The Unremembered author edition.

anthorn

I see that there aren't a lot of threads on the author of the Unremembered. There's one, which is a review.

When this book first came out there was a lot of commentary on how with a few names replaced here and there that this book essentially was a rehash of Eye of the World by Robert Jordan. This was compounded by the author giving Pat from Pat's Fantasy Hotlist notes on how to perceive his work while reading it.

So basically, despite the hype from Tor, this book sank into the ocean. Well, recently they released the author edition that sought to change perceptions of the book. What do you ask is different between the original and the rewritten version? Nothing. Nothing except the beginning. The author has deleted the first few hundred pages of the book set in the Hollows. the book starts after they've fled the village. Now this wouldn't be a problem if the author actually rewrote the beginning so we had an idea who was who and what the heck was happening. He doesn't. Imagine this. You open Fellowship of the Rings by Tolkien and instead of learning about the Shire or the Hobbits, you start when the Hobbit's are attacked by the Ringwraiths without being told who Frodo, Strider, ect are, and why they're being chased.

So yeah...Basically, in between the original and the NEW definitive edition, someone at Tor lost the first few hundred pages of Peter Orilian's the Unremembered.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? Anyone else disappointed in the waste of money?

Sounds mental. Usually the "Author's edition" or "Director's cut" is longer. What was Tor thinking of?

Is the title then ironic? I'd not buy a book if I thought it was merely a rehash of Eye of the World by Robert Jordan. I might if it was better and tighter. All the books of WOT edited down to 4 or 5 would be a great series.

Ive seen the Unremembered on the shelf , I was tempted to pick it up. It sounded interesting.

Last edited:
Sounds mental. Usually the "Author's edition" or "Director's cut" is longer. What was Tor thinking of?

Is the title then ironic? I'd not buy a book if I thought it was merely a rehash of Eye of the World by Robert Jordan. I might if it was better and tighter. All the books of WOT edited down to 4 or 5 would be a great series.
Nope. Not ironic. It's the definitive author edition. Says so on the cover.

Back