Help with synopsis, please? Deadline looming....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerrybuchanan

Delusions of Grammar
Supporter
This has been on here before, in January, but I am submitting to Hodderscape's Open Submission Window this week, which closes on Sunday, so I don't have much time. I might live to regret it (feel free to tell me so - it's not too late to change my mind!), but I have at least the first 15 k words fairly knocked into shape, so I thought it was worth a shot.

Any and all comments/criticisms will be gratefully received, but please try not to suggest any major changes after Sunday, because all I'll be able to do is cry by then!

Synopsis – The Blacksmith’s Apprentice

One moment, archaeologist, NIAMHÍN CASSIDY is running for her life in a rainy woodland, the next she is in a cave, her injuries being tended to by an old man with secrets in his eyes. His name is IMRYS, and under his guidance Niamhín takes on the role of his nephew, hiding her true identity. She has landed in the fifth century, in Sub-Roman Britain.

Niamhín is determined to find a way back to her own time, where her twin brother, DYLAN, had gone missing under suspicious circumstances. He is a historian, who has a fascination with the Dark Ages. Niamhín discovers that Dylan may have travelled through the cave portal ahead of her, but definitely not to this time. She begins to suspect that Imrys is not as simple as he first appears: he has the gift of foresight. He is also from a future time, having travelled back to the fifth century many years before.

Imrys tells her she has a role to play -- to keep the path of history on track; another time-traveller, the witch, MORAG, wants to change history to her own advantage. She sees Niamhín as a threat, not only to her plans, but also to the royal son her own powers tell her she will bear.

When the witch sends men to kill Niamhín, she flees the cave with Imrys. They are joined on the run by GARETH, the village blacksmith, whose slow smile causes Niamhín to find her life as a boy increasingly irksome. A little later she gets her wish when Imrys tells her to put on a dress again, but it isn't the release she hoped for. It seems Gareth still believes she is a boy, disguised as a young woman - a hard act to maintain.

Whilst fighting to escape one of Morag’s traps, Niamhín begins to discover her own gift. Before she can learn to control it, her wild, untamed power steals the sight of a minstrel. Later she has no memory of killing her enemies, or of bringing the wounded Gareth back from the brink of death. The minstrel, JACK A’WHIST, stays with them in the hope that Niamhín will, in time, be able to heal his blindness.

When AMBROSIUS’ brother, UTHER, arrests Niamhín’s party it appears all is lost. Despite this setback, she succeeds in warning Ambrosius about the witch, but not before Morag has seduced Uther and poisoned his mind. Under her influence, Uther swears he will kill Niamhín. Ambrosius takes the blind minstrel under his wing, but it soon becomes clear to Niamhín that there is more to their relationship than just protection.

An arranged marriage between Ambrosius and Niamhín’s friend, the beautiful YGRAINE, has repercussions that rock the land when Uther and Ygraine fall in love. Guided by a vision, Niamhín knows she has to help Imrys bring Uther and Ygraine together, because their son will grow up to be the king of kings, healing the land and routing the invading Saxons.

Their acts lead to war and bloodshed outside the walls of Tintagel Castle, but they succeed in bringing about the union. Niamhín reassures Ambrosius that the result of this night’s lust will be peace in their troubled land for years to come, even though she questions her own actions. Her fragile understanding with the quiet blacksmith is shattered – he cannot believe any king will be worth all the death and betrayal. She cannot bring herself to tell him that she carries his child.

Gareth is making a sword, trying to create a weapon he dreams of most nights. His efforts never live up to his expectations, so eventually he asks Niamhín, who he had been training as an apprentice, to help him out. Together, combining their magic and rediscovering the love they share, and accompanied by Jack a'Whist's music, they forge a weapon unlike any seen in that age before.

Morag spreads false rumours about who fathered the child Ygraine bears. A distressed Ygraine begs Niamhín and Gareth to take the child and rear him as their own, keeping him safe from Morag and her plans. Since this is just what Niamhín's vision told her to do, she accepts the charge.

Morgan’s poison is not just verbal. Ambrosius dies at her hand, leaving Uther as High King and Ygraine as his queen. Worse still, Niamhín finds out Morag also carries Uther’s child and that her baby will be the first-born. Morag disappears into hiding.

When ARTOS is born, Niamhín and Gareth carry him in secret to the wild north where no one will be able to find him. The trust they had lost slowly rebuilds as Gareth trains Artos in the use of arms and strategy, Imrys teaches him science and history and Niamhín tries to keep up with the reckless boy's mischief.

