Inish Carraig - incoming!

It based in US so if you want a small print run you pay US to UK postage whereas LS prints in UK, US and Australia.

It based in US so if you want a small print run you pay US to UK postage whereas LS prints in UK, US and Australia.

How does US to UK postage compare to UK to UK postage?

Simply that some US-based Amazon sellers seem able to post a book to the UK much cheaper than I could within the UK. It's £2.80 for me to send a small parcel - most US distributors seem to be able to at least match that.

That's weird -- after a bit of googling, it seems Createspace does print in the UK, but not author copies, which have to be sent from the US. How crap.

(Though I've just read of someone temporarily dropping the .co.uk price in the middle of the night and buying them through the normal sales method.)

UK to Ireland is twice Germany to Ireland.
Both UK and Irish P.O. still quote a book rate, but in olden days it was a discount rate, now it's purely their regular (expensive) parcel rate.
Amazon seems to have special arrangements to cheaply post to Ireland from USA at least.

The day I understand the inner workings of Amazon (Createspace) I will be very rich!

That's the sort of thing I just need to think about. Ideally, I'd like to do a small print run because I'm at a con in Belfast in Sept which should sell a few, but it depends on cost. If not, I'll look into print on demand.

Any recs for print on demand services? And how do I set it up - through Amazon or separately?
I produced Battleframe via Createspace.com (an Amazon company) and they did an outstanding job. I built my own Word templates and selected the typeface etc and the result turned out really well. Just give me a call on skype if you want to discuss the details Jo. Happy to share!

I produced Battleframe via Createspace.com (an Amazon company) and they did an outstanding job. I built my own Word templates and selected the typeface etc and the result turned out really well. Just give me a call on skype if you want to discuss the details Jo. Happy to share!

Thank you. If I get stuck, I shall squeal. Loudly. :)

I wouldn't recommend Lulu. The quality of the physical book was not quite up there with the books Gary sent me a while ago (were those LS?), and the cost of the books POD to consumers appears to be significantly higher than CreateSpace.

Purely going on physical quality of product (from the examples I have), I'd go with CS over LS. The cover card stock is slightly thicker (and you can have matt) and the ink on the paper isn't shiny. They also offer an off-white paper option, although (again, on the example I have) it's very off-white.

Hmm, I have a Lulu copy of Sir Edric's Temple and it seems alright. Mind you, sooner or later I'll have the second version and I'll be able to compare the two :)

Well if there is a some form of hard copy, you can put me down for one:) My iPad doesn't smell as nice!

So, a cheeky post. I'm wondering if anyone would like a sneak preview. I have the uncorrected proof ready to go out in pdf format (or word) and wondered if anyone wanted an ARC. To be clear, there is no expectation of a review on the back of it, although it would be great if anyone felt able to do so. I'm hoping to send out about four or five - if interested pop it in the thread here, or pm.

Cheers!
Jo