POV Problems...

The Storyteller

Hello all. I apologize in advance for a long post...

As some of you may know from my previous posts, I have recently begun work on the second draft of a middle grade(ish) fantasy novel. I have given myself a deadline for a finished copy of this novel (end of next summer) as I feel deadlines are sorely lacking in my writing experiences! And, since I chose to focus on this idea because it is a shorter, more simple story, I would like to actually finish it! However, I’ve been having some trouble…

When I started this story, my main inspiration for it was the ‘voice’ of it, which to me would be something along the lines of The Hobbit, The Chronicles of Narnia (sort of), Lloyd Alexander’s books, etc. Based on this, I wrote the entire novel with a similar kind of tone, creating a story I thought was humorous and enjoyable to read, but also had some drama and action. The basic plot is that a gnome named Mulgrin must go on a quest and become a hero in order to become a wizard. But he bases most of his ideas and plans on stories, causing him to do very foolish things. (For example, he sets out with hardly any food or supplies, since heroes in stories don’t start out with very much and yet food always seems to find them.) Needless to say, he soon discovers the real world is very unlike the stories he has grown up with.

Almost a year ago, I put up the first 600 words on the critique forum and got a lot of feedback, which was mostly concerned with two issues; the beginning was too slow/boring, and the point-of-view didn’t work. The POV included some head hops and was confusing between omniscient and close third.

When I went to rewrite the beginning for the second draft, I attempted to address the issues brought up. Unfortunately, I seemed to just keep hitting my head against a wall. Somehow I just couldn’t make it sound right, and since the ‘voice’ was the leading inspiration for the novel, I was having trouble moving forward when I was failing to capture that voice. Somehow by eliminating the ‘head hops’ and trying to bring it into close third, I was losing the sound I had loved in the first draft.

I started doing a lot of research into POV, and honestly I feel more confused now than I was before. While I used to think I understood POV fairly instinctively, now I’m not certain if I know what I’m doing or not. Plus, a lot of what I read about omniscient/close third viewpoints was inconsistent. I pulled out dozens of my dad’s younger reads from his library and studied the narrative to try and get a better idea of it all, but I still feel a bit unsure what is what, or where my story falls.

I tried reading over different segments of my story and identifying what POV it is and if it was consistent. Mostly, it seems omniscient, but at times I think (by some of the definitions) it would be close third. Regardless, all accounts said that omniscient (while once popular) is very out of style, is hard to write, and would be difficult to get published.

So I thought maybe I should try gearing away from omni into close third, but unfortunately that really doesn’t suit my story, and the ‘voice’ that was my entire inspiration is clearly one suited to omniscient. The narrator is the one with the voice, and it is through this narration that the humour comes to light. Because the feel of my story is something based on a lot of the older books I love, it falls into the same omniscient style that was popular at that time. And for the most part I feel it suits my story.

Because Mulgrin is a bumbler and a bit of a fool, it works really well to have a narrator remarking on his actions, as an omni narrator is able to note things Mulgrin would not. He is quite unlikely to see himself as comical or as foolish as he is, nor is he observant enough to really read much into other people’s actions.

For example, Mulgrin meets an irritable creature who serves as his guide, and at one point the narrator says: “With much stumbling on Mulgrin’s part and several insults from Proto-Ganzit—who was having more fun than he had had in years—they came finally to a pleasant, burbling brook.” I wouldn’t be able to say that in close third as Mulgrin doesn’t know that Proto-Ganzit is having fun, nor would he be likely to notice it. I could try to hint at it, but it would be difficult to get it across right. Plus, it would lose the humour captured in a simple line of narration.

The first half of the story especially leans towards humour and seems best for omni; it is used in a similar way as Gordan Korman’s ‘I Wanna Go Home’, which I feel is a perfect example of that POV working well and not being confusing with ‘head hops’, not to mention using the style to maximize the humour. (In that book, you don’t feel you are particularly in any one’s POV specifically, but more that you are ‘watching’ the action. You do periodically dip into someone’s head for one paragraph, which allows for additional humour and insight in the story. It was never jarring, and remains one of the funniest children’s novels I’ve read.) So for that reason, I thought maybe I would carry on with omni regardless.