Between them Imrys, Gareth and Niamhín embed the sword in a boulder, deep in the Wild Forest. They place wards around it, so only the true-born son of Uther and Ygraine, the man who the sword recognises, can draw the sword.

One day, young Artos turns up with Jack a’Whist in tow, having found the blind minstrel living rough in the Wild Forest. Niamhín is shocked to see that Jack has Morag’s young son, MEDRAUT, in his keeping and the two boys have made friends. Is it coincidence, or has the witch outwitted Niamhín at the last? In either case, Niamhín’s careful planning for Artos’ safety has been for nought.

Artos has brought the seeds of his own destruction into their lives, but despite all her arguments, he will not hear of harm coming to a boy he considers under his protection. Niamhín recognises, with regret, that he is no longer a child. From now on, he has to live by his own decisions. Her role in his life is drawing to a close.

The book ends with Artos being left behind when his foster-father, Coel, heads to war with all his men, including Medraut. The boy takes the grey war-stallion he has been given as a consolation gift and gallops off into the Wild Forest, blinded by tears.

This is the end of The Blacksmith's Apprentice. Although it is a stand-alone novel, I have two sequels written in first draft, forming a trilogy.

In the first, A Plain Sword (working title), we follow young Artos through his life, his love-hate relationship with his adopted brother, attempts by Morag to subvert the course of history to his betrayal and apparent death at thirty two years of age.

In the third part of the trilogy, Desert and Dragons (definitely a working title!), we finally catch up with Niamhín's twin brother, Dylan, who has travelled to a future Britain, a war-torn land, invaded and dying. With the help of the twins, Artos helps the survivors rally to defeat the invaders, once again saving Britain, as Imrys's prophesies foretold.

My day for these. Teeth coming - comments in bold

This has been on here before, in January, but I am submitting to Hodderscape's Open Submission Window this week, which closes on Sunday, so I don't have much time. I might live to regret it (feel free to tell me so - it's not too late to change my mind!), but I have at least the first 15 k words fairly knocked into shape, so I thought it was worth a shot.

Any and all comments/criticisms will be gratefully received, but please try not to suggest any major changes after Sunday, because all I'll be able to do is cry by then!

Synopsis – The Blacksmith’s Apprentice

One moment, archaeologist, drOp that comma NIAMHÍN CASSIDY is running for her life in a rainy woodland, the next she is in a cave, her injuries being tended to by an old man with secrets in his eyes. His name is IMRYS, and under his guidance Niamhín takes on the role of his nephew, hiding her true identity. She has landed in the fifth century, in Sub-Roman Britain.nice - but I do worry your beginning doesn't actually start there....

Niamhín is determined to find a way back to her own time, where her twin brother, DYLAN, had gone missing under suspicious circumstances. He is a historian, who has a fascination with the Dark Ages. Niamhín discovers that Dylan may have travelled through the cave portal ahead of her, but definitely not to this time. She begins to suspect that Imrys is not as simple as he first appears: he has the gift of foresight. He is also from a future time, having travelled back to the fifth century many years before.

Imrys tells her she has a role to play -- to keep the path of history on track; another time-traveller, the witch, MORAG, wants to change history to her own advantage. She sees Niamhín as a threat, not only to her plans, but also to the royal son her own powers tell her she will bear.

When the witch sends men to kill Niamhín, she flees the cave with Imrys. They are joined on the run by GARETH, the village blacksmith, whose slow smile causes Niamhín to find her life as a boy increasingly irksome. Nice way to describe it. A little later she gets her wish when Imrys tells her to put on a dress again, but it isn't the release she hoped for. It seems Gareth still believes she is a boy, disguised as a young woman - a hard act to maintain.

Whilst fighting to escape one of Morag’s traps, Niamhín begins to discover her own gift. Which is? Before she can learn to control it, her wild, untamed power steals the sight of a minstrel. Later she has no memory of killing her enemies, or of bringing the wounded Gareth back from the brink of death. The minstrel, JACK A’WHIST, stays with them in the hope that Niamhín will, in time, be able to heal his blindness.

