New start - does pov work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jo Zebedee

Aliens vs Belfast.
Supporter
I have an existing start to this which was in the female - who is the main character, but Joe will be the second character so I'm not totally worried about it starting with him - point of view. Anyway, one of the critters suggested it might be better in Joe's pov as it avoids a clumsy pov split, and it allows me to introduce the family in a more leisurely scene before all-hell-breaks-loose in Chapter Three.
So, I thought rather than torturing my poor writing group, I'd get some opinions here as to whether this works. It's planned to be upper-end YA - 16-18 age group. The pov character is around 18.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe threw another nut down and the squirrel moved carefully forwards until it was practically on the older girl, Charley’s, feet. Her eyes met his, cautiously impressed, and he hid a smile. So many of the older kids wouldn’t come near the Rangers’ Lodge, let alone on a squirrel hunt with their kid brother and sister, and had no idea what they were missing. Plus, she was cute.

The squirrel raised onto its hind legs, not wild at all, its tail a red flag against the green of the forest. The younger girl, Annie, moved in a little closer. Even the little boy was quiet, too busy watching to create the sort of chaos his first ten minutes in the lodge had promised.

“We have quite a few tame ones,” whispered Joe. He scattered a few more nuts on the ground. “Can’t think why.”

Charley grinned. “That’s cheat -- ”

A rumble sounded in the distance – one of the fighter jets on their test flights over the forest. The sound of its engine grew louder, a sharp rend of noise. The plane’s shadow darkened the path for a second as it zipped overhead, and then the noise faded, followed by a last distant boom.

A slapping, screeching mess of a sound came. Birds burst from the forest, somewhere near Valley Ridge, wheeling dark against the clear sky. The squirrel dropped its nut, darted up a tree and away.

Joe was already on his feet. The animals didn’t care about the planes – they were used to them. “Sorry, squirrel hunt’s over.”

He took off at a jog. The forest sounded normal: crackling twigs; people in the holiday village calling to each other. But still the screeching birds circled overhead and he struggled to cast off the feeling that something was wrong, something that had started with the shriek of the plane and the whirring of birds.

He’d go through the forest, taking the short-cuts none of the visitors knew about. It would be quicker than going back to the Rangers’ lodge for one of the jeeps. Still circling, the birds screeched on and on. He’d never known any behaviour like that before, and he sped up. He wasn’t smart, but he knew his forest. Better than any of the older Rangers, better than anyone who hadn’t spent half their childhood finding ways to slip through the perimeter fence. He’d spent days hiding in the deep forest, never being found. No one knew the woods like he did, and there was something wrong.

He jumped a shallow ditch and ran through the trees. He was supposed to be knocking off for the day around now, not haring off on some fool’s mission, but there was no way he could leave until he knew what had happened.

The ground-cover of soft pine needles gave way to the leaf-mold of the traditional forest. Here, the trees were less spaced out and managed, truer to the forest that must have been here before the holiday park. This was the forest he loved; the reason he worked in the park. Any noise from the tourists faded away.

He crossed the small river separating Creek Wood from Valley Ridge. The forest was dark around him, barely any sun coming through the leaf-heavy canopy. He found himself turning towards the perimeter fence. If anything had crashed nearer the village, someone would have already reported it in. He set off for the deepest woods, his feet seeming to carry him without thought. No animals ran from him as he jogged past and that was odd, too - this deep into the forest, wildlife should be scattering, but the forest was still, as if emptied.

The birds had stopped their shrieking.

A chill crept up his spine, and he slowed his steps. It occurred to him that he should have called into the Rangers’ Lodge and told someone where he was going. His hand crept to the radio on his belt, reassuring him, and he moved forwards, nerves alert.

A ridge of bare soil appeared, a scar in the forest, and he frowned. He knew Forest Beck well - the large, secluded lodges, used by families seeking peace over convenience; the beaten track that led to the lake and the centre of the village. There should be no ridge like that. Carefully, he climbed it. His hand tightened, almost unconsciously, on his radio. He crested the hill.

Below, in the centre of a small clearing, lay mangled wreckage. Tendrils of smoke drifted up, becoming lost in the tree canopy. The plane from earlier? There was nothing else it could be.

Jesus. He ran down the side of the ridge. The pilot must still be in the ship. He tried to work out how long it had been since the crash. At least ten minutes.

He jumped something smouldering on the forest floor, not pausing to see what it was, and dashed towards the centre of the clearing. His first aid training came to mind, a jumbled mix of resuscitation and recovery positions. He was used to twisted ankles and wasp stings, not something like this.

He ran into something unseen and hit it hard. He was lifted off his feet and flung backwards. He had time to give one shout before he came down and his head hit something hard. Damn it, I should have called in. Darkness took him.