But later in the story, as the MC gains some wisdom and learns the world isn’t as it seemed, he begins to be less foolish, and the story takes him a bit more seriously. We see more often what is going on in his head, and have a little bit less of the ‘distance’ omni creates. So for the second half, I could almost swing close third, but again that isn’t suited to the first half, and I do continue to go for humour and use the omni in the second half despite times when we focus in more on Mulgrin. I could change the tone of the second half to humour and lose the more serious parts in order to help with the consistency so that the omni doesn’t slip into close third during the second half of the story, but I feel that doing this would undermine some important elements of the story.

When I reread my first draft, I didn’t find the POV at all unnatural or confusing, and the person who is currently reading it for me didn’t notice anything wrong or find any scenes jarring. But then, several people did mention it in the critique. Admittedly, there it wasn’t handled very well, and I think that in future scenes it isn’t so distracting, so maybe they wouldn’t have an issue with other scenes.

I have tried and tried to find a POV that can reconcile all the different factors and tell my story in the best way ,and I just can’t figure it out. I worry about using omniscient in the first place; though it is the voice best suited for the story, I know it is considered a bad idea, and I worry that I won’t be able to handle it well enough, or that because it’s out of style it will completely ruin my chances at getting published. But if I turn it to close third, I just don’t know how to reconcile that with the character/humour. Omni creates distance, and that is what I want, to some degree! By being a bit distant, we can laugh at Mulgrin’s foolishness, but if we are too close, then we are supposed to sympathize with him instead of laugh at him, which kind of defeats the point.

All in all, I find myself very lost. I want to continue to work on this novel and attempt to finish it by my deadline, so I really don’t want to change focus yet again in order to wait until I’m ‘more experienced’, or to read a whole lot of books that will presumably make me more knowledgeable. But I also don’t know how to deal with this POV issue.

I personally like what I wrote and the way I wrote it is fine (with editing and rewrites of course!), but I worry others won’t agree, especially publishers. I know omni is out of style, but at the same time I can think of at least a few series that are written in this POV that are still popular in school libraries, and I personally believe that kids could and would enjoy my story. I don’t know how to turn it into close third and feel it wouldn’t suit, but I’m not certain that I’m properly following omni through to the end, or that I should be attempting it with so little experience.

Is it at all possible to mix omni and close third in a way that isn’t considered taboo? Is writing in omni at all absolute suicide? Is occasional head hopping with paragraph breaks better than omni or worse? If the POV I’m using works for me, is it okay to write in it (even if it doesn’t always follow the rules), or should I change the whole thing to something more conventional? I do believe that it can work, and some of my favourite books handle it very well. My gut says to write it the way I have been instinctively, but my head worries that I shouldn’t. Or perhaps there is a compromise between what I want and what would be accepted by others?

For the most part, the POV does hover close to Mulgrin, but the distance allows for a lot of humour, and also gives us some funny and/or important insights into other characters we would otherwise miss. This is the way the story unfolded, and if I change it completely I may no longer have the story I set out to write, in which case I’m not sure I would still want to write it. :S

I’ve been mulling over this for almost a week now and haven’t come to any conclusions. Any kind of feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

I tried reading over different segments of my story and identifying what POV it is and if it was consistent. Mostly, it seems omniscient, but at times I think (by some of the definitions) it would be close third. Regardless, all accounts said that omniscient (while once popular) is very out of style, is hard to write, and would be difficult to get published.

Third Person Omniscient tends to be an inclusive POV use - you can include "close third" elements. In effect, omniscient is like a film camera, which can zoom in and out of the narrative. So it can arguably spend a lot of time close - but it remains detached as required.

An arguable reason for it being less popular in genre publishing is because omni can leave a reader remote from the characters and events. Film and TV already delivers us camera angles, so omni doesn't really play to the strengths of the novel as a media format, especially for serious stories.

Third Person Limited/Close is exclusive - individual chapters for individual characters.

Because the feel of my story is something based on a lot of the older books I love, it falls into the same omniscient style that was popular at that time.

You've got to remember that modern book publishing is buying according to modern market needs. Arguably many classic books would have been written in a completely different way if they were written for publishing nowadays.

Of course, none of this precludes that omniscient isn't a valid use of POV. It is, and it is used in recent fantasy (Django Wexler's Thousand Names I think is a successful recent example - though I've only read the opening sample chapter, which is clearly omni).

middle grade(ish) fantasy

What would help if you were able to identify recent works that might be placed near your story on bookshelves, and look at what they're doing and using. Seek other examples of omni that are close to your own. That way you can get an idea of the context of your market position - readers of x might like my y sort of thing. See how they use omni and for what effect.

