Hodderscape Open Submission Window

Well Kerry, at least your surname is okay. I mean, surely there couldn't be that many Buchanans in Ireland? :sneaky:

surely there couldn't be that many Buchanans in Ireland?

You'd be surprised. It's a Scottish surname, and here in Northern Ireland a big chunk of the population is descended from Scottish settlers, after the Plantation of Ulster in the late sixteenth/early seventeenth centuries. My husband is descended from one of them, hence the Scottish surname. There are a lot of Buchanans around these here parts.

Not entirely sure where the Zebedee came from, though :p

My Dad did a fair bit of research into Zebedee and traced it back to Wiltshire. It's not as uncommon a name as it sounds, but because it's distinctive people seem to remember it.

As far as I can tell, it's medieval English when people took the names of saints to imbue themselves with the qualities associated with them and in the bible both the sons of Zebedee, James and John, are saints.) there is also a rumour that it came to Britain with Joseph of Arimathea and the Holy Grail.

It's been in NI for at least five or six generations - maybe more, I'd have to check - and I also have a dose of French Hugenot (my mother is a Larmour - a lot of Hugenots fled to Ireland), some Scots (as Kerry says my area of Ulster, the province, is closely linked with Scotland - it's only 14 miles between them at thr shortest point) and lord knows what else. :)

I think Zebedee is also French?

My wife's family has Hugenot connections.

Both our families have Scottish, N.I. and more southern Irish roots (more recently Co. Slash/Stroke and Co. Down). My Great Grandparents (or perhaps their parents) on one side were Welsh. My real surname is common Manx & North of England name, but we are not descended from them as the name was simply adopted in the 18th Century by most of the related families. We don't know why as there doesn't seem to have been anything wrong with the real family name nor any advantage to the assumed surname.

population is descended from Scottish settlers
Who may in some cases be descended from Irish Settlers. Also before the Famine era Antrim Coast Road was made there was more North Antrim coast traffic with Scotland than with rest of Ireland.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it is French, although the magic roundabout orginated there, obviously. On that note, my brother has a cutting where a Frne h court upheld an appeal that naming a baby Zebedee was cruel and unusual and should be disallowed. :D

Anyhow, we're way off topic. Anyone heard anything yet? Any partials requested?

Those of us who are not as downtrodden and jaundiced by the whole process are still bouncing around excitedly -- well, I am, anyway! Surely my rejection will arrive by special delivery, with a hand-written note of apology from their senior editor, on the 1st October 2015. How could it be otherwise? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Those of us who are not as downtrodden and jaundiced by the whole process are still bouncing around excitedly -- well, I am, anyway! Surely my rejection will arrive by special delivery, with a hand-written note of apology from their senior editor, on the 1st October 32015. How could it be otherwise? :ROFLMAO:

Kerry, you're perilously close to a slap. One more comment about your rejection and it's-a-coming. Just sayin' like.

Their latest comment (17th September) says they'll start letting people know on 20th September, but may not finish until the end of October. Roughly 6 weeks of tension! Fingers crossed. I'm not sure what I'm wishing for at the moment. Maybe no news will be good news.

What they mean is that they'll start letting people know after the 20th. 20th is when they're going to have some people to let know, but it'll continue going on as they whittle down the selection.

I had a word with Glitch last week and he said that (hopefully) people with start to be emailed this week. If that's true, you only have to hold your breath till Friday. With my entry I won't waste the energy.