When AMBROSIUS’ who is he, then? Personally I'm finding too many names and wonder do you need them all? brother, UTHER, arrests Niamhín’s party it appears all is lost. Despite this setback, she succeeds in warning Ambrosius about the witch, but not before Morag has seduced Uther and poisoned his mind. Under her influence, Uther swears he will kill Niamhín. Ambrosius takes the blind minstrel under his wing, but it soon becomes clear to Niamhín that there is more to their relationship than just protection.

An arranged marriage between Ambrosius and Niamhín’s friend, the beautiful YGRAINE, has repercussions that rock the land when Uther and Ygraine fall in love. Guided by a vision, Niamhín knows she has to help Imrys bring Uther and Ygraine together, because their son will grow up to be the king of kings, healing the land and routing the invading Saxons.

Their acts lead to war and bloodshed outside the walls of Tintagel Castle, but they succeed in bringing about the union. Niamhín reassures Ambrosius that the result of this night’s lust will be peace in their troubled land for years to come, even though she questions her own actions. Her fragile understanding with the quiet blacksmith is shattered – he cannot believe any king will be worth all the death and betrayal. She cannot bring herself to tell him that she carries his child.

Gareth is making a sword, trying to create a weapon he dreams of most nights. My big worry is this all seems a little disjointed. Why is Gareth making a sword? Where is the relvance to the rest of the stoy? Has he only started to make it now? His efforts never live up to his expectations, so eventually he asks Niamhín, who he had been training as an apprentice, to help him out. Together, combining their magic and rediscovering the love they share, and accompanied by Jack a'Whist's music, they forge a weapon unlike any seen in that age before.

Morag spreads false rumours about who fathered the child Ygraine bears. A distressed Ygraine begs Niamhín and Gareth to take the child and rear him as their own, keeping him safe from Morag and her plans. Since this is just what Niamhín's vision told her to do, she accepts the charge.

Morgan’s poison is not just verbal. Ambrosius dies at her hand, leaving Uther as High King and Ygraine as his queen. Worse still, Niamhín finds out Morag also carries Uther’s child and that her baby will be the first-born. Morag disappears into hiding.

When ARTOS is born, Niamhín and Gareth carry him in secret to the wild north where no one will be able to find him. The trust they had lost slowly rebuilds as Gareth trains Artos in the use of arms and strategy, Imrys teaches him science and history and Niamhín tries to keep up with the reckless boy's mischief.

Between them Imrys, Gareth and Niamhín embed the sword in a boulder, deep in the Wild Forest. They place wards around it, so only the true-born son of Uther and Ygraine, the man who the sword recognises, can draw the sword. Eh? They know who the king is. Why do this?

One day, young Artos turns up with Jack a’Whist in tow, having found the blind minstrel living rough in the Wild Forest. Niamhín is shocked to see that Jack has Morag’s young son, MEDRAUT, in his keeping and the two boys have made friends. Is it coincidence, or has the witch outwitted Niamhín at the last? In either case, Niamhín’s careful planning for Artos’ safety has been for nought.

Artos has brought the seeds of his own destruction into their lives, but despite all her arguments, he will not hear of harm coming to a boy he considers under his protection. Niamhín recognises, with regret, that he is no longer a child. From now on, he has to live by his own decisions. Her role in his life is drawing to a close.

The book ends with Artos being left behind when his foster-father, Coel, heads to war with all his men, including Medraut. The boy takes the grey war-stallion he has been given as a consolation gift and gallops off into the Wild Forest, blinded by tears.

This is the end of The Blacksmith's Apprentice. Although it is a stand-alone novel, I have two sequels written in first draft, forming a trilogy.

In the first, A Plain Sword (working title), we follow young Artos through his life, his love-hate relationship with his adopted brother, attempts by Morag to subvert the course of history to his betrayal and apparent death at thirty two years of age.

In the third part of the trilogy, Desert and Dragons (definitely a working title!), we finally catch up with Niamhín's twin brother, Dylan, who has travelled to a future Britain, a war-torn land, invaded and dying. With the help of the twins, Artos helps the survivors rally to defeat the invaders, once again saving Britain, as Imrys's prophesies foretold.

I think it's mostly okay. It does leave me wonder why Niamh comes from our time and I might need something to convince me that has some bearing on the story. I'd also like some resolution about Dylan. Overall, I think it could be more joined up.

nice - but I do worry your beginning doesn't actually start there....

I guess I did compress the first 6k and a bit words of the novel into the first fourteen words of the synopsis lol! I thought I could squeeze that down, since they'll have that bit to read, but maybe I should enlarge a little....