You've also mentioned comedy, and there is an argument that writers can use omni to greater comedic effect than any other POV. So especially take note of similar books to justify your choice.

Either way, ask yourself what the strengths and weaknesses are of using the particular POV choice you've made. Do that so you know where you may need to shore up the story. And so long as others are doing similar in the modern publishing market, I wouldn't sweat too much over it. Just make an effort to understand the whys and wherefores of what you're doing, if you can. If nothing else, that should help re-assure you a little.

I may be rambling now, so I'll stop. :)

There's the birdseye lowdown from Brian.
Stop thinking about it. I never, ever 'think' about POV, it is a minor issue. It really is. No, it is.
I dunno... stay with one pov and write the story into that. POV is no excuse for anything. Many successful writers do not stop to think about POV unless there's a specific issue. In the old writing textbooks it gets a couple of paragraphs. I'm going to pull one out and list the signifigant things that are applicable to the writing of any story, of which POV is only one.
Once you have selected a POV, work from there as a base. Really, the POV should occur to you naturally, as befits or suits the story. Then forget about it if possible. )

Last edited:
I am definitely not one of the technically knowledgeable folks on here and I think I'm probably one of the least experienced, but it sounds to me as if your story will be excellent written in omniscient with touches of close 3rd. I have been wondering recently if we read differently as writers, more technically critical.

My advice is to finish the story in the way you are most comfortable and natural with, Polish it like mad, rewrite as necessary, get a selection of non-writers to read it and only when you have it as good as you can run it past us lot again.

I have a feeling that if you write with passion (and the story sounds wonderful to me), and write correctly (grammar, spelling, formatting), the old fashioned style will become a positive instead of a negative. But you must make sure it is correct in every other way and as correct as you can manage within omniscient (some sort of break or action between consecutive close third POVs): any irritating slips will alienate the reader/agent/publisher.

And now I'm ranting. Sorry. :D

Rant on Kerry! Flow, continuity, style, voice, tone, ten other things, POV.
Realistically... if you aren't vastly experienced, stick with a standard form for a few years.

Magyk by Angie Sage is a middle grade omniscient pov with 3rd person sections. We jump between heads a lot (even into the family dog's head) but there is a strong narator voice too. You might find it useful to read? I'm reading it at the moment, but don't really like the pov as I don't feel very connected to any of the characters. But it does sound like this pov would work best for your story as you see it at the moment.

I will second Brian on his entire statement and just add one piece of advice because based on the length of your post I know you are doing this and unfortunately I think ALL writers do this to some extent before they become more comfortable with themselves and their own style. You are in ANALYSIS PARALYSIS!

As a rule try not to understand more than 70% of all the details ever, in anything, not just writing. Two reasons: if you try to gather more than 70% of the details you inevitably pattern yourself after one thing or another and lose much of your creativity - the final 30% should be all you! Also, if you look into more than 70% of the details of anything you will see holes and inconsistencies that will confuse you as to the correct action to take. It's like a general who needs to figure out the strategy of battle. If he gathers too much intelligence (I know this sounds crazy, but its 100% true) he will become too rigid, fearful, second-guessing, timid, nervous, unsure, and overall less capable to lead his men.

If you gather just enough details (40%-70% of available information) to understand the situation, in your case the publishers likes/dislikes and current children novels that are funny and how they are written, then you will in fact have greater confidence. You will feel more inspiration, be more creative, subconsciously have more ideas and even understand the topic you are confused on innately better than if you actually tried to gain all the details. It's a strange truth, but this is truth nonetheless.

So if you already have 40% to 70% of the available details and it sounds like you do, then stop thinking about it and write. You are most likely already way past 70% which will make "just write" seem irresponsible or impractical, but that is simply due to being overly detailed at this point. Let some of the details go, focus on just the 40%-70% that seem to be most important and then just write, edit, polish like mad, and have confidence that's your best work!

If you doubt this principle read up on it in any success/self-help book and you will see the greatest achievers often never had the whole story, much like how great writers may just have a premise in their minds rather than every chapter and plot twist written out, before they begin. They allowed their own innate talents and personality guide them the rest of the way and it always works out better that way.

