Not open for further replies.

AnyaKimlin

Confuddled
Is this better?

CHAPTER ONE

“Fight! Fight! Fight!”

“Get him, King-Boy.”

“Smack him, Jack.”

Salty blood pours from my nose. The cold winter air and the chorus of our classmates fades into the ether. My only focus –causing him pain. I smack him against the rough stone cloister wall and smile at the agony on his face. But he doesn't cry out. He has too much pride for that. Inches off the ground he flails like a rag doll. My fist travels towards him --I'm going to smash him. Crap! I drop him and cover the king's jewels. Swearing will be an option when I can find my breath.

Crap! Crap! Crap! Tears stream from my eye. I'm on my back on the snow covered ground before I know how I got there, curled up in a ball to protect myself from his kicks. He thinks he's won and is celebrating. Hands held high and parading for the courtyard of schoolboys. In his arrogance he makes a fatal mistake. I reach out and grab his ankle, bringing him down to join me. Rolling over, I sit on top of him. This is where my height and weight give me an advantage.

“Go on, King-Boy.” He mouths the words and spits out blood over my school tunic.

I tug my arm. And again. But it doesn't, it won't move. Once more. The strong grip at my wrist registers and I look up. My half-brother looks down at me. When he's pissed, Soc is scary and it sucks all the adrenaline out of me. He lets go and I get off Jack. What on Litae have I done? Why? Jack accepts my offer of a hand to help to his feet. He picks our navy uniform great coats up off the ground and hands me mine.

“Sorry.” His grin is lopsided due to the split and swollen lip. “Your eye-patch.”

“Thanks.” I take it back off him and put it back on to cover the eye he damaged beyond repair in a fight last year. “And, yes, sorry.”

His arm is dangling, so I help him put his coat on over his torn tunic.

“Sorry. You two think you can kiss and make up and this will all be OK?” Soc is furious. His phone vibrates and he takes it from his pocket. “Too much to hope he wouldn't know.”

The courtyard is empty and very quiet. Two hundred boys know we are in the sh*t and not one wants to join us in it. I shrug and study my bare feet. Not sure where I left my boots but I wish I hadn't. My toes are starting to hurt and turn numb.

“Sorry, Master Lorenzo.” Jack also puts himself in the position of disgrace. Hand clasped behind his back, legs slightly apart and his head bowed. I take a quick glance and can see the pain he's in. This time I've got off far more lightly.

“The Abbot wants to see us. You've both well and truly landed me in it.” He leads the way along the covered cloisters. Past plain wooden door, after plan wooden door. Behind each one is a classroom.

The ground is cold here but at least there's no snow. Jack moves closer and whispers, “Do you need help? You're limping.”

“No.” I hadn't even noticed.

My phone vibrates and I take it out. I hate you. B. My wife isn't about to forgive me for this morning's stupidity. I'm sorry. Call me. A. She probably won't respond but I can hope.

“Is that why the queen threw her fan at me this morning? I'm lucky I'm not missing bits.”

Distracted, I stare at the screen. “If she'd wanted to take bits off you'd be missing them. She never misses.” As I predicted, there is no response, but I can't seem to stop looking and hoping.

“What did you do to her?”

“Stay out of it.” There are times I hate my life. Nothing is ever private. If I pick my nose it makes front page news. “This is between Bea and me.”

“I'd love to stay out of it. But you're both so bad tempered... I can't.”

I drop the phone – it smashes on the ground – so I can grab him by the lapels of his coat and smack him back up against the wall. He looks up at me, straight in the eye and showing no fear. There are times I want to be my grandfather and just run people through with my sword when they annoy me. “I warned you to leave me alone. Twice.”

“Scholars!”

I'm dragged off him by Soc. “Scholar Sorenson you get up to The Abbot's office. Tell him I will be with him as soon as I've finished calming His Majesty down.”

Jack doesn't need to be told twice and takes off down the cloisters.

“No running.”

He slows down until he reaches the door to The Abbot's office and he goes through it.