The other points are well made, and I think I can draw it all together a little better with those in mind. Thank you so much for the help.

Is it okay to have the bit at the end about the sequels, or should I leave that out?

Hi Kerry, I echo most of Jo's points. I found it a little disjointed and there were a lot of names that though I am determined to learn how to pronounce, I just don't know yet (though once Uther is mentioned, the names all fit into their places for me with the Arthur story as a base).

The opening I thought you could do without for the most part, but as you say that is the opening 6k tht they will read, so it needs to be there. I would be tempted to start the synopsis with the '... Landed in the fifth-century', or expand to let us know why she is running and a bit more about her current situation.

Aside from tht I would suggest just to try and link the paragraphs up a little tighter. Apart from to say that I think they sound promising, I can't help with the sequels question, so I'll pass that on to the more submission experienced members ;)

I liked it. Only thing; para 9 they rediscover their love, and again in para 11 they are rebuilding their trust.

It hit me when their relationship was brought back up that rediscovering their love must not have been all it was cracked up to be, that more was required. I expect to see that tension follow through on the finished work.
If this is an unreasonable expectation on my part (and maybe even if it isn't) I would change it to just one reference of relationship rebuilding.

Am excited for you! I know you have been working hard on this one for a while.

Thank you, @hopewrites. It is exciting, and extremely scary. I keep telling myself there are thousands of subs, almost all of which won't make it past the slush-pile readers. There will probably only be a handful that make it to the next stage, so if it falls flat on its face, which statistically it will, at least I'll be in good company!

Hi Kerry! I only have time right now to consider the first paragraph...and something about the ordering of the facts revealed in the paragraph throws me a bit. I would think it should be revealed that she has landed back in the fifth century, before the detailed explanation of what her life with Imrys will be like. I've written up a mock-up of what I mean; I thought too it would be helpful to know where the rainy woodland is, so you don't have a moment of 'A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court' wonder about whether the person was displaced in location, as well as in time; I'm assuming she was displaced in time only, and that she is near, in the fifth century, where she was when she disappeared from modern times; perhaps I'm wrong about that. I chose Yorkshire, though I suspect this is not where the woods were. (I recognize that the way I'm suggesting this be written is less dramatic than the way you end the first paragraph now. This is all just for-your-consideration sort of stuff.)

One moment, archaeologist NIAMHÍN CASSIDY is running for her life in a rainy woodland near Yorkshire, the next she is in a cave, her injuries being tended to by an old man with secrets in his eyes. His name is IMRYS, and she learns from him that through mystical manipulations she has been transported to the fifth century, in Sub-Roman Britain. Imrys offers to assist Niamhín further, and under his guidance, and to make her way undetected in this foreign time and culture, she takes on the role of his nephew, hiding her true identity.

I'll try to find some time in the next few days to take a look at the rest of the synopsis. I hope that is of some use to you, and best of luck!! CC

ps--I wonder if you should briefly say who Niamhín is running from? There are a lot of very specific, small details given throughout the piece, but the beginning of the story is very quickly passed over. Perhaps expanding it even more than I show in the mock-up would help clarify things a bit later on? I'm not a pro though, so I'd go with whatever the experienced folk say here.

@Ray McCarthy, laughing at your comment, but thank you for the good wishes.

@Cat's Cradle, I think you're probably right. I will revamp that first paragraph too. For interest, the cave is in Wales (and you're right about her moving through time only, not space), but in all the earlier drafts I had the cave in Yorkshire. How on earth did you guess that one? Telepathy?

old man with secrets in his eyes.
Imrys is not as simple as he first appears
[/QUOTE]
kinda paradoxical,I think

wait, stop,ho.
Something is wrong about your synopsis,not sure what.
It reads like ..er... like a novelette.
There's a cast of hundreds in there.
Trouble is,I don't know what the usual synopsis looks like.
Whatever your synopsis is,it's not lean & mean

Last edited:
On the bit at the end: I dislike the first sentence. Stand-alone is cool. Trilogy is cool. Stand-alones sharing characters and a world (such as Joe Abercrombie did after The First Law) is fine, but it cannot be stand-alone *and* have direct sequels.

A question for others: are we meant to capitalise all characters in a person's name when they make their first appearance?