Just a quick address towards a concern of an omni-narrator/close third person:
“With much stumbling on Mulgrin’s part and several insults from Proto-Ganzit—who was having more fun than he had had in years—
Surely if you wanted to move to close third you could swap that to '-who made it abundantly clear to Mulgrin that he was having more fun than he had had in years-' or words to that effect?

I think POV along with tense confusion are my personal issues so I can hugely relate to this issue.

I am definitely not one of the technically knowledgeable folks on here and I think I'm probably one of the least experienced, but it sounds to me as if your story will be excellent written in omniscient with touches of close 3rd. I have been wondering recently if we read differently as writers, more technically critical.

My advice is to finish the story in the way you are most comfortable and natural with, Polish it like mad, rewrite as necessary, get a selection of non-writers to read it and only when you have it as good as you can run it past us lot again.

I have a feeling that if you write with passion (and the story sounds wonderful to me), and write correctly (grammar, spelling, formatting), the old fashioned style will become a positive instead of a negative. But you must make sure it is correct in every other way and as correct as you can manage within omniscient (some sort of break or action between consecutive close third POVs): any irritating slips will alienate the reader/agent/publisher.

And now I'm ranting. Sorry. :D

^ Also this is so spot on!

Analysis Paralysis is a fact. Write, make mistakes, learn, absorb the information and stop thinking about multiple terms for a single aspect of writing.

Thank you for all the feedback!

Third Person Omniscient tends to be an inclusive POV use - you can include "close third" elements. In effect, omniscient is like a film camera, which can zoom in and out of the narrative. So it can arguably spend a lot of time close - but it remains detached as required.

Have the things I've read make it sound this way, and others make it sound like that is a big no no. But instinctively I feel that it is okay, and I would like to think that it can be treated like that!

You've also mentioned comedy, and there is an argument that writers can use omni to greater comedic effect than any other POV. So especially take note of similar books to justify your choice.

I agree. That is why I brought up Gordan Korman's book, as I feel this one captures a similar voice and is geared towards humour. (And is also very successful and well received by the target age group.) I guess the main difference is that mine does gear towards thirds for longer stints than this book does, but it is similar.

Either way, ask yourself what the strengths and weaknesses are of using the particular POV choice you've made. Do that so you know where you may need to shore up the story. And so long as others are doing similar in the modern publishing market, I wouldn't sweat too much over it. Just make an effort to understand the whys and wherefores of what you're doing, if you can. If nothing else, that should help re-assure you a little.

Well, I've been asking myself those questions which is why I ended up here. Because I don't really know. Mostly, I want to just wing it and write what i'm writing, but I don't want to then bring it to betas and find out I've done such a horrible misuse of POV that the story is barely salvageable! :S

I may be rambling now, so I'll stop. :)

Looking at the size of my original post, I think that it's safe to say rambling is permitted here!

Stop thinking about it. I never, ever 'think' about POV, it is a minor issue. It really is. No, it is.

Once you have selected a POV, work from there as a base. Really, the POV should occur to you naturally, as befits or suits the story. Then forget about it if possible. )

The reckless side of me agrees 100% (and yes, I do actually have a reckless side despite what it appears!!), but considering POV was flagged in the critiques and most people seem to think it is a big deal, I worry that I'm not caring enough. And now that I'm on a second draft, this would be the time to fix and/or change my POV. Also, since I feel quite certain I probably haven't been sticking to one POV and/or haven't been using it correctly, I'm not sure i'm really been using is as a base? But then, I guess that is exactly me writing it as it occurs to me naturally!

Well Kerry, that is encouraging to say the least! I still can't help but worry that once I get everything polished and perfect, I'll bring it here just to have everyone tell me I've done it horrible wrong and must dismantle the whole thing and change it. But then, I suppose if I love it and the non-writing people I have read it don't see anything wrong with the POV and enjoy it, then maybe that's what matters?

Realistically... if you aren't vastly experienced, stick with a standard form for a few years.

I'm not vastly experienced. But I have worked on a project that is in standard form for 5-6 years... does that count? :D

Magyk by Angie Sage is a middle grade omniscient pov with 3rd person sections. We jump between heads a lot (even into the family dog's head) but there is a strong narator voice too. You might find it useful to read? I'm reading it at the moment, but don't really like the pov as I don't feel very connected to any of the characters. But it does sound like this pov would work best for your story as you see it at the moment.