“Sit down.” Soc points at a bench against the back wall.

“Leave me alone.”

“I'd love to, but whilst you're in school it's my job to keep you in line.” He was assigned as my schoolmaster because no one else wanted the job. “Now sit down.” This time he doesn't give me any option and does what nobody else would dare do, and pushes me onto the bench. I'm guessing he sits on the arm of the bench so he doesn't lose the height advantage. “What's eating you?”

“Nothing.”

“I believe you.”

“Sarcasm doesn't suit you.” I go to take my phone out to see if Bea has responded and remember what happened. “sh*t.” It's in pieces on the floor of the cloisters. “Can I go get my phone?”

“No. Not until you tell me what on Litae is going on?” He folds his arms and fixes me with the stare that is so like dad's. It's hard to believe they share no DNA. They're both dark and elegant, tall without being monstrous. I now know I come from a long like of huge blond kings but for most of my life I've wondered how I fitted into the Covesea Island royal family.

“I can't Soc. I just can't.” I bury my head in my hands and lean forward. “Please, don't make me say what I did.”

The comforting way he's rubbing my back won't last once I tell him what I said to Bea. He'll start yelling at me and telling me what a rubbish person I am. And he'd be right. What I need is to go home and see Bea – but I'm trapped here in school until just after three. Inside my soul is a flutter but I shove it aside and ignore the feeling I can escape.

“Tell me, Angus.”

“No. I said leave me alone.” I stand up, knocking his hand aside as I do. “I just want to be left alone. Why can't you all do that?”

“Because you decided to have a scrap with Jack in front of everyone and now the Abbot wants to tear us all to shreds. You have well and truly dragged me into this, Angus.” He touches my shoulder. “And I'm your brother. I'm here for you.”

“No you're not. When was the last time I saw you at the palace? When was the last time you did anything with me outside of school?” His touch is unwelcome and I brush his hand aside. When I became king he promised to help me deal with it but he's swanned off to his nice new life in a cottage with his boyfriend and wants nothing more to do with me. I'm heading out of the cloisters into the courtyard.

As he follows me he shouts, “You know I hate the palace – when was the last time you came to visit me in my home? Or is it not good enough for you?”

I turn back to face him. “I'll swap. Bea, Daisy and I will live in your place and you can have the palace.” Neither of us wanted to be king. He lucked out when a DNA test proved he wasn't dad's son. “Then I can finish school, go to university and get a job with the space program instead of being King.”

I then go on to turn him into Mayhem (Great White Falcon) and then have him shot.

Last edited:
interesting piece::
Swearing will be an option when I can find my breath
is that line an accidental repeat or is it there for emphasis. If emphasis then it went right past me quite emphatically.

Much better.

Last edited:
interesting piece::
Swearing will be an option when I can find my breath
is that line an accidental repeat or is it there for emphasis. If emphasis then it went right past me quite emphatically.

No sorry - the result of cutting and pasting it in two lots due to my mouse failing me. I'll remove it.

I don't like the dropping the phone to punch his friend part. For me it doesn't click. You see, a phone is precious to teenagers. They tie together their entire lives with them.

I see kids handling their phones with the easy familiarity of old west gunslingers. Rolling them over their hands to flip them and other tricks. But the first trick they perfect is their phone draw and holster. They can pull that thing out in a heart beat, and reholster it just as quickly and carefully.

So why would he drop it to take a swing at another boy? If he is that enraged its more likely he would hit the other boy with the phone or throw it, then drop it. But I think what works a little better is the other boy grabbing at him and causing Angus to drop the phone and it smashes. Then that enrages Angus to the point where the fight is on again.

Yes, but it presents an opportunity to develope the conflicts between the three characters as well. Aren't you trying to enforce his sense of isolation here? I don't see this scene as simply being an illustration of Angus having a bad temper.

If you are building up a series of events to suggest "worst day ever" to a teen audience, being forcefully separated from your phone due to someone else's interference and general stupidity would garner instant commiseration from your intended audience and thereby increase Angus's likability factor.

Also it presents an opportunity for reconciliation between Angus and his brother, should his brother gift him with another phone. It could even lead into a little heart to heart where a tiny portion of Angus's defenses are breached, should you desire that these two are in moderately better terms before the next disaster presents itself.

Actually, the complete opposite in a lot of ways. Angus' main drive in life is privacy and to have time to himself. It is part of why he carries several spare phones, he smashes them/breaks them so his guards can't track him. He pushes Soc away because he knows he isn't really going anywhere. The same with Jack. A major fight doesn't get in the way of their relationship.

All I need to do to repair things with Soc is make things worse for Angus. He then needs Soc. The disaster after the next one does that. The main conflict is in the text to his wife. He is taking that conflict out on the others.

Last edited:
Does this help with the phones?

“Sarcasm doesn't suit you.” I go to see if Bea has responded to my text and remember that the phone's in pieces on the floor of the cloisters -- the fourth one I've broken this month. “Can I go get my phone?”

Does this help with the phones?

“Sarcasm doesn't suit you.” I go to see if Bea has responded to my text and remember that the phone's in pieces on the floor of the cloisters -- the fourth one I've broken this month. “Can I go get my phone?”
Poor Angus. Don't you just want to steal him away and keep him safe sometimes? Yes, it helps indeed.

Starting with an immediate fight scene was a good idea but it didn't feel real for me. Too much description for an action scene or not enough clarity of actions, I can't make up my mind which is needed more and/or less - very un-helpful of me and good luck with that too.

After that the setting wasn't clear enough for me and when Soc joins in all the rest of the boys vanish, which was too sudden I felt. From there you have in essence a conversation carrying information and it feels like it too, a little confused, un-natural and overly long because you're trying to pass on background information.

“I'd love to, but whilst you're in school it's my job to keep you in line.” He was assigned as my schoolmaster because no one else wanted the job. - Dialogue carrying information which was repeated immediately after. This additional information within dialogue and in the narrative too slowed the whole section down for me and was a distraction from the main character development. King or otherwise, he is still a boy with confused emotions and these need to be the main focus and let the world building follow at a more sedate pace.

All the questions regarding Bea and Daisy were completely unanswered and I don’t know if this was the cause of the fight or not. Too much was given to me too soon and I’m not getting a clear picture of either the character of the world they live in, or so I think.

Starting with an immediate fight scene was a good idea but it didn't feel real for me. Too much description for an action scene or not enough clarity of actions, I can't make up my mind which is needed more and/or less - very un-helpful of me and good luck with that too.

I haven't been ignoring your crit! I have been very grateful for it and have worked on the first chapter based on it. My laptop power cable went and without it I was having trouble getting all round the site. I'm going to put up another one. In order to do everything I think I need pull back the story to an earlier moment.

Last edited:
Anya, I'm a married man, so I'm used very used to not being listen to! My thoughts only, so don't change too much in case I'm not on the money. However, I look forward to your repost.

Okay, just seen this one - was on hols when you posted. This is your start, not the one where he's phone-obsessed and whiny. There are a few confusing pronouns you'll catch in the edit but Angus is active, your (imho) strongest character is in it (your Lichio, if you like, only better damn you) and the scene is set.

Stop mucking with it. This is quick, it's active, it builds on the feel of Mayhem. Go forth and finish it. (And time permitting, I'd be happy to beta at least some of it. Provided you promise Soc is in it....)

Ps I agree with Bowler that you overegg some of it - again, you'll catch it in the edit.

Either can be the start - this is a day later. I've tried 3 starts. And yes Soc gets a much bigger role in it as he steps into The Abbot's shoes as elderly mentor (I know he isn't 30 yet).

The phone section is the start of the day that leads to the fight. (Soc steps in and stops it) Maybe I could combine them somehow.

My 12 year old likes the other one better which is swaying me more than others as she's a not quite YA (but reading YA).

Status
Not open for further replies.