When do you do your most creative writing?

Vaz

We're in the pipe, five by five.
So I would just like to discuss when and where folks on here consider they do there best work.

In general, this could be a certain place, time of day/night or after a certain activity for example exercise or something along those lines...

For me personally its always after exercise, and a glorious ice bath with some fantastic Hans Zimmer playing on the ol' MP3 player late at night of course :)

So folks. When do you do your best work?

Vaz - :D

Early morning when the air is crisp, the sunrise is making the sky pink and red and everyone else in London is asleep, or at least it feels like that to me.

Reactions: Vaz
Anywhere/time I can get free to write!

In a morning 4 am is best for me. Before the clutter of demands start happening and the brain has to start organising pack lunches, house cleaning, shopping trips and mundanity. I can write any old time but it takes so much more effort to zone out of the ....oh...shiny...

Strangely enough when I feel like it and when I can (Ki9s and life demands get in the way - in the best possible way). If I'm quiet at work I get some done.

I work throughout the day in my head pretty well. Probably more than I do actually writing. I didn't know I was more of a planner than discovery writer until recently.
But when actully writing, morning is best for me as well. On a day off with nothing else to do 9-12 is usually my full days quota:)

As a kid, I always did my best drawing when I was doodling on the margins of a piece of schoolwork, especially if there was some other thing I was supposed to be doing at the time.

As an adult, I'm finding the best times to write seem to be similar and to fall into two major categories:

1.) Early mornings are when I do the bulk of my writing. Between 6am and 9am when I have to get ready for work. My mind is relatively fresh and unsullied. I'm usially sitting either on my back porch (ideally), or at my desk in my room.

2.) I keep all my writing projects online, so what's happened is that I do most of my writing on my phone. This means I also get a decent amount of work done in the "margins" of my day- on the train, during lunch breaks, or at the bar- times when I shoukd probably be doing something else.

Reactions: Vaz
No nightowls? :D

I always, without fail, do my best writing at night. There's something about the darkness that allows me to block out all external distractions and really immerse myself in what I'm doing. Things just seem to flow much easier.

This has been one of the hardest parts about getting a 'real' job. I actually have to get up in the mornings now, so no more 4am inspiration sessions for me :(

I can't really get into a groove unless I'm at the keyboard for at least 90 minutes uninterrupted. And the only time I have consistently available when I can do that is 5 to 6:30 AM. Head phones on, some music, no distractions.