Thanks SleepyDormouse. I checked out the first many pages of it online. Popular opinion seems to be that this POV prevents people from connecting to the characters, but perhaps with the increase of close third as the MC matures the reader will grow into that character. And because it leans towards humour that connection might be a bit less important.

I will second Brian on his entire statement and just add one piece of advice because based on the length of your post I know you are doing this and unfortunately I think ALL writers do this to some extent before they become more comfortable with themselves and their own style. You are in ANALYSIS PARALYSIS!

:eek: Me? :whistle:

As a rule try not to understand more than 70% of all the details ever, in anything, not just writing. Two reasons: if you try to gather more than 70% of the details you inevitably pattern yourself after one thing or another and lose much of your creativity - the final 30% should be all you! Also, if you look into more than 70% of the details of anything you will see holes and inconsistencies that will confuse you as to the correct action to take.

Well I definately felt more confused after doing research than before!

If you gather just enough details (40%-70% of available information) to understand the situation, in your case the publishers likes/dislikes and current children novels that are funny and how they are written, then you will in fact have greater confidence. You will feel more inspiration, be more creative, subconsciously have more ideas and even understand the topic you are confused on innately better than if you actually tried to gain all the details. It's a strange truth, but this is truth nonetheless.

Not sure I have really done this... to be honest I don't really like researching everything and trying to figure out the market and etc. I prefer to write what is in me to write, regardless of how popular the style/story is. :whistle:

So if you already have 40% to 70% of the available details and it sounds like you do, then stop thinking about it and write. You are most likely already way past 70% which will make "just write" seem irresponsible or impractical, but that is simply due to being overly detailed at this point. Let some of the details go, focus on just the 40%-70% that seem to be most important and then just write, edit, polish like mad, and have confidence that's your best work!

In a way "just write" does seem irresponsible, and it was what I was attempting to do before POV paranoia assaulted me! I would feel better going into draft #2 if I had a bit of a better idea on my POV, but at the same time maybe just writing the thing is the only way to figure it out...

Just a quick address towards a concern of an omni-narrator/close third person:

Surely if you wanted to move to close third you could swap that to '-who made it abundantly clear to Mulgrin that he was having more fun than he had had in years-' or words to that effect?

I think POV along with tense confusion are my personal issues so I can hugely relate to this issue.

I see what you are saying, but for me that does kind of defeat the point, as it really isn't abundantly clear. This character grumbles and complains about everything, and appears to be quite disgruntled. There really isn't much evidence he is having fun, and as Mulgrin is not very observant, he would never read between the lines and realize that this character is enjoying himself. Which for me is important parts of both their characters. So yes, I could change it to something like that, but I don't really want to!

you could also use simple transitions to move into close 3rd in a way the reader still expects you to return to omni - thus reducing confusion from head hopping. EXAMPLE: narrator is describing what's going on with Mulgrin "after much stumbling..."etc then narrator says, "Meanwhile an annoying grimace appeared on Proto-Ganzit's face, while in fact he was thinking "this bumbling fool! I haven't had as much fun in years! Oh, I better not let on or he might...etc." Slipping into 3rd in this way (not saying it was well done as I'm not experienced with omni at all) could potentially lead readers to understand what other characters are thinking in close 3rd while still knowing your narrator is leading the journey in omni all the while. It's like you narrator is "pulling back the curtain" on certain characters' thoughts as a benefit to the reader in a way. Just a thought!

you could also use simple transitions to move into close 3rd in a way the reader still expects you to return to omni - thus reducing confusion from head hopping. EXAMPLE: narrator is describing what's going on with Mulgrin "after much stumbling..."etc then narrator says, "Meanwhile an annoying grimace appeared on Proto-Ganzit's face, while in fact he was thinking "this bumbling fool! I haven't had as much fun in years! Oh, I better not let on or he might...etc." Slipping into 3rd in this way (not saying it was well done as I'm not experienced with omni at all) could potentially lead readers to understand what other characters are thinking in close 3rd while still knowing your narrator is leading the journey in omni all the while. It's like you narrator is "pulling back the curtain" on certain characters' thoughts as a benefit to the reader in a way. Just a thought!

I see what you are saying! I think that might work, but possibly more for the sections where we get close third on Mulgrin. Technically the example line isn't exactly close third with Proto-Ganzit, as it is more an observation by the omniscient narrator, but since we often move from close third and out with Mulgrin I could try to think of some recognizable trigger as a way of signalling transitions back-and-forth between omni and close third...

