Help - I've written a draft - what do I do next?

Welcome to you. We can work this whole writing thing out together! Where are you up to in your writing? What genre do you write?

And to you! Lets do it. Although I'm not sure what 'it' would be...

I am in a similar boat. I have a completed manuscript (I love being able to say that) and am going through it atm for a second time. Have recently shared it with a couple of friends in the hope of getting some kind of roaring applause... apologies, my enthusiasm is still foolishly poking its head out above the parapets at this present time.

This one is post apocalyptic sci-fi. Speculating on the future of the human race. I like to write anything fantasy or sci-fi related, or just anything that allows my imagination to seep out.

So with all your new advice are you any closer to figuring out the next step?

Well I've just started book number 2 after some advice from ray on the thread as I have edited once and was just about to start editing again but actually I think a bit of time away would be good. I also need to put it out for critiquing which is scary. Your book sounds interesting. If you need another perspective I am happy to have a look. Not that I am sure how useful my opinion would be!

I must admit I am a little too new to know if that is a done thing...
Is it a good idea to share / swap a sample of work? I suppose I am game if you are.

I am still editing but try and take little brainstorming breaks, where I just try to throw random ideas at paper and see if anything jumps out that is worth pursuing.
How big will your series be?
I spent almost ten years (on and off) trying to write an epic fantasy saga but it just consumed and overwhelmed me as, in theory, it started to look like a minimum 6 book series. So this year I decided I had to abandon it (hopefully temporarily) and start anew. My only pre-requisites were: stick to a single main character, and keep it as a standalone single book. I figured one finished book was worth a lot more than half a dozen floating in my dreamland.

is it a good idea to share / swap a sample of work? I suppose I am game if you are.
Mutual self help. It's a very good idea to give up your time to help others that are giving up their time for you.
It takes time to read stuff. It takes a huge more time to give a detailed critique. I warn people that I'm not good on doing line by line critiques.
The forums here are good.

Hi,

Just to add - because the old noodles not working so well and I forgot to add it - critiques are also good. Not just for having your work critted - which is invaluable - but also doing them yourself. I figure when I do one - and I'm on several fora where I do them - I'm not just helping (I hope) the person whose work I'm critting, I'm also helping myself. The actual act of critiquing another's work makes me think about what I write.

Cheers, Greg.

I must admit I am a little too new to know if that is a done thing...
Is it a good idea to share / swap a sample of work? I suppose I am game if you are.

I am still editing but try and take little brainstorming breaks, where I just try to throw random ideas at paper and see if anything jumps out that is worth pursuing.
How big will your series be?
I spent almost ten years (on and off) trying to write an epic fantasy saga but it just consumed and overwhelmed me as, in theory, it started to look like a minimum 6 book series. So this year I decided I had to abandon it (hopefully temporarily) and start anew. My only pre-requisites were: stick to a single main character, and keep it as a standalone single book. I figured one finished book was worth a lot more than half a dozen floating in my dreamland.

It does seem to be a good thing to do as the guys have said. It would be useful experience as well to read a book critically. To set expectations I think I'll be similar to ray in that I probably wont do a good job at line for line but if you want feedback on characters, story, pace etc I am happy to help!

You can also put short sections up for critiquing on here once you've posted a certain amount (I think it is 30 posts)

I'm planning for mine to be three. It was going to be two but now I think three is optimistic ha. It's amazing how the story just takes on a life of its own once you get to know the characters more! Mine are intertwining stories as well with 3 main mini groups so keeping the size down is tricky. Chapters are short but I hope that means it's a bit of a page turner as lots of content is in there before bringing all the stories together at the end.

but I've just never been a good reader, especially out load.
Note that reading out loud can also be done in private. In fact, I would encourage you to do this as it's a very useful editing tool.

Possibly because (warning: unsubstantiated hypothesis alert) one uses some different parts of the brain when reading "noisily" when compared to doing it silently, one can spot errors when reading out one's one words out aloud that one never seems to notice otherwise. And, in addition:
  1. it lets one notice parts of the text that don't flow as well as they might;
  2. it highlights those bits of text that readers (who, obviously, are not as familiar with the text as the author) might stumble over, because the author stumbles over them when speaking them (but doesn't when merely scanning them with their eyes and thinking that they've read the words as they appear on the page/screen, when their memory may have also been playing a part).