When you have no writing credits.

Phyrebrat

www.beanwriting.com
Supporter
Hi,

Bit out of my depth here; while I research for my WIP, and following the LONCHRON15 meeting with Venusian Broon, Harebrain and DG Jones (particularly after an informative chat with VB), I've decided to pitch one of my short stories.

The submission guidelines are pretty straightforward but this part is causing me concern

There's no need to spend too long on a covering letter, just introduce yourself and tell us of any relevant credits you have

I don't have any credits - so I am wondering how to address this. Will they care, for example about my activity here etc?

pH

Just don't put anything. We all had a submission like that once upon a time. Don't worry about it. They will see you as a fresh new talent that's all .

everybody starts out with no credits :)
dependent on your posts here, you could say that you're honing skills as a critiquer on SFF Chronicles (for example), but it won't sway the decision.

Phyre, you can also say something about what you have written and that you have just recently decided to work on getting something published. It makes it sound like you are a newbie to the submitting, not someone who has spent the last ten years getting rejections.

Good luck man! I'm crossing my fingers for you.

Until I'd had a couple of shorts published, I did use my 300 worder win here, especially as I'd won a prize. I think it'd be okay to use a 75 too (I think you've got one or two -- or you should do after all the votes I've given you! ;) )

Thanks again, all.

I think this must be the first time I have ever posted in this sub-forum. You've all settled my fretting mind. It's stupid, you know; it's not the rejection that bothers me but the fact that someone may think, No no no, that's not what you should say. Idiot. :)

Until I'd had a couple of shorts published, I did use my 300 worder win here, especially as I'd won a prize. I think it'd be okay to use a 75 too (I think you've got one or two -- or you should do after all the votes I've given you! ;) )

Do you hear that, everyone? Voting is open for the July 300... Remedy's going to steal it... here's your chance to get me published <cough> :D

pH

So Phyre, did you shoot anything out there into the submission universe?

Hi,

Bit out of my depth here; while I research for my WIP, and following the LONCHRON15 meeting with Venusian Broon, Harebrain and DG Jones (particularly after an informative chat with VB), I've decided to pitch one of my short stories.

The submission guidelines are pretty straightforward but this part is causing me concern

I don't have any credits - so I am wondering how to address this. Will they care, for example about my activity here etc?

pH

If you have no writing credits, it's best to say nothing.

Besides, editors and first readers are usually incredibly busy, pressed for time. So the shorter the cover letter the better.

NAMASTE

C.E. Gee

If you have no writing credits, it's best to say nothing.

Besides, editors and first readers are usually incredibly busy, pressed for time. So the shorter the cover letter the better.

NAMASTE

C.E. Gee
you have to start soemwhere why not here.

As mentioned, no, you don't need any writing credits. Don't mention your posting here, no one will care. If anything it might hurt.

Most editors only care about the piece you submit. If you have no credits or few credits to your name, they won't really care. It only starts to matter when you're stepping up from pay categories or if you've got some really good credits to your name.

Just in case you don't already have this link: http://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com/