Synopsis fisking [worth noting I've written very few of these for years, so take my comments with a pinch of salt]:

One moment, archaeologist, NIAMHÍN CASSIDY is running for her life in a rainy woodland, the next she is in a cave, her injuries being tended to by an old man with secrets in his eyes. - dislike the 'one moment'. Just have 'Archaeologist Thingummyjig is running for her life [from what?] and falls/trampolines into a cave'. I'd also axe 'secrets in his eyes' and (if you want to) make him strange, dubious, suspicion, kindly etc [NB just one. The strange, dubious, suspicious, kind man sounds a bit odd].

His name is IMRYS - axe and have him named when you mention his strange suspicious kindliness.

and under his guidance Niamhín takes on the role of his nephew, hiding her true identity. She has landed in the fifth century, in Sub-Roman Britain. - wrong order. It reads weirdly to say she enters a cave and immediately decides to pretend to be a stranger's niece (not nephew - having read some more, I see what you mean, but at first reading this read as a mistake). And how does she know it's post-Roman?

Niamhín is determined to find a way back to her own time, where her twin brother, DYLAN, had gone missing under suspicious circumstances. - might she not want to explore and see if he's in the 5th century too?

He is a historian, who has a fascination with the Dark Ages. - could axe and just mention elsewhere he's a historian.

Niamhín discovers that Dylan may have travelled through the cave portal ahead of her, but definitely not to this time. - why not? If you keep the Dark Ages line, wouldn't you wonder about a Dark Ages historian being in the Dark Ages?

She begins to suspect that Imrys is not as simple as he first appears: he has the gift of foresight. He is also from a future time, having travelled back to the fifth century many years before. - it reads like he tells her this (perhaps after she guesses, but still). I think this could be streamlined.

Imrys tells her she has a role to play -- to keep the path of history on track; another time-traveller, the witch, MORAG, wants to change history to her own advantage. She sees Niamhín as a threat, not only to her plans, but also to the royal son her own powers tell her she will bear. - the threat is implicit, perhaps, and unless the royal son makes an appearance (or his royal father) you may be able to axe that.

When the witch sends men to kill Niamhín, she flees the cave with Imrys. They are joined on the run by GARETH, the village blacksmith, whose slow smile causes Niamhín to find her life as a boy increasingly irksome. - axe the bit about Gareth.

A little later she gets her wish when Imrys tells her to put on a dress again, but it isn't the release she hoped for. It seems Gareth still believes she is a boy, disguised as a young woman - a hard act to maintain. - and axe this too

Whilst fighting to escape one of Morag’s traps, Niamhín begins to discover her own gift. - which is?

Before she can learn to control it, her wild, untamed power steals the sight of a minstrel. Later she has no memory of killing her enemies, or of bringing the wounded Gareth back from the brink of death. The minstrel, JACK A’WHIST, stays with them in the hope that Niamhín will, in time, be able to heal his blindness. - if you axe the Gareth mentions above, just have him be 'a man' here. Also, the minstrel seems rather trusting giving she took his sight to start with.

When AMBROSIUS’ brother, UTHER, arrests Niamhín’s party it appears all is lost. - no mention of who these are/their relationship to either protagonist or antagonist.

Despite this setback, she succeeds in warning Ambrosius about the witch, but not before Morag has seduced Uther and poisoned his mind. Under her influence, Uther swears he will kill Niamhín. Ambrosius takes the blind minstrel under his wing, but it soon becomes clear to Niamhín that there is more to their relationship than just protection. - not sure the minstrel sentence is needed.

Their acts lead to war and bloodshed outside the walls of Tintagel Castle, but they succeed in bringing about the union. Niamhín reassures Ambrosius that the result of this night’s lust will be peace in their troubled land for years to come, even though she questions her own actions. Her fragile understanding with the quiet blacksmith is shattered – he cannot believe any king will be worth all the death and betrayal. She cannot bring herself to tell him that she carries his child. - axe the last two sentences (also, it sounds like she had sex with a mentally disabled man... am I misreading that? - gone back to check, I was misreading it 'slow smile' made me think he was a bit simple. Perhaps 'shy smile'? [although I probably read too much into it])

Gareth is making a sword, trying to create a weapon he dreams of most nights. His efforts never live up to his expectations, so eventually he asks Niamhín, who he had been training as an apprentice, to help him out. Together, combining their magic and rediscovering the love they share, and accompanied by Jack a'Whist's music, they forge a weapon unlike any seen in that age before. - I'd axe this and replace with a single sentence to the same effect.

