Discussion thread -- September 2015 75-word Writing Challenge

Well much to my shock and somewhat to my dismay, I am in. This is supposed to be a week of study leave and I have accomplished little; but I did write a 75 word story. I'm thinking my priorities are more than a little skewed. It's not the story I would have expected myself to write, but for all that I'm pretty happy with it.

Sigh! Here I am back on Chrons postponing more study. So, I guess I'm not quite sure Dusty. But I know what my board would say. (Anyone in this coffee shop that I know? No? Phew!)

I think you were worried about the genre, Parson, but to my eyes you nailed it! :) CC

I'm glad to see NannyBot got an early mention, but while I'm loving the theme I've not settled on an idea yet. I can feel manic electronic eyes watch me carefully, and NannyBot is not a robot to cross, so stay tuned.

some good entries so far

have an idea, partly written out but have a word count question for a kindly mod. any takers? not sure who the best person to ask is..

Maieius – It is said that ignorance is bliss, maybe things are better when you don’t realise what is going on around you, because when you do you begin to question the things around you as consequences have meaning.

Victoria – An alternative look at the term ‘protective custody’ perhaps. A fitting punishment for a failure in a bodyguard’s duty, there is the sense of justice served up, the failure must literally live with the life he has failed.

Robert Mackay – The line between reality and VR blurs so that the latter becomes more real than the former until the physical might seem mundane to those lost in the digital. But there is a lesson, that the lucky few who realise this might just feel a peace otherwise lost.

Travis Woodward – A sinister nightmare that began with the purest of motives. A reflection of the modern world where people do because they can, without thinking about the consequences. Sooner or later those consequences are more than embarrassments, but perhaps a hack too far.

Glen – Perhaps a dubious use of technology that leads the protagonist to a different type of redemption, the type you get for recycling no less. Unfortunately, the proceeds of this noble gesture might not go to the best of purposes.

farntfar – Sometimes it is easy for the naivety of genius to become apparent only after it is too late. Something that is designed for speedy delivery and transportation can easily be twisted into a weapon of mass destruction…

droflet – a touching tale about a father’s addiction and how it can be overcome by love for a child, even if the defeat of the craving comes only after the most tragic of losses.

Remedy – It’s funny how science and success, wealth can blind someone to the fact that what they set out to achieve might not be what they intended. All it takes though is one reminder and things might be able to put right, even at the cost of the ultimate sacrifice.

Parson – Another story that shows the strength the love for a child can bring. Lost in something that seems important can hide the truth, but put on the spot a parent can learn that there are honest ways to succeed in life.

Vaz – When a decision is treated with scepticism and derision, there is always the opening for something else, and not a good something, and you find the hole fallen down is the dark one of revenge.

Oh, a review, and a bloody good one at that. Thanks, Tim. Good to see you back in the saddle.

Hopefully I'll be a little more active again now, things seem to be quieting down a bit (The kids being back at school helps ;))

I've ended up with two stories and can't decide between them. That being said not sure whether the second qualifies as cyberpunk, and it's failed redemption so it'll probably be dropped.

And if anyone is interested, after losing the regular postings, the overview of the Perpetual Man cycle is now complete.

So if anyone wants to know the story behind my old username it can be viewed here: Who or what is the Perpetual Man? Comments, thoughts or general discussion is more than welcome :D

Reactions: Ihe
For goodness sake, Alice, don't encourage him. Brrrrr.

does tudorpunk noir make you cold @Droflet?

Hopefully I'll be a little more active again now, things seem to be quieting down a bit (The kids being back at school helps ;))

I've ended up with two stories and can't decide between them. That being said not sure whether the second qualifies as cyberpunk, and it's failed redemption so it'll probably be dropped.

And if anyone is interested, after losing the regular postings, the overview of the Perpetual Man cycle is now complete.

So if anyone wants to know the story behind my old username it can be viewed here: Who or what is the Perpetual Man? Comments, thoughts or general discussion is more than welcome :D

good to have you back @Tim James. i would say if one story has no redemption and is not really cyberpunk, then i t should be relatively easy to decide between the two... save the other one and adapt it for the "tudorpunk space opera" month

so many options for tudorpunk crossover genres...

does tudorpunk noir make you cold @Droflet?

good to have you back @Tim James. i would say if one story has no redemption and is not really cyberpunk, then i t should be relatively easy to decide between the two... save the other one and adapt it for the "tudorpunk space opera" month

so many options for tudorpunk crossover genres...

Tudorpunk Spaceopera Noir?
I need more caffeine to glom that particular plot bunny.
(Or about three redbulls and vodka)

Back