Congrats on 11,308 posts! I'm going to be picky because why not.

Joe threw another nut down and the squirrel moved carefully forwards until it was practically on the older girl, Charley’s, feet. [Bit clumsy and aimed at the reader. I'd say Charley's -- we find out she an older girl in the next couple of lines] Her eyes met his, cautiously impressed, and he hid a smile. So many of the older kids wouldn’t come near the Rangers’ Lodge, let alone on a squirrel hunt with their kid brother and sister, and had no idea what they were missing. Plus, she was cute. [What about her is cute? Some particular detail would give more realism, I think.]

The squirrel raised onto its hind legs, not wild at all, its tail a red flag against the green of the forest. [Couldn't visualise this -- if its tail is against the forest, then the POV must be only inches off the ground. Is it?] The younger girl, Annie, moved in a little closer. Even the little boy was quiet, too busy watching to create the sort of chaos his first ten minutes in the lodge had promised.

“We have quite a few tame ones,” whispered Joe. He scattered a few more nuts on the ground. “Can’t think why.”

Charley grinned. “That’s cheat -- ”

A rumble sounded in the distance – one of the fighter jets on their test flights over the forest. [Charley's breaking off mid-word suggests the noise is sudden and startling, but an approaching jet is unlikely to be.] The sound of its engine grew louder, a sharp rend of noise. The plane’s shadow darkened the path for a second [pickily (I did warn you) for a tiny fraction of a second. How about moment?] as it zipped overhead, and then the noise faded, followed by a last distant boom. [He'll have heard jets often, so this boom would have stood out, yet he doesn't comment. On first read, I thought it was just that extra noise you sometimes get when a jet turns or something. I interpreted "fading" as meaning fading to silence over about half a minute. Does no one speak in this time?]

A slapping, screeching mess of a sound came. [The feel to me is of a gap between the boom and this] Birds burst from the forest, somewhere near Valley Ridge [how far away is this?], wheeling dark against the clear sky. [What kind of birds, and why in such a concentration? Wheeling suggests crows, and having a lot of them suggests rooks, but they're not forest birds. Smaller birds in panic would move away within the canopy, not expose themselves] The squirrel dropped its nut, darted up a tree and away.

Joe was already on his feet. The animals didn’t care about the planes – they were used to them. “Sorry, squirrel hunt’s over.” [But he hasn't commented on anything unusual yet either, and I think he would have noticed.]

He took off at a jog. The forest sounded normal: crackling twigs; people in the holiday village calling to each other. But still the screeching birds circled overhead and he struggled to cast off the feeling that something was wrong, something that had started with the shriek of the plane and the whirring of birds.

He’d go through the forest, taking the short-cuts none of the visitors knew about. It would be quicker than going back to the Rangers’ lodge for one of the jeeps. Still circling, the birds screeched on and on. He’d never known any behaviour like that before, and he sped up. He wasn’t smart, but he knew his forest. [I can believe him commenting on knowing his forest, but not sure why he'd be thinking about his intelligence.] Better than any of the older Rangers, better than anyone who hadn’t spent half their childhood finding ways to slip through the perimeter fence. He’d spent days hiding in the deep forest, never being found. No one knew the woods like he did, and there was something wrong.

He jumped a shallow ditch and ran through the trees. He was supposed to be knocking off for the day around now, not haring off on some fool’s mission, but there was no way he could leave until he knew what had happened.

The ground-cover of soft pine needles gave way to the leaf-mold [leafmould] of the traditional forest. Here, the trees were less spaced out and managed, truer to the forest that must have been here before the holiday park. This was the forest he loved; the reason he worked in the park. Any noise from the tourists faded away.

He crossed the small river separating Creek Wood from Valley Ridge. The forest was dark around him, barely any sun coming through the leaf-heavy canopy. He found himself turning towards the perimeter fence. If anything had crashed nearer the village, someone would have already reported it in. He set off for the deepest woods, his feet seeming to carry him without thought. No animals ran from him as he jogged past and that was odd, too - this deep into the forest, wildlife should be scattering, but the forest was still, as if emptied. [What animals would he expect to see if he's crashing through the forest? They'd have heard him ages ago.]

The birds had stopped their shrieking.

A chill crept up his spine, and he slowed his steps. It occurred to him that he should have called into the Rangers’ Lodge and told someone where he was going. His hand crept to the radio on his belt, reassuring him, and he moved forwards, nerves alert.

A ridge of bare soil appeared, a scar in the forest, and he frowned. He knew Forest Beck well - the large, secluded lodges, used by families seeking peace over convenience; the beaten track that led to the lake and the centre of the village. There should be no ridge like that. Carefully, he climbed it. His hand tightened, almost unconsciously, on his radio. He crested the hill.