Morag spreads false rumours about who fathered the child Ygraine bears. A distressed Ygraine begs Niamhín and Gareth to take the child and rear him as their own, keeping him safe from Morag and her plans. Since this is just what Niamhín's vision told her to do, she accepts the charge. - again, could be streamlined down to a sentence: "To keep Ygraine's child safe from Morag, Niamhin agrees to rear it as her own" (but if Morag also wants to kill Niamhin, is this any safer?)

Morgan’s poison is not just verbal. - axe

Ambrosius dies at her hand, leaving Uther as High King and Ygraine as his queen. Worse still, Niamhín finds out Morag also carries Uther’s child and that her baby will be the first-born. Morag disappears into hiding.

When ARTOS is born, Niamhín and Gareth carry him in secret to the wild north where no one will be able to find him. The trust they had lost slowly rebuilds as Gareth trains Artos in the use of arms and strategy, Imrys teaches him science and history and Niamhín tries to keep up with the reckless boy's mischief. - axe the second sentence (could add a clause about teaching him stuff in the first if you want to).

Between them Imrys, Gareth and Niamhín embed the sword in a boulder, deep in the Wild Forest. They place wards around it, so only the true-born son of Uther and Ygraine, the man who the sword recognises, can draw the sword. - whom :p

Artos has brought the seeds of his own destruction into their lives, but despite all her arguments, he will not hear of harm coming to a boy he considers under his protection. - I thought Medraut and Artos were both boys? Would a mother really put her son at risk, especially if he's just a boy? Could change 'young Artos' in the preceding paragraph' to clarify he's on the edge of manhood, if he is.

Niamhín recognises, with regret, that he is no longer a child. From now on, he has to live by his own decisions. Her role in his life is drawing to a close. - axe

The book ends with Artos being left behind when his foster-father, Coel, heads to war with all his men, including Medraut. - but Artos is older, right? Why would Artos be left behind?

The boy takes the grey war-stallion he has been given as a consolation gift and gallops off into the Wild Forest, blinded by tears. - not sure this is needed, unless he has a purpose in mind.

Great stuff from thaddeus! I wonder, Kerry, if you'll have time to do a rewrite, and then post again for final comments? CC

Okay - here goes. I have had a try a rewriting it, trying to take into account the advice received (thank you all so much). Please can I beg the favour of another quick skim through this? It's 25% shorter than the last attempt, but that doesn't necessarily mean 25% better!

And to think that I always thought this would be the easy bit....

Synopsis – BA – Mk II

NIAMHÍN CASSIDY is a young archaeologist living in the twenty-first century. When her twin brother's telepathic presence disappears from her mind, she knows she has to find him. Following his trail, she sneaks into a military firing range, which is more than it seems at first sight. After running through a wet forest, where she is hunted and shot at, she takes refuge in a cave. The wall collapses and she falls into oblivion.

Waking in the dark, disorientated, Niamhín discovers that she has travelled back in time by more than fifteen hundred years, to the Dark Ages. This is a time of conflict, when Britain is still reeling from the departure of the Romans.

She meets an old man, IMRYS, who teaches her how to survive in the fifth century, although she soon realises that he keeps his own secrets. Imrys has the gift of foresight, among other things, which saves them both when his enemy, the witch MORAG, sends men to kill him. They flee, with the help of the quiet village blacksmith, GARETH.

Gareth has dreamed of a sword, the like of which has never been seen in this time. He spends every spare moment trying to forge it the way he sees it, pouring his own gifts into the steel, but each time the sword is not quite perfect – something is missing. Despite his best intentions, he begins to form an attachment with Niamhín. He begins to teach her the basics of forging metal whenever they are in one place long enough.

Niamhín and Gareth become embroiled in the politics of the time, with Imrys becoming a royal advisor. Niamhín meets kings and generals, using her own gifts of telepathy and healing to keep history on track. She is opposed at every turn by Morag who sees her as a threat to her own ambitions: Morag intends to change the course of history, placing her own son on the throne instead of the rightful heir.

Niamhín is equally determined that history should follow the correct path, not just to keep the timeline intact, but also because she has discovered where her twin brother disappeared to – another time completely - a time in the future. His survival there depends on her actions now.

