Cormac McCarthy's The Road - Thoughts **Possible Spoilers**

SilentRoamer

Hello everyone,

I just finished reading McCarthys The Road. I found this to be a very fast read and found myself really drawn into the book.

I understand there are literary criticisms of the way McCarthy writes (I will admit there were a couple of sentences that really jarred) but overall I really found the style to be complimentary to the content.

Such a sad and horrifying book - personally, I think the ending could have gone either way and am not so sure about the "family" that "found" him.

Anyone else care to share their thoughts?

EDIT: I tried searching for The Road and also for McCarthy but I just got loads of posts returned for both results. Ray McCarthy was in all the results! :)

Last edited:
heh! :D
And last night my wife said a writer wouldn't be called McCarthy.
There is also a Comic Book Artist and some sort of famous sportsman.

I have listened to The Road audiobook recently. It's curious he never explained what had happened to destroy the world. Or did I miss the clues? Overall the book was okay, not much happening, mostly just monotonous walking and surviving. Sad ending, of course, but some hope for the boy...

A beautiful and brilliant book,I loved the fact that you are allowed to construct your own backstory,brought me to tears,I love McCarthy his writing style some find mannered but it is unique,read Blood Meridian next!

Beautiful one of my all time favourites. Love the fact he doesn't hold your hand as an author and allows the readers imagination to do some work regarding the disaster and back story. Very emotional and powerful novel would recommend to anyone :)

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Jackie Bee - No McCarthy never lets on explicitly what causes the destruction, you only get told of a flash of light and booming noises. It's clear everything on the Earth is either dying or dead and that there seems to be some sort of overhead Ash so its probably a Supervolcano - also that ties in with the fires. The Old Man also mentions how they saw the signs or something to that effect.

I also like that McCarthy left the backstory untold so you could imagine whatever you like - he does similar things with a lot of the events in the book as well. You only never know as much as the father and the boy.

This is definetely one of the novels that just stays with you and you sort of roll it around in your mind - I have been re-reading passages randomly. Definetely going onto my re-read list.

And so it was that I did read this book unto mine eyes, not finishing until the end and yet not before. And I said out loud Cormac McCarthy's pretentious prose is getting to me and the lack of quotation marks drives me nuts and that annoyed me muchly...

I have very mixed thoughts on this one. Basically, I should really dislike it. It's a ramble (well, a wallow) through post-apocalyptic misery, more or less for the sake of it, not adding much in terms of setting that John Wyndham and other SF types hadn't considered years before anyone "literary" had a go. And the style really grates on me. But it does have a certain power, and the relationship between the man and boy (give them names, dammit!) works well. The idea of carrying the possibility of civilisation is very strong. My overall sense is that there's a pretty good, if needlessly grimdark, novel in there under all the pretention.

This is one of my all time favourite books. I read somewhere that the idea came to him when he was on a road trip with his son and the thought struck him of what he would do to keep his son safe in the event of a terrible disaster.

Reactions: Vaz
It is a great book by a one of the world's great literary figures - a prose stylist without current peer, in my reading experience. I think it's only 'pretension' to write as McCarthy does if you can't really pull it off.

Yes, some authors can prose like no others.
Makes me want to read this. Badly.

EDIT: I tried searching for The Road and also for McCarthy but I just got loads of posts returned for both results. Ray McCarthy was in all the results! :)
Ran McCarthy Novelist on Google. Most results are Cormac, Tom comes up on page 1, Mary on page 3.

Most likely the event was from an asteroid impact.

Here part of an article written in Rolling Stone about Cormac.

"ONE DAY A FEW YEARS AGO, after checking his mail and pouring his coffee, McCarthy gingerly made his way down the hall at the Institute. He passed the equation-scrawled windowpane, down the steps where Dr. Zen was curled in the corner, past the long, red sofa where a grad student lay sprawled, and into the corner office of his friend Doug Erwin. Then he started asking about the apocalypse. In particular, he wanted to know about extinction-the Cretaceous-Tertiary meteorite that wiped out the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.

Erwin is the guy to ask. A Smithsonian paleobiologist with a boyish fop of brown hair, Erwin is an expert on the subject: He wrote a book titled Extinction. He and McCarthy share a wry and fatalistic view of our time here on Earth. "The planet is going to do just fine without us," Erwin says. "We're an encephalized ape that won't last long."

Erwin told McCarthy about the likely aftermath of the deadly meteorite: the magnitude of the desolation, the collapse of ecosystems, the fallout of debris and gases. Then, one day last year, Erwin sat down to read a galley of The Road, which depicts the harrowing, post-apocalyptic journey of a father and son. Erwin smiled - so this is what McCarthy was up to, he figured.

He let his friend off the hook for the novel's intentional inaccuracies. "Instead of having gray skies that look like Beijing, it would actually be blue skies, like this," Erwin tells me one afternoon, as he motions outside his window to the hills rolling down toward Santa Fe. "There would also be a lot more ferns. But because of what he was trying to achieve, he had to take some artistic license. That book was about his son."

