Windows 10 - yes or no?

Can I take out Windows 10? If so, will I lose all my Word docs? I'm a bit worried about making things worse. I'll just have to rewrite this scene, but it's so frustrating. This keeps happening all the time and I just don't trust Word anymore.

1. You can if you know how to install Windows 7 (or can pay someone to do it for you). My new laptop is still under warranty and the shop I bought it from has the Windows 7 programme tucked into it as a back-up just in case Windows 10 keeps throwing up issues and we need to activate Windows 7 instead.

2. No, you won't lose your documents if they have been saved as a file. Microsoft office is separate from Microsoft Windows. You just need to reinstall Microsoft Office after you switch OS versions so you can open the files.

I have just lost three hours of writing this morning from Word because it wouldn't save - just hanging there. This keeps happening, ever since I got Windows 10.

I write in a text editor wth an autosave feature set to 10 minutes. I mostly use Linux and otherwise Windows 7.

I have a UNIX Administration book from 2001 that talked about the Planned Obsolescence of computer software.

Curiously I had a conversation with a proposal manager at an opinion research firm who complained about useless upgrades in word processing software in 2000. How many useless features and file formats can they come up with to make people upgrade? I find Windows 8 annoying. More annoying than 7.

psik

I've caught back up. The scene has been written and is well and truly saved!

Thank you for all the support and suggestions. I'm going to make sure any new document I open is saved before I write anything. It's Office 365 I'm using, by the way, and I've been told that it doesn't do autosave. Not sure if that's correct or not. It certainly didn't autosave when I needed it to.

and I've been told that it doesn't do autosave
Is there a chance that the autosave -- assuming it happens at all (which it may not do) -- may have been saving your recovery file to the SkyDrive?

From PC magazine's 10 Things You Need to Know About Office 365:
1. In the cloud. Microsoft Office 365 is "in the cloud" from two perspectives. First, buying the suite necessarily requires downloading it, which is to say, you can't buy it on a disc (the exception being in developing countries, where Microsoft will continue to sell discs). Second, the office suite itself is set up to save your documents to the cloud, SkyDrive in this case, if you so choose. You do still have the option to save files locally, but the apps integrate tightly with SkyDrive.
I know that this is unlikely: the recovery file should have been offered to you when you restarted Word, but I thought I'd mention it.

Meanwhile, XP rocks on. Offline, with Office 2000 onnit. Poifect, I tell ya. It autoslaves and has no fancydan features. It's so good that I have sold all my old pencils and pens. Really good.

A good thought, Ursa, but I checked that, just in case. Thank you for the suggestion, though. :)

I have installed 10Pro on a VM; switched off all the usual PI-gathering apps & switches, and have to confess to quite liking what I have seen over the last few months!

As others have said, 10 is all the best bits from their legacy OSs, and is much better for it; although personally I am quite happy to continue using 7.

Working in IT at my place of work, we're already moving everyone over to 10 so that we can also migrate them from Office/Exchange, to Office365.

Am not a big fan of this "Cloud-is-all" solution; not least because you have no real control over your data, given that it's been hosted on someone else's datacentre.

I also suspect Microsoft are going to unleash an ugly can of whoopass on "10" users, now that the free-upgrade deal is over, and they have milllions of users in their grasp. The upgrade carrot was free, but the Big Stick will be coming soon, methinks.

Since Win 10 updates have twice locked up this laptop, I'm rather sick and tired of it, already.

Since Win 10 updates have twice locked up this laptop, I'm rather sick and tired of it, already.

Could be a conflict with old software/hardware drivers. You might be able to uninstall the troublesome update; although there's every chance it will reinstall itself at the next rollout.

Could be a conflict with old software/hardware drivers. You might be able to uninstall the troublesome update; although there's every chance it will reinstall itself at the next rollout.

I recovered to an earlier date both times. If they reinstalled later, there was no problem with either. This laptop came with Win10 installed, or I wouldn't have ever used Win10. There are definitely things I like about it, but others I'm no so thrilled with.

Although generally I'm happy with windows 10 it did take an hour to install the anniversary version updates recently, without warning how long roughly it would take. I had to power off at one point but it finished ok.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Technology 58
Brian G Turner Technology 25
Serendipity Publishing 7
W Technology 0
Toby Frost Technology 18