When her best friend falls in love with the wrong royal brother, Niamhín betrays the trust of the king to help the lovers. Her actions lead to bloodshed and death, but after a vision, and urged by Imrys, she believes it will be worth the price. The son born of this union will grow to be the King of Kings, uniting Britain and routing the Saxon invaders. Gareth believes she has betrayed his trust and leaves her before she has chance to tell him that she carries his child. Niamhín and Imrys are sent into exile.

Morag is also with child, the son she still hopes to place on the throne. With Niamhín and Imrys gone, she is able to carry out her plans. She poisons the king so his younger brother – the father of her unborn baby -- can take the throne.

Niamhín returns from exile, called back by her friend, who is now the queen. The queen has reason to believe her son will be murdered as soon as he is born, and she begs Niamhín to take him to safety, somewhere far from the intrigues of court.

Gareth sees Niamhín, now heavy with child, and they are reconciled. Together they make one last attempt to forge the sword that Gareth believes is vital to the young prince's safety. By combining their gifts and pouring the love they bear for each other into the steel, the sword finally comes to life. It contains magic which will recognise and protect the true heir to the throne.

But such magic always comes at a price. Niamhín collapses, bleeding, and loses her baby. Under Imrys's influence and with the help of some magic, the loss is kept secret. When the queen gives birth a few days later, the babies are swapped. Niamhín and Gareth, accompanied by Imrys, take the royal child into hiding in the far north of the country.

The boy, ARTOS, grows up to be a brave but headstrong young man. When he finds a blind minstrel in the Wild Forest, accompanied by a boy of his own age, he brings them back with him. Niamhín recognises the minstrel and her heart sinks. Whether through ill luck or because of Morag's planning, Artos has brought the seed of his own destruction into their lives.

This is the end of The Blacksmith's Apprentice. Although it can be a stand-alone novel, I have two other novels from the same world written in first draft, which can form a trilogy.

In A Plain Sword (working title), we follow young Artos through his life, his love-hate relationship with his adopted brother, up to his betrayal and apparent death at thirty two years of age.

In Desert and Dragons (working title!), we catch up with Niamhín's twin brother, Dylan, who has travelled to war-torn future-Britain. The twins reunite, but they have both changed in the years that have passed.

Much better this time for me. The opening is much stronger, and has very hooky details that we were missing the first time around, as well as her main motivations for travelling around, why she thinks her brier is gone etc.

A couple of things I could pick out, the para starting with 'Gareth has dreamed' still seems to come out of nowhere a bit, I think it's because I am unaware that it is more than one POV (it reads as though you have your main, gareth and Artos as POv at the moment, whther that's right or not I don't know).

Her best friend falls in love with the wrong royal brother, and then a paragraph down her arch nemesis is also pregnant via a royal brother; though I don't think this is the case, it sounds as though Morag is the best friend. Ad then to further complicate, her friend is queen, presumably by marriage to the wrong royal brother... Is this royal brother the same person in both cases, and did Morag trick him?

My final pont is that the Artos POV paragraph (though now I'm second guessing that it isn't just a single point of view. I can't recall what the critique scene you posted a while back was written like, 1st?) seems like it is a piece of a different story, the intro to the Artos sequel, A Plain Sword. With the inclusion of this I might be tempted to say that it isn't stand alone, and that the main foiling of Morag's tricks story arc and the forging are rounded off but this adds extra questions and a cliffhanger that might not be a single volume style... but I haven't read it;)

Hope this helps :)

Hope this helps :)

It does, thank you. More tidying to do, I think.

The story is written in 1st past with (at the moment anyway) two POV characters: Gareth and Niamhín. The last draft I wrote ended with Artos' birth, which is perhaps the better place to stop than the way I have it here. It can end with or without a cliffhanger, depending on whether or not a publisher/agent is interested in more than one of my novels - or if I decide to self-pub!

The purpose of the military firing range in the opening seems superfluous as you never come back to it. Unless there is actually a fair portion of the story dedicated to this part? I'm guessing this is the cause of the time event.

The rest seems ok. Giving an overall summary of the main thread of the story. Your main character has an idea of how history is written and wants to keep it on track, which is great. How she discovers he brother is in the far future would be an interesting one.

Your endearing of the love interest of your main character doesn't provide warm optimism 'Despite his best intentions'.

You also end on half a story with Artos. It keeps the story going that makes it feel more than just a cliffhanger. Reading this I wouldn't say it could be a 'stand-alone novel'.

