New book need help

Tony Iommi

Hi guys new to this forum and would love some advice please. I've written and published my first sci fi novel about large insects rampaging across Britain. Is they're any way I can let people on the forum know about it as in sure like minded people would like it... Any help advice appreciated.. Ta
Tony iommi

Hiya Tony, and welcome to the Chrons!

We discourage promotion from new members so that the Chrons don't get swamped with people only coming here to promote their stories. Hopefully that makes sense! Hang out with us and join in some of the threads (we have lots of writing threads and stuff on promotion), and then I'm sure lots of people will want to hear about your story.

And lots of congratulations for finishing your novel and publishing it!

I guess like me Stephen went and looked for your story -- but the only results I got were about the other guy!

Please don't tell us the title (not yet!) or anything, but a middle initial or something could help distinguish you and make it easier for people to find you, the author, as opposed to him.

Valid points taken but I'm gonna leave it as it is.. I'm proud of my name and there is always a positive side... How many will find my story looking up Iommi and there aren't many books on there :)

I'll chip in with the importance of your name and book being searchable, not just on google but on Amazon, too. When I look up your name, nothing comes up about you (assuming your book is in Amazon) but lots about your cousin. That is a problem, because if people can't find your book, they won't buy it. I think the middle initial was a good idea - lets you keep your unusual surname (and, given I kept mine, I'm pretty much of the belief it can't do any harm) but also let's people find you.

I've just looked and found it relatively easily. I just don't want to change my name if I'm honest. But the points are taken and really welcomed :)

I've just looked and found it relatively easily. I just don't want to change my name if I'm honest. But the points are taken and really welcomed :)

You may already be aware, but Google tailors search results, so if you've been visiting your Amazon page it's more likely to show up in your search. For example, googling your name + book or + author didn't give me any links relating to you or your book in the first 3 pages, but if you search those terms you may turn up on the first page (I did eventually find it by searching Amazon directly).

Stupid Google not only evilly and illegally (in most of Europe, not just EU) tracks us but assumes people more often want it as a bookmark service than search.
Grrr! :(

Greeting Tony.

I got it in two tries on amazon (hint::people try searching amazon and it should only take two tries).

Unfortunately I don't stop there so I have to admit I read the sample. I say unfortunately because I have to agree with the two star review. It seems almost as though you have adopted a style of writing sure to lead to trouble.

What I mean by that is that the prologue demonstrates a -complete disregard for punctuation- an avant garde attempt at punctuation - or a severe need for editing.

The beginning of chapter one would give the appearance perhaps of the last because most of that chapter seems to try to adhere to good punctuation as best it can. Yet as we reach the most exciting part it digresses to a complete lack of period usage once again. Now if you were e.e. cummings I wouldn't flinch, but I detected something that lacked e.e.'s style.

The second chapter returns the reader completely to that seeming disregard once again and is quite disturbing both in reading and the fact that there are two five star reviews. I could swallow those if they had been prudent enough to warn the reader about the punctuation problems. But they do not.

Also there seem to be several forms of elipses used
These above I recognize

And though the above might look like progressions they are scattered a bit differently in the text.

Once again these are style choices you've made and they might hurt this if people heed the warning in the two star review and do as I did and read the sample. I did find the story-line engaging; but a visit to an editor might improve the whole piece.

This is just my opinion and who knows what we might see once everyone else figures out where your work is. I could be missing something.

Always nice to hear you read the sample and in part enjoyed it. The other comments are fully noted and I appreciate the time you have taken to reply. Its really appreciated and as a first time writer the craft needs work :)