it's something new, not the same-old, same-old and therefore to be ignored. Once you've edited it there, you take it back to the master file, then cut the next para and take it across and so on. It will be a slow process, but that's the point -- you need to slow down to do the job thoroughly.
I have my wife read my first drafts to me out loud. This a great help. I see things I would not normally notice.

You can set MS Word to check for passive voice. I find that a helpful reminder. It's an option buried in "Options>proofing>settings."