You went from 1020 to 760 words. Cool!
I would work on tightening up the writing.
When introducing new characters, use their proper name first followed by a brief descriptor.
Unless you have a really good reason, I wouldn't use all caps for introducing characters. (Maybe bold?)

Niamhín Cassidy (why is the first name so unusual? why does her last name sound like a first name?) is a young archaeologist living in 2008 (why not use the exact date when the book starts? where is she living?). When her twin brother's telepathic presence disappears (a real mouthful) from her mind, she knows she has to find him. Following his trail, she sneaks into a military firing range, which is more than it seems (this is especially vague to me because I don't know what a military firing range is like or what would be "more" to it) at first sight. After running through a wet forest, where she is to escape being hunted and shot down, she takes refuge in a cave. The cave wall collapses around her and she falls into oblivion.

Waking in the darkness, disorientated, Niamhín discovers when she emerges that she has traveled back in time by more than fifteen hundred years – to the Dark Ages! This is a time of conflict,, when with Britain is still reeling from the departure of the Romans.

She meets an Imrys, an old man, IMRYS, who teaches her how to survive in the fifth century, although she soon realizes that he keeps his own secrets. Imrys has One of his gifts is the gift of foresight, among other things, which saves them both when Morag, his enemy, the witch, MORAG, sends men to kill them. They flee with the help of Gareth, the quiet village blacksmith, GARETH.

Gareth has dreamed dreams of a sword, the like of which has never been seen in his time. He spends every spare moment trying to forge it the way he sees it, pouring his own gifts into the steel, but each time, the sword is not quite perfect – something is missing. Despite his best intentions, he begins to form an attachment to Niamhín. He begins to teaches her the basics of forging metal whenever they stay in one place long enough.

Niamhín and Gareth become embroiled in the politics of the time, with Imrys becomes a royal advisor. Niamhín meets After meeting kings and generals, she uses her own gifts of telepathy and healing to keep history on track. She is opposed at every turn by Morag who sees her as a threat to her own ambitions: Morag opposes her at every turn, because the witch Morag intends to change the course of history by placing her own son on the throne instead of the rightful heir.

Niamhín is equally determined; history should follow the correct path, not just to keep the timeline intact, but also because she has discovered where her twin brother's survival there depends on her actions now. He disappeared to another time completely, a time in the future.

When her best friend (who? a girl?) falls in love with the "wrong" royal brother, Niamhín betrays the trust of the king's trust to help the lovers (is the helping them? how? or is she protecting the timeline?). Her actions lead to bloodshed and death, but after a vision, and urged by Imrys, she believes a vision and Imrys convince her it will be worth the price. The son born of this union to her best friend will grow to be the king of kings, uniting Britain and routing the Saxon invaders. Gareth believes she has betrayed his trust him; and he leaves her before she has a chance to tell him that she carries his child. She and Imrys are sent into exile.

Morag is also with child, the son she still hopes to place on the throne. With Niamhín and Imrys gone, she is able to carry out her plans. She poisons the king so his younger brother, the father of her unborn child baby, can take the throne.

Niamhín returns from exile, called back by her friend, who is now the queen. The queen has reason to believe her son will be murdered upon his birth as soon as he is born, and she begs Niamhín to take him to safety, somewhere far from the intrigues of the court.

Gareth sees Niamhín, now heavy with child, reconciles with Gareth and and they are reconciled. Together they make one last attempt to forge the sword that Gareth believes is vital to the young prince's safety. By combining their gifts and pouring their love they bear for each other into the steel, the sword finally comes to life. It contains magic ich will recognise and protect the true heir to the throne.

But such magic always comes at a price – Niamhín collapses, bleeding, and loses her baby. Under Imrys's influence, and with the help of some magic, the loss is kept secret. When the queen gives birth a few days later, the babies are swapped (you've lost me here. which baby was born before that they swapped in? who is the current queen after the king was poisoned?). Niamhín, and Gareth, accompanied by and Imrys, take the royal newborn child into hiding in the far north of the country.

The boy, ARTOS, Artos, the royal child, grows up to be a brave, but headstrong young man. When he finds a blind minstrel in the Wild Forest, accompanied by a boy of his own age, he and brings them back with him. Niamhín recognizes the minstrel and her heart sinks – Whether through ill-luck or because of Morag's planning, Artos has brought the seed of his own destruction into their lives. (wondering if others wondered "okay, so am I supposed to know who the minstrel is?)

Status
Not open for further replies.