I agree about comedy. A detached 3rd person works well to contrast the reality (author's own voice) with the views of the character. However, Joe Abercrombie writes quite a close 3rd person, and in The First Law seems to maintain a wry, slightly detached quality at times. He uses a trick, which I'm not sure if I like or not, where he writes "I'll never do that!" he cried, or would have done had he not agreed "Yes, I'll do it," he said meekly. That's a crude approximation, but you see what I mean. But as Brian says, I wouldn't worry excessively about this. Better that you do what you're comfortable with, and do it well, instead of making an awkward job of doing what seems to be required. Not that you necessarily would, of course...

The heart wants what the heart wants; the story wants what the story wants. If it's coming to you in omniscient, has a good beat and you can dance to it, then stick to it. Just be aware of the advice in this thread and don't limit yourself to writing in only one way. Let the story decide, rather than custom or fashion.

pH

omniscient isn't bad at all. And it does work and has been done well, and is still published.

It's just not so common because is written by serious dudes who want immersion/emotional stories but omniscient like any writing is great if you can write in that way well.

Just keep it consistent, and just because its omniscient it doesn't mean you have to tell the reader everything, hold back infomation that is could be uninteresting, breaks pacing etc etc. Maybe you just have a problem with revealing too much information when such information could be discussed or discovered by the character at a later date.

Zeke started writing. Outside the wind howled. His thoughts drifted. Is that wolves or the wind?
Harriet grimaced as she watched Zeke struggle with a close third omniscient passage. He would be the death of her.
Gribbly the dog crawled in and barked for water but neither human stirred. What was wrong with these bipedal idiots?
Harriet scrubbed at the wainscotting as Zeke mulled over his laborious progress. How can I make this read like a story instead of a maze of hophead pov-switching?
In the basement, Bobby's pet mutant spider is running forth and back, back and froth.The cat watching it knows it is not edible.

Allright how about a music analogy, if you know from that. Hey, I'm going to write a song. Should it be in C, or F? Cmajor or Fminor.... hmmm.
The listener knows nothing of this, and it makes no difference what key the bloody song is in. Really, I think people just like the word 'omniscient'
a bit much. Switching to God-mode now- to write a story about teenagers doing stupid things. (Warning: Adult Content)
But that's just my point of view.

Well, it's comforting to hear that omniscient isn't the death sentence in most people's minds! I do worry about consistency (since I know it goes into close third, and I'm not sure if I'm handling the transitions 'properly') but I tend to agree with pH on the whole 'the heart wants what the heart wants and the story wants what the story wants'. So I'll try to write it the way it wants to be written, and hope that others can join me dancing to that particular beat!

Thanks for all the feedback! It's always much appreciated. And welcome to the chron Zebra Wizard! (To address your comment, I don't feel that I give out too much information, so I don't think that particular issue will be a concern for me!)

I agree with others that you're likely overthinking it.

But the biggest complaint I have about omniscient PoV is that most writers think they are writing Omniscient when really they aren't. There's a difference between writing Omniscient PoV and writing a 3rd person PoV with head hopping. The latter isn't omniscient, but many writers mistake it for such.

I haven't seen what you wrote, so I can't say which side it falls under, but how I see it, Omniscient is when the author themselves is a character in their own story. They are a character that isn't physically present in the scene, but can see everything that is happening and knows what each character is thinking/feeling. When you're writing omniscient, you're writing it from the perspective of the author character, and never from the PoV of a character physically present in the scene. If you're writing from the PoV of a character physically present in the scene and then showing the thoughts of other characters during that scene, then I'm afraid that isn't Omniscient and is guilty of head hopping.

A great example is Charles Dickens. For instance, have a look at David Copperfield or A Christmas Carol. They are both written in omniscient PoV that demonstrates how to write it properly -- the way other characters think and feel is shown from the perspective of the author, not the characters themselves. The other thing Charles Dickens does is makes it clear immediately that the narrator is a separate character from those in the scene. He did this especially well in David Copperfield which reads as a biography of the character's life written from a much later date.

Another thing to remember is that not every comment you receive on the critiques forum is correct. People can make mistakes and give bad advice, nobody's perfect. People can get a bit overenthusiastic when critiquing and see PoV problems where really it was fine.

Last edited: