Character seems to have it all until attacked

Geoff17b

The lead is linked by an implant to a worldwide net through which he can exercise powers that make him seem a kind of demigod. (This was the first instance, apart from Neuromancer perhaps, that I recall of a "gridlinked" protagonist) I have a vague sense that the main character was at or near the top of a planetary hierarchy, but a society in which nobody lacked for comforts.

At or near the opening he is doing some sort of meditative exercise in which he controls his reaction to pain. But he comes off as young and self-indulgent; for the fun of it he has sex simultaneously (1) over the net and (2) in the flesh, with 2 different lovers -- without telling them what he's doing.

Setting was an earthlike distant planet, implying star travel, but the focus was on happenings on the one planet. At some point he's subjected to a vicious surprise attack and nearly destroyed/controlled, but prevails.

My best guess is that I read this in the 90's. Seems like the idea of an implanted net link implies something about when the book was written, so perhaps 1988 -- 2000?

Appreciate the reply. Wish I could figure this out, but it's nothing so recent. I got it at the library. It has started to haunt me.

Pretty sure I remember this book also. In the book I am thinking of, the character above is a member of the top level of a meritocracy. If I remember correctly, one of the women he is having sex with has recently been elected to the top level and is having trouble adjusting to the different expectations of her new class.

This is the one I was thinking of: Aristoi by Walter Jon Williams

Bingo! Aristoi it is beyond doubt. I'm going to reread it and this time at leisure -- I rushed through it last time.

Many thanks, Yodachan!