Windows 10 - yes or no?

If it's worth anything, I've found it simplest just to update, update, update. It's how things are designed now. You used to have to find out how to update yourself. Now the computer just bugs you.

That's all well and good but when you have a laptop and you're travelling a lot you frequently need to shut your computer down and get going in a hurry and then you get that message that it's going to spend the next 30 minutes doing updates and you mustn't switch it off.

Well, my question is, should I update Java on Win7, just because it wants to?

Unless I'm missing a joke (skimmed through the thread, a little else), I'm going to channel my inner Ray (;)) and tell you to get rid of it. Unless you're a Java dev, or use desktop programs that need the runtime, of course. Heaven forbid you need it for the browser, because Java on the web is an atrocity, from a development standpoint, a security standpoint, and a user experience standpoint, and should be met with fire and extreme prejudice at every opportunity.

---

I finally upgraded over the weekend, and I'm a happy bunny! Got all my Windows 7 updates in over the last month (which turned my pristine, never-updated-since-launch-day copy into a crawling wreck), but didn't get my new hardware until the weekend.

Loving that the UI is more 7 than 8/8.1
Loving the smaller icons on the taskbar (nearly had my Win7 one filled!).
Loving the stupendously quick startup.
Loving the new start menu.

Somewhat amused by the duplication of settings, and the parallel existence of the original control panel and its settings (all in their original attire) alongside the new Windows 10 settings panel and options (in the new Windows 10 attire).

Indifferent about the weird new icons.

My only complaint is that nVidia has put out the worst graphics drivers in the history of mankind (and apparently has been doing for at least a year), which leads to system crashes if I try and do anything that makes my graphics card work for its keep. Though in a weird way I'm enjoying it - my rig feels like my rig again, rather than some mass-produced cubicle toy that just chugs along. I haven't had to troubleshoot for years!

And I've only made fatal errors in judgement that required me to wipe everything and start again twice since Sunday. :D

I turned it off, back on and off a few times. Seems fine when off. Meanwhile, youTube is acting up. I can't paste anything into it. It works fine here, and elsewhere, but YoTub has decided to be goofy and wreck formatting as well. I thot it mite be a 'java' thing but apparently not. Oh well.

I tried 10 and reverted back to 7 on my 2 yr old Lenovo laptop after:

1)Mousepad stopped working. Checked with IBM, they have not written the drivers yet for WIN 10
2)Intermittent black screens coming up in the middle of random program usage lasting up to 2 minutes.
3) Cyclical dropouts for the key board. ex...Typing this sentence would drop 2-3 letters every other word.
4) Highlighted items would drop out and not allow entry/editing. Filling out a form, click on box, turns grey no entry allowed, click 2-3 time more to get it accept data entry.

After reverting to 7 all problems cleared up and I am back to a stable platform. It will be a long, long time before I will try 10 again.

MS don't pay me to test their software, so I don't any more. On my old XP laptop I just shoehorned a Mini-IDE to SATA adaptor into the HDD Media Bay adapator and swapped 40G IDE for a 250G SATA. I'll put Linux Mint (Mate desktop) on 60G of that so I can dual boot it. Copying a 30G backup from USB HDD onto the the remaining 190G space. £0.99 for the adaptor inc postage from China! No SATA driver needed either.

Successfully moved 4G of email from Thunderbird on XP to Thunderbird on a different laptop running Linux Mint.

Think I'll just stick with 8.1 for now. Thanks folks!

Same here. People keep moaning about 8 and 8.1. I think I'm on 8 and it's working just fine for me. Don't see what the fuss is all about. It's missing the "Start" button at the bottom where previous Windows versions put it but the shop I bought my laptop from set it up so I have easy access to everything including My Computer, shutting down the laptop etc.

As for Windows 10 - my brother upgraded to Windows 10 and his webcam will not work anymore. He's trying to change back to Windows 7.

I'm a dinosaur when it comes to computers. I use the arrow keys on the 10 key pad. I prefer a mouse to a touch pad. But after just purchasing my first machine with a touch screen I believe that I prefer the touch screen to the idiotic touch pad which is always moving my cursor where I don't and especially when I don't want it to move.

Windows 10 has the most aggravating feature on my 2 copies of 8.1. I keep getting offered free upgrades. Grrrr!

I prefer the touch screen to the idiotic touch pad which is always moving my cursor where I don't and especially when I don't want it to move.
I agree, but it's only the lesser of two evils, as it can be very annoying when working with the computer while trying to read an A4 (or letter-size) document in portrait** orientation, as the top of the paper can, and often does, move the contents of the screen all over the place.

As for the touch pad, I've found that some are so sensitive, they move the cursor when I type using the laptop's keyboard; which is why I always, if I can, use a separate keyboard, not the built-in one, solely to keep my hands and wrists away from the touch pad.

** - Or even landscape: the only PC (as opposed to tablet) I use is and all-in-one (basically the computer's innards are built in to the display screen enclosure), so I can keep a decent distance between the screen and the keyboard. Unfortunately, it still leaves (pun intended) less than 12" between the screen and the top of the keyboard. (Oh, and my multifocal glasses mean that it is far easier to have the paper document in front of me rather than to one side.)

As for the touch pad, I've found that some are so sensitive,
I always set them up in Windows or Linux to disable completely if a mouse is plugged in. Also on Linux Mate desktop you can disable touch pad only while typing.
Why has no laptop keyboard (or cover keyboard) got a scroll wheel and / or middle button?

With everything being written for smart phones and tablets now, even the right mouse button seems (rather annoyingly) to be on it's way out.

I always set them up in Windows or Linux to disable completely if a mouse is plugged in. Also on Linux Mate desktop you can disable touch pad only while typing.

Ray can you tell me how to do this in a way that a near computing Neanderthal like myself can understand? I have the commands for my touch pad turned off on my HP, but the cursor can still move. It doesn't often, either because I've gotten better at typing with my palms in the air, or because the design put the pad in a bit of concave situation. But on the new Acer I just got at home, I'll bet I move my cursor unintentionally half a dozen times in 100 words, if I take my hands off the keyboard for some reason.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Technology 58
Brian G Turner Technology 25
Serendipity Publishing 7
W Technology 0
Toby Frost Technology 18