Nine years ago, after marrying for the third time, McCarthy became a father again. Soon after, in 2001, he was visiting Tennessee when the attacks of 9/

11 unfolded. Being a septuagenarian dad in the modern age is sobering. "When you're young and single, you hang out in bars and don't think about what's going to happen," McCarthy says. "But in the next fifty years when you have kids, you start thinking of their life and the world they have to live in. And that's a sobering thought these days. I'm not one of those conspiracy guys, but the world is in a very unstable situation. If you were to take thoughtful people on, say, January ist, 1900, and tell them what the twentieth century was going to look like, they'd say, Are you ****ting me?' "

McCarthy began to wonder about the future facing his boy. "I think about John all the time and what the world's going to be like," he says. "It's going to be a very troubled place." One night, during a trip to Texas with John, McCarthy imagined such a place. While his son slept, McCarthy gazed out the window of his room and pictured flames on the hill. He later decided to write a novel about it; The Road is dedicated to his son. While McCarthy suggests that the ashcovered world in the novel is the result of a meteor hit, his money is on humans destroying each other before an environmental catastrophe sets in. "We're going to do ourselves in first," he says.

In part, he blames an increasingly violent society. "If kids are unstable, they may very well be cranked up by the violence they see, and might do things that they wouldn't have done or would have taken them longer to get around to," McCarthy says. "But the real culprit is violence against children. A lot of children don't grow up well. They're being starved and sexually molested. We know how to make serial killers. You just take a Type A kid who's fairly bright and just beat the crap out of him day after day. That's how it's done."

Yeah I can see how a meteorite could be the cause. Personally I think the facts fit better with a Supervolcano eruption but I suppose the cause is fairly irrelevant and just provides a backdrop of tragedy for the characters.

Nine years ago, after marrying for the third time...

In part, he blames an increasingly violent society. "If kids are unstable, they may very well be cranked up by the violence they see, and might do things that they wouldn't have done or would have taken them longer to get around to," McCarthy says.

Yeah Cormac, it's all the tv violence making kids unstable. Has nothing to do with the fact that too many adults view marriage/family as a temporary thing that only lasts until one party gets bored and trades in for a newer model. Maybe if half the men in America showed as much devotion to their wives as the father does to his son in the Road, you wouldn't be whining about how grim the world is today? But then, they're just women so who cares? At least the narrator recognized what's important... a firstborn SON.

As you may guess, I'm not a fan of the Road. It had a nice sense of mood, but that was about it. I don't understand at all what's so great about the father-son relationship there. It's the same old John Wayne-macho worship that's been done to death in American culture. His "victory" is his willingness to pretend he knows what's going on when he has no clue... the same old celebration of ignorance masked as confidence.

The prose is nice, but would have been just as good as a short story. At least he reined in the excess of Blood Meridian, a novel I hated with a passion. Granted, I read it right after I read Underworld by Don Delillo (both while I was on vacation, so possibly ill-timed) and that was the end of literary reading for me. After studying it in uni and dabbling through law school, I decided I'm never again going to read a novel by some middle-aged white dude that purports to express deep truths of the human condition, because in almost every instance I can think of (Delillo, McCarthy, Irving, Updike, etc.) their "truth" is that men should be eternally stoic, even when on the inside they're emo teenagers feeling sorry for themselves over being unable to get laid by 18 year old girls anymore or unable to form a nice violent posse to put down "undesirables" because a bunch of liberal pansies said it's not nice anymore.

They refuse to acknowledge that the very things they bemoan were caused by them. The hero is always a violent man who is frustrated to find out there are bigger, badder fish in the sea. He indicts the latter while refusing to consider the possibility that the latter only exists because they were created by the former. And, of course, there are NO women in any of these books, and if there are they are helpless, foolish, whores, or all three. Because in his worldview, the ONLY things of consequence are the actions of a real man.

That said, I'm glad he's famous because my name is super close to his so if anything I write ever gets published I figure to get at least a few sales from people not paying attention when they pull the latest Co McCarthy novel off the shelf.

Have you ever read "A Reader's Manifesto" by B.R. Myers? I think you might find that interesting, since a large chunk of it is aimed exactly at the writers you've just listed.

Interesting article, thanks!

It's curious he never explained what had happened to destroy the world. Or did I miss the clues?

Giving limited information to the reader can be a very effective device if used properly. In real life we seldom have a complete picture of what's going on in the world. Consequently giving the reader limited information allows us to empathise more with the character's point of view as we're seeing events as they see them, rather than having exposition spoon fed to us which would put us in the position of a detached, omnipotent observer. Orwell uses it very effectively in 1984 as we're not made privy to the rise of Big Brother beyond Winston's vague recollections which makes the novel a much more intimate, personal story rather than a dry, aloof political tract.

Have you ever read "A Reader's Manifesto" by B.R. Myers? I think you might find that interesting, since a large chunk of it is aimed exactly at the writers you've just listed.
I read this whole thing at work and I definitely found it interesting and agreeable! I could never put my finger on why these books were such terrible chores to read but that summed it up nicely. Each one reads like a half remembered dream, and I recall spending inordinate amounts of effort trying to decipher what each sentence/paragraph said only to finally parse out that... it was gibberish. Sounded nice, like a good Nirvana lyric, but equally vague and meaningless.