Could Star Wars VII do $1 Billion in the first weekend?

Predict Star Wars Episode VII Opening Weekend

• 500-699 Million

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • 700-899 Million

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • 900 Million

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 Billion

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Cli-Fi

John J. Falco
This estimate is based solely on Jurassic World's amazing triumph at the box office this weekend. Since Jurassic World was only laughably projected to make $150 million. Star Wars is already aiming for $500 Million. They know they are bigger than Avengers, so needless to say. It has to be bigger than the measly Jurassic Park franchise right?? Right??

So I thought I'd make a poll to see what Chroners thought, after Jurassic World has done so well.

I doubt it can do a billion but it has to do more than anything else.

I'm having trouble reading your poll. Does 500-600 mean literally that or "500s-600s/500-699"? Otherwise, there's a gap between 600 and 700 and similar weirdness with the single numbers. So I'm guessing 500s-600s and 600s would be my guess (652 ;)). But 700s-800s is certainly possible. Wouldn't rule out more but... geez. That'd be something.

I doubt it can do a billion but it has to do more than anything else.

I'm having trouble reading your poll. Does 500-600 mean literally that or "500s-600s/500-699"? Otherwise, there's a gap between 600 and 700 and similar weirdness with the single numbers. So I'm guessing 500s-600s and 600s would be my guess (652 ;)). But 700s-800s is certainly possible. Wouldn't rule out more but... geez. That'd be something.

Yeah I guess I should have put the s's in there. Opps. Thanks. I'm guessing $850+

It'll do well, that's for sure. A billion $ in a weekend is pretty big, though. I went with the 500 to 699 Billion $ mark.

Are you talking world wide box office? I would imagine it depends on the release schedule.

I voted for $700 million plus, and I think a billion dollars is possible. ---- This is the reason that I was sure that there would eventually be a Star Wars VII, VIII, and IX. ---- I may not live to see it, but I would also bet on a Star Wars X.

Another thing to consider is how large the world has gotten due to interconnectivity since the originals came out. It's much easier now for non-Americans to access these films in countries where they might not have had access before. For instance, China is just seeing the original series right now! No doubt, that will play well for the sequels next year. Since it's fresher in the chinese minds.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jun/17/star-wars-premieres-in-china-four-decades-late

This might also explain some JW numbers.

It could end up being the all time box office champ.