Another open submission window approaching: Angry Robot Books

Who are they? I can't remember ever seeing that imprint anywhere?

They've been around a good while. Well established, a great imprint. Always good covers. They used to do a YA imprint called Strange Chemistry, too. Anyway they publish Anne Lyle amongst lots of others - a browse of their website should show some.

Yes, I've browsed their website. But I've never seen them in the bookshops here. Looks like a very young new company. What sort of volume?

What's at the back of my mind? I can see the value of a big publisher, but is small outfit going to be really better today than a business savey person self publishing? Though of course most authors won't have experience running their own business or marketing. I'm not trying to run them down, just musing out loud, as I've no memory of seeing the name or the authors in any of the local bookshops. Or Tesco :)

80 titles or more now, including trilogies by Emma Newman, Wesley Chu (Campbell award winner this year!), Anne Lyle, Gav Thorpe, Ramez Naam, and yet more besides. Oh, Kameron Hurley too. Certainly not a roster to be sniffed at.

Since Angry Robot's last open call, Lee Harris has left his editor post to go to Tor.com and Angry Robot has been bought by Elon Musk.

Whilst the blurb for the open call is similar to the previous open calls, there might (and I'm only saying might) be some hidden changes.

Emma Newman, Wesley Chu (Campbell award winner this year!), Anne Lyle, Gav Thorpe, Ramez Naam, and yet more besides. Oh, Kameron Hurley
I only heard of Wesley Chu due to the award, don't remember having seen any of those in a bookshop and never read any. Are they very niche?

I'm in town tomorrow, so I'll examine Eason's at least. The larger O'Mahoney is further from where I park. There are three other fairly large bookshops (not counting the dedicated non-Charity S/H ones ...

no, not at all. they're not "big 5", but definitely one of the biggest names in the tier beneath. lots of credibility, even with Lee Harris gone.

Kameron Hurley is in Waterstones and almost certainly Easons (the bigger branches, anyway.)

They're much bigger than you'd ever get self publishing. If in doubt, google Kameron Hurley and check out her blog on average sales figures and the disparity between published and self published. Sure, some people do well. But the fact remains most self published books sell very, very low amounts.

Angry Robot are definitely an outfit to aim for.

Back