Brief glossary/dictionary of terms at the start of book two?

AnyaKimlin

Confuddled
Would this be something you object to?

It would only be two or three items. Basically Pre-Mortal, Mortal, Ante-Mortal and Native. Also maybe a bit about the races as they're not standard.

It's just I could do with the reader knowing what Soc is in the first chapter without having to give a full explanation.

I'd prefer the author wove it into the narrative or included it upfront or in back. I'd find it very odd to come across it in the middle of the book.

For instance, if it's just a few terms, a little "author's note" (like some authors give for quick pronunciation guides) at the front that says, "In book two, you will encounter the following terms..." or something would do.

I don't approve of them, but maybe Vance-ian footnotes would work if none of the above sounds right?

Like others, I'd weave it into the narrative. As a reader, I wouldn't take it in anyway -- I'd skim it at best (like I usually do with acknowledgements, quotes and other introductory material) and skip to the story.

A glossary is something that is done by several authors I know of --- for instance: GRRM and Ian Irvine --- but it's usually a reference at the back of the book. If I saw such a thing at the front of the book I'd honestly skip it. People wouldn't truly understand it until they see it in action, so I'm with the rest in saying fit it into the narrative.

Last edited:
I'd prefer the author wove it into the narrative or included it upfront or in back. I'd find it very odd to come across it in the middle of the book.
The title did say at the start of the book.

If it's that basic, I think you could get it into the narrative. :)

I kind of need to explain Soc in the first chapter. After six years of writing I feel confident in saying he is not a usual character - I might get it in but I'm not seeing a way that isn't quite frankly an infodump.

Weaving it into a first person present tense narrative when Angus is as naive as he is in the first book was easy. It's harder now he isn't. Especially as the what Soc is isn't the focus of the story.

skip to the story.

If I saw such a thing at the front of the book I'd honestly skip it.

But if you were aware it was there and needed to understand the planet's place in the universe and the nature of the races would you go back to it?

I was actually wondering about a map with explanation of the races and their place on the planet.

The title did say at the start of the book.

Oh, you were saying volume two. Ambiguity of "book." I thought you meant "book two" like a single volume divided into "books" and you were going to stick it in the start of the "book" which would be in the middle of the volume.

So, yeah, woven in would be best, footnotes are still a possibility but, no, I wouldn't have a problem with a quick note at the front of the book/volume. Basically, what Ray says - seems like, with so many series, there would be more "in our last episode" sections like magazine serials have, especially as magazine serials come out monthly and book series come out annually at best.

Neal Asher achieves this sort of thing with little mini info dumps at the start of each chapter. They are often presented as being quotes taken from history (or similar) books about the world in question. As they are short, I personally find they work very well at drip feeding background info. Also if, as I'm guessing, this is info that will be known by someone who has read the first book, it is easy for such people to skip without being annoyed by the repetition.

Also if, as I'm guessing, this is info that will be known by someone who has read the first book, it is easy for such people to skip without being annoyed by the repetition.
A skipable "What happened before"

That's what I want. Basically if I put it in all beta readers complain it reads like a infodump/unnecessary information or something he wouldn't be thinking of at that moment.

If I take it out then those who haven't read it before want to know what it means.

I'm wondering if maybe brief bits of poetry (like two or three lines)

Apart from a few bits of world building the story is standalone.

Last edited:
They are often presented as being quotes taken from history (or similar) books about the world in question.
The Encyclopaedia Galactica idea. I think also Asimov and Frank Herbert (Dune, I think a History by Princess Someone-or-other) has it. I'd like to, but my access to Encyclopaedia Galactica is down. I forgot to renew the sub. I know someone that cunningly managed to find suitable Shakespeare quotes to explain stuff in his SF Space Opera. Oddly all from Macbeth.

Hey Anya,

I wouldn't complain or object about such a thing, but to be frank I skip 99.9% of things like this. It would be a little unusual to find it at the start of the book, but then as I would just find the start of chapter 1 and begin, ignoring it, so why not?

It would be a problem I think if I found that I had to stop reading half-way through to look up terms - as others said I'd prefer to pick up all the meaning from your main text alone.

But then even magazine articles irritates me when they have 'boxes' of a small sub-story that the main story refers to - especially when it's over the page or something. Breaks my thread of reading in the main article.

I'm definitely getting grumpier as I get older.

I think to be honest you'd only have to stop once in the early stages of the first chapter. And you wouldn't need to stop as such but you might have a head scratch moment.

It's this I want to get rid of:

Soc is my sanctuary. Kind of the mortal, except he just looks mortal, version of a wardrobe but he's less wooden and smells better. I don't really want him to go anywhere but I don't want him thinking I need him either.

I think to be honest you'd only have to stop once in the early stages of the first chapter. And you wouldn't need to stop as such but you might have a head scratch moment.

It's this I want to get rid of:

Soc is my sanctuary. Kind of the mortal, except he just looks mortal, version of a wardrobe but he's less wooden and smells better. I don't really want him to go anywhere but I don't want him thinking I need him either.

Why do you want to get rid of that? It's fine, in the character voice. I wouldn't blink at that. Honestly, I think you're overthinking it. (Assume everyone has read book one I was told....)

Why do you want to get rid of that? It's fine, in the character voice. I wouldn't blink at that. Honestly, I think you're overthinking it. (Assume everyone has read book one I was told....)

I did -- it backfired with chapter one with the beta readers that hadn't read book one. They didn't get why Angus might be overwhelmed (not sure why an 18 year old with exams, a wife and a country to won wouldn't be...)

I did -- it backfired with chapter one with the beta readers that hadn't read book one. They didn't get why Angus might be overwhelmed (not sure why an 18 year old with exams, a wife and a country to won wouldn't be...)

But don't worry about the betas who haven't read book one. You can't cater for that. Just keep going with the story and seek betas who have read book one when you can (you'll want a break between oublishing each, yes?)

But don't worry about the betas who haven't read book one. You can't cater for that. Just keep going with the story and seek betas who have read book one when you can (you'll want a break between oublishing each, yes?)

The betas who have read it have no problem with the scene.

My plan was to publish Mayhem and Evil Root together. And have the third ready to go within a few months.

Would this be something you object to?

It would only be two or three items. Basically Pre-Mortal, Mortal, Ante-Mortal and Native. Also maybe a bit about the races as they're not standard.

It's just I could do with the reader knowing what Soc is in the first chapter without having to give a full explanation.
Good point. I would like to know if it works, did the same myself in the back of the first book.