Below, in the centre of a small clearing, lay mangled wreckage. Tendrils of smoke drifted up, becoming lost in the tree canopy. The plane from earlier? There was nothing else it could be. [I'd like more description]

Jesus. He ran down the side of the ridge. The pilot must still be in the ship. [Ship? I think he might be pre-empting the story. ;o)]He tried to work out how long it had been since the crash. At least ten minutes.

He jumped something smouldering on the forest floor, not pausing to see what it was, and dashed towards the centre of the clearing. [Wasn't the clearing caused by the crash? If so, isn't there mangled timber and all sorts?] His first aid training came to mind, a jumbled mix of resuscitation and recovery positions. He was used to twisted ankles and wasp stings, not something like this.

He ran into something unseen and hit it hard. He was lifted off his feet and flung backwards. He had time to give one shout before he came down and his head hit something hard. Damn it, I should have called in. Darkness took him.

There was a fair bit i couldn't really get a handle on, such as the nature of the noise and his and the wildlife's reaction to it. The crash is ten minutes' run from his lodge, so not much more than a mile at most, but the sound of the jet faded until there was a "distant boom" which suggests to me a few miles. The birds' behaviour seems wrong, too -- from my observation, birds startled by a loud noise will tend to panic a bit but settle quite quickly unless there's a continuing threat. So, I didn't really feel that I was "there" in the physical reality, and as a consequence I didn't really settle into his POV. Maybe the kind of detail I'd like would be too heavy for a YA book. But I think even a little would suggest the reality of the place a lot more. Anyway, I think the sequence of events works as a basis, but I'd focus more on his perception of noise and distance.

Fab, so a couple of things - the birds movement is unusual, and it's supposed to be? Perhaps if he recognised it as such?

The plane - have you ever been where low flying army techniques are carried out? That's what I'm trying to capture. The whole thing from first noise to last is maybe only about twenty - thirty seconds. (Anyone in the Lake District of the UK? Is that about right?) does it need more to get that across.

The tail and the green was mentioned before. It might have to go. Darn it.

Ps Clearing is described more later, pretty much as you have it. But how much would he notice as he ran down? I'll pop a sentence in and see if that does it. :)

Fab, so a couple of things - the birds movement is unusual, and it's supposed to be? Perhaps if he recognised it as such?

But are you wanting them to behave in an abnormal way for the loudness of the bang? Is there something supernatural going on? In any case, I'd expect someone like him to be able to identify the species (plural), because people who work with wildlife and nature tend to be very sharp on identifying things; they take pride in it. Other readers might not pick it up, but even for them, I think extra detail in his thoughts would sink them deeper into the POV.

The plane - have you ever been where low flying army techniques are carried out? That's what I'm trying to capture. The whole thing from first noise to last is maybe only about twenty - thirty seconds. (Anyone in the Lake District of the UK? Is that about right?) does it need more to get that across.

I think what's missing is the relationship between the jet and the boom. I don't know what the crashed thing is, but if it was dropped from the jet, the boom would surely come before the jet noise had faded, so he wouldn't think it was the jet. If the noise is actually the jet crashing, i think it would be more obvious, louder, at that distance.

The tail and the green was mentioned before. It might have to go. Darn it.

Hmm, I wonder who by? But why not just green against the grass? (Assuming they're on some kind of grassy space by the lodge.)

I think it is a little smoother in Joe's POV, but we do need to be more in his head, I think. Also the level of language might be a little patronising for the slightly older YA readers. Just my opinion, and you know how good I am at YA lol!

I can sort out his smirking. I think after toing and froing with patient @HareBrain, I'll go with this pov but make it clearer there's a reason for the birds' odd behaiour, that there is something off with the jet compared to normal, and that what he finds in the woods is an uh-oh....

Thanks, both!

I liked this and to answer the question; yes it works for a POV to start the story. If he were to be the main character I might be inclined to want more to his feelings and the whole experience, but this works in the sense that it suggests that he might not be the most important character in the story, yet he's still a great place to start.

It read quite smooth for me and I love those black out endings as a good sort of end or stop here or extra space for a break to the next scene.

I liked this and to answer the question; yes it works for a POV to start the story. If he were to be the main character I might be inclined to want more to his feelings and the whole experience, but this works in the sense that it suggests that he might not be the most important character in the story, yet he's still a great place to start.

It read quite smooth for me and I love those black out endings as a good sort of end or stop here or extra space for a break to the next scene.

Thanks, Tinker. I always find them hard to do without shifting into omni (which I might have tiptoed into here....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back