What Classic Who would you "reboot" for the new series?

Caledfwlch

I am not a Geek, I am a Level 22 Warrior!
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Principality of Wales
As it says on the tin!

New Who has rebooted a couple of the old Virgin NA Books from the 90's, it would be interesting, if perhaps a little heretical to reboot a classic story or two also.

I think my choices would be one of the following:

10th Planet - still set in 1986. We get a lot of Victorian era and further beyond set stories, but we don't get so much set in more recent history - loved the "ghost" hunter story set in the 70's and of course, the return of the Ice Warriors on an early 80's Soviet Submarine. Be interesting to see 10th Planet redone. Costume wise, I suppose we couldn't build a new Cyber one just for 1 episode, but we could modify the current - I would remove the "gloves" giving the bare hands of the original outfit, and replace the faceplate with some sort of cloth mask, just try and make the current costume look less advanced with little tricks and techniques. Whilst the latest evolution of the Cybermen on screen are back to the classic line, ie human bodies enclosed in armour, with various bits replaced by mechanics, and a descent from Mondas, rather than the brain in a machine daftness from a parallel dimension of the RTD era. Though there were hints that he reverse engineered and altered conversion chambers from Troughton story, The Invasion. It would be nice for new viewers to get an idea of the original evolution of the Cybermen. A modern reboot of 10th could go into the back story more.

I would actually prefer a reboot of the Invasion, but many of the ideas have already been borrowed in New Who, and the alternate origin, a mad billionaire - John Lumic vs Invasions Tobias Vaughn, and technology being altered to convert humanity en masse - Lumic's mobile phone app's and blue tooth dongles verses Vaughn's transistor radios and so on.

Planet of the Spiders might make an interesting one - the themes of a cult, and an undercover UNIT agent going native, a story on the modern real world narratives of extremisim, radicalisation and the war against terror could be mixed up nicely.

Remembrance of the Daleks. Of course has the added bonus of being set in 1963 and with UNIT's forerunner, the RAF Regiment's "Intrusion Counter Measures Group" - the original script was a lot bigger, with a lot more fighting and battles between the Dalek factions on the streets of London, including Dalek battle Platforms floating around engaging enemy forces. And of course, it's themes on racism, and indeed genetic modification as relevent, if not more in 2015 than in 1989.

But one that really stands out for me as a story that would benefit from modern production values, and the troubles we are suffering right now, with politics, especially in the UK, is The Happyness Patrol!

If I were to expand the idea of rebooting to all the various media forms that exist for Doctor Who, then my absolute fave would be the Big Finish Cyberman Origin audio, Spare parts. It is just fantastic.

Count me in for an adaptation of Spare Parts. Unfortunately, RTD used that material as groundwork for the Cybusmen. I am a big Cyberman fan, but they have become far too loud and far-future for their own good. Dark Water was a move in the right direction though.

I only saw The Happiness Patrol a while back but it is still incredibly relevant. It is also one of my favorites, but I'd like a return to some of the bigger event classics: they just don't seem to make anything with the gravitas of The Dalek Invasion of Earth anymore.

Also, I love your avatar of the dwarf owl! :D

Count me in for an adaptation of Spare Parts. Unfortunately, RTD used that material as groundwork for the Cybusmen. I am a big Cyberman fan, but they have become far too loud and far-future for their own good. Dark Water was a move in the right direction though.

I only saw The Happiness Patrol a while back but it is still incredibly relevant. It is also one of my favorites, but I'd like a return to some of the bigger event classics: they just don't seem to make anything with the gravitas of The Dalek Invasion of Earth anymore.

Also, I love your avatar of the dwarf owl! :D

RTD may have grabbed one or two little bits, but I dont think anyone would watch a 2 part adaption of Spare Parts and think "bah, done before" other than the concept of a "genesis story" they dont share much. Imagine how horrificly chilling the Cyber Horses, the Police use on Mondas would look. It would be great seeing people walking around with cyberman "bits" but still clearly human with emotions.

If you do some youtube searching there is a 5 min "fan" film set during the Dalek Invasion of Earth, complete with movie style fire extinguisher "blasters" It was done for one of the big stage plays a few years ago, a "cutscene" to be projected for the audience.

And you must watch Dr Who Anime, I love this guys take on the Cybermen, taking the 80's "neomorph" design and turning them into kick ass and a lot more "real" feeling!
is the link

And look up Matt Savage's redesign for the cybermen, it kicks the backside of all new series designs! iirc Matt was the main guy to design the new Daleks, back in series 1 of new who.

RTD may have grabbed one or two little bits, but I dont think anyone would watch a 2 part adaption of Spare Parts and think "bah, done before" other than the concept of a "genesis story" they dont share much. Imagine how horrificly chilling the Cyber Horses, the Police use on Mondas would look. It would be great seeing people walking around with cyberman "bits" but still clearly human with emotions.

If you do some youtube searching there is a 5 min "fan" film set during the Dalek Invasion of Earth, complete with movie style fire extinguisher "blasters" It was done for one of the big stage plays a few years ago, a "cutscene" to be projected for the audience.

And you must watch Dr Who Anime, I love this guys take on the Cybermen, taking the 80's "neomorph" design and turning them into kick ass and a lot more "real" feeling!
is the link

And look up Matt Savage's redesign for the cybermen, it kicks the backside of all new series designs! iirc Matt was the main guy to design the new Daleks, back in series 1 of new who.

That Anime is kickass! :D I'd